Should I order the twin clutch or the 6 speed? | FerrariChat

Should I order the twin clutch or the 6 speed?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Riskinator, Aug 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Riskinator

Riskinator Karting

Feb 11, 2006
    North America
    So here's my question:

Should I order my California with the best of the new technology with the 7 speed twin clutch? Should I opt for the fastest shifting transmission Ferrari's ever built, with perfect downshift blips, etc.?

Or should I wait an additional six months (and perhaps save $20k) for the traditional 3 pedal car? Should I opt for the older technology that allows me to be more involved with the drive, allow me to hone my heel-toe braking, etc?

Good problems to have. I won't have to let my dealer know for a little while yet. He already has a LONG list of people for the California and I'm at the top of the list :D

2. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    If you want pure driver involvment this is not the car....

3. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    My vote goes for the traditional manual. I think they are much more fun to drive on the street and are more involving. Good luck on the new car!

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

Congrats on being at the top of the list! I don't know how much you will save on a three pedal car. 20K would be nice but I doubt they will discount it that much.

And you might have to wait a long time. I would get the car ASAP and then if you want to trade it in later for the manual you will probably make a little profit too!

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've been having the same debate. But, my feeling is that the dual clutch is the way to go for this car. What I'm waiting for the rest of the options list.

6. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    First of all: congrats on your upcoming stablemate.. :)

I have a question: how does one get on the top of the list? I always thought it was reserved for Ferrari's best customers.. but your profile only shows a Ferrari 360 in the "Wanted Cars" section... ? Either you haven't updated your profile yet, or you may be paying a hefty premium over MSRP?

thanks in advance for the info! :)

~shahedc

7. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Do NOT get a California. It's that simple... ugly in my opinion. You want a Ferrari that has latest technology and looks kick ass? Get a 599.

8. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I for one love the california,carsleuth that is YOUR opinion,obvioulsy others like it and others dont.You cant say "dont buy it".Many will buy it,and do you think the california is going to kill ferrari?no it will not.The 599 is not cheap,so you cant get off saying buy a 599..especially for a kid like yourself to say that to an adult who can afford a ferrari.my 2 cents lol.

i have loved the california since the beginning..

black on black with yellow stitching on the black leather.
    shields and yellow calipers.
    chrome ball-pollished challenge rims.

i dont know how anyone could pass on that..would love to see it done also...

--chris

9. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i would do black on black silver stitching, blacked out or smoked rims from the factory, yellow caliper and shield

10. Riskinator

Riskinator Karting

Feb 11, 2006
    North America
    It's a long story. Suffice is to say that I talked to some people about the car before the name was even known. I found that a new dealership was opening where I have a residence. I talked to the new Sales Manager... he didn't even have a list yet or even know the name of the car yet. He promised to start a list with me and he has held to his word! And he guarantees me MSRP.

11. Riskinator

Riskinator Karting

Feb 11, 2006
    North America
    If you want "pure" driver involvement... no new car lives up to the claim unless you have a full fledged race car.

I want a comfortable touring car to compliment my existing cars. BTW: Don't remember asking your opinion on that question. You have no understanding of my current situation or motivation for the California.

12. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I might be speaking out of turn here, but I don't see why a request for a manual should require some extended waiting time. Perhaps that is said to discourage the choice of the manual; but Ferrari has always happily built whatever is requested by the customer.

That said, I think you should go with the new technology and opt for the new tranny. I recommend getting a different Ferrari with a manual in order to have the fun you are looking for...

13. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    what a great story... ! :)

have fun waiting for the car, and look forward to the pics!

~shahedc

14. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    Twin clutch :D

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thats what I would get too. ;);)

16. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    It's official......Pap says twin clutch.

You have no choice to make now, your decision was made for you. :D

17. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Sounds like a completely KICK ASS car!!!!!

Can someone explain to me exactly what "dual clutch" is?

18. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
  19. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    I'm going for twin clutch. I just don't see the purpose of this car as warranting a 6MT. It's more for cruising and touring.

But, as with anything, it's your money and you should get whatever pushes your buttons.

I'm on the list, and excited about the car. I'm getting the 7speed.

20. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Get the traditional shifter. Be sure to also get the hand crank starter, drum brakes and wooden wheels with bias ply tires. That way you can really maximize the driver involvement you seem to crave. There may be a steam engine option available too. :)

21. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    There hasn't really been an ugly Ferrari since the 400i really. Also I bet a lot of people will be changing there minds once they see the California in person. I already am in LOVE with the California.

22. jais

jais Karting

May 27, 2005
    ATL
    I vote for the TC. A manual doesn't seem to fit the "profile" of this car IMVHO.

23. rjsmd

rjsmd Karting

Apr 20, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I would choose the twin clutch given my intended use for such a car: cruising, semi-DD, dinner out, etc.

24. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Whoever thinks the California is ugly needs to keep their opinion to themselves. Stop bashing other people just because they like it and want to order one. For example "Dont get a California, get a 599"...there is a pretty big gap there...and they are also completely different cars.

I will state my opinion even though it may not change your desicion. Stick with the California and get the dual clutch. The California is more of a cruiser car rather then a hardcore sports car.

25. AndyS

AndyS Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Andy Santos
    #25 AndyS, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
    If I was lucky enough like yourself to be on the list (and of course to have the means to make such a purchase!), I would go for the standard manual. There is just something about shifting your own gears. This would make the car a great all-around Ferrari. It is a beautiful coupe, an even move beautiful convertible with real all-weather capability, and still an involving sports car due to the 6-speed manual.

For all those who want a car to cruise to the the trendy bistro with minimal effort and with the sole intention of "looking good", get a Bentley!

Good luck on the purchase!