Rolex scratches easily? | FerrariChat

Rolex scratches easily?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bpu699, Aug 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Bought my wife a rolex about 6months, maybe a year ago. She wears it about every other day. I took a close look at it yesterday, and this thing has a ton of scratches in the brushed finish. Some large enough to catch your finger nail on. I was pretty shocked. I thought these watches were extremely difficult to scratch.

She basically wears it while doing office work. At the end of the day she puts it on the granite countertop (Is this why its scratched???).

The watch was bought from an authorized dealer, with papers, and was brand new...so hopefully authenticity is a non issue...

Is this typical???

My GMT is holding up fine, but I only wear it a couple times per month...

Any input appreciated...

2. Randy Harris

Randy Harris Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    R.C. Harris
    Rolex uses the toughest rated stainless steel in the business for their cases. If your wife's watch is taking an unusual beating I would suggest that maybe she's doing something that leaves it exposed: perhaps hitting it against the side of a pool, masonry work, sheet metal work, changing the oil in her Corvette, etc...
    Of course all watches will scratch. They aren't scratch resistant, except the saphire crystal.
    The good news is that your closest Rolex Service Center will make her watch look like new again at the next service interval.
    Randy

3. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #3 Bdel, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
    desk diving scratches are normal on an "everyday" watch (my Rolex included). Just use a "Cape Cod Cloth" to polish out the scratches

4. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Surface scratches are impossible to avoid. However, there shouldn't be anything noticable from more than 12" away. I've worn my SS Submariner almost daily for the past 7 years and it still looks amazing.

5. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My Sea-Dweller is Indestructible, I can stand in front of a Atomic Blast and they will find it embedded in a building 10 miles away still running. Not exactly a test I would like to experiance. I wear it everyday for 15 yers now.

6. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    If it is a gold watch it will scratch pretty easily since 18k is kinda soft. Your idea of light use and her idea may be worlds apart. I wear my sub daily and you'll be pressed to find a noticable scratch whereas my wife uses and abuses her datejust and it looks used and abused...

7. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    #7 GrndLkNatv, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
    Rolex uses SS (904L Stainless) that is harder/less prone to corrosion than Omega (316L Stainless) and the others... If you are getting scratches in one of their SS watches then something is wrong. Hairline scratches are normal but can be buffed out easily with Cape Code Polish, if it's a gold watch, then expect scratches, but gently buff them out with Cape Cod Polish as well and for a gold watch it's always good to wear a long sleeve shirt and cover the watch while banging around on the desktop.

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    904L stainless is generally used for it's excellent corrosion resistance, but 316L stainless is harder then 904L, just FYI.

9. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Either way Rolex's tend to show fewer scratches than Omega and the others, due to the qualities of the steel they use. I have owned and still do own numerous of each brand and my Rolexs don't show scratches near as bad as my Omega's. My Daytona versus my Broad Arrow is a perfect example, the Daytona shows no scratches after 8 years and the Broad Arrow is something I touch up all the time with Cape Cod.

http://www.pmwf.com/cgi-bin/ForumArchive/webbbs_config.cgi?noframes;read=54896

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks guys. The scratches are tiny, but numerous.... Perhaps my expectations were too high...I basically assumed these watches were unscratchable :)... Either way, I am happy with my purchase :)

11. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    What material? SS or gold?

Rolex stainless in some of the best in the industry, buff outs are not a problem.

12. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    All watches, if made of SS, gold, or even platium can and will get scratched depending on the activities a person does while wearing the watch. The rougher the activities, the deeper the scratches or possible dings will be. Also with Rolex, now many of their watches have polished center links and lugs (rather than a satin finish) and they are scratch magnets (Daytona, Milgass, newest GMT etc.) If you want her to have something thats virtually scratch proof get something in ceramic like a Rado.

Best regards,
    Dino

13. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Simply not true.

There is nothing special about the "qualities of the steel they use". 904 and 316 are roughly the same in terms of hardness, but 316 is harder - fact, not anecdote. The idea that Rolex watches are so much superior to Omegas such that a Rolex would be unscathed from use that left an Omega requiring constant touch-up is just crap.

Omegas and Rolexes have their differences.... susceptibility to scratching is not one of them.

14. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Precisely!

thank you :)

15. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall

The real point here is that "She is happy with my purchase".......

Our question is, if you bought her the Rolex, what did you buy yourself?

16. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I had a SS/gold Rolex for about 10 years. The only real flaw I recall on it was a little chip on the edge of the crystal on the face where I must have banged it really hard. Otherwise, it held up VERY well. I wore it nonstop pretty much for the whole ten years; sleeping, swimming, showering, partying, whatever. You name it, I wore it.