Books about sales | FerrariChat

Books about sales

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Andy1984, Aug 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy1984

Andy1984 Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    Anyone got a recommendation? I have sales experience but I wanna improve.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The Closers

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You could read a host of good books and pull only limited information from them. Make sure you're learning from a respected person.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    And honest person. There are a lot of people who are "respected" at one time or another then they get found out and end up being nothing but a schmuck.

My dad's has worked with many of those people in his life.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    When I say "respected" I mean respected.

6. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)

There are several good books on the "SPIN" selling technique.
    This is an honest approach to understanding a customer's needs and trying to fit what you are offering to those needs.
    I'm sure an Amazon search will bring up a few books on it.

As people, we all like to buy, but don't like to be sold to.

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Buy some stuff from Zig Ziglar and Joe Girard.

You don't need books that talk about the product you are trying to sell..........but rather the psychology of sales........and these two guys are great. BTW I have been a salesman for 20 years and partially credit both these guys for my success.

8. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    I few years ago my company sent me to a sales course called "The Counselor Salesperson" that is put on by Wilson Learning. Great course that I would highly recommend. It's pricey ($2,000 give or take), but worth it. Perhaps your company would be willing to pay or partially pay for it as mine did. It was a three or four day classroom course which pitted you with/against other salespeople from a variety of industries and varying levels of experience. Very useful course in which I still use the information today.

wilsonlearning.com

J

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I have successfully modeled my career through the teachings of David Sandler.

10. Andy1984

Andy1984 Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    thanks guys.

11. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Tom Hopkins (How to Master the Art of Selling) uses some very basic but deep selling suggestions. He has a couple of books out. I recommend them. I have probably read dozens of books on selling because it is how I made my living for most of my life. Like you, I knew that you never know it all but can pick up good things from a variety of people. Just keep what will work for you and put the rest of file for future reference.

Joe Girard (How to Sell Anything to Anyone) is kinda not my style. He sold a lot of cars but his style does not fit me.

Zig's books are good but more make you feel good books and leave little in the way of sales lessons. But I really like Zig and read everything he writes. He teaches a Sunday School class at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano. Go there and hear him and not have to pay a conference fee.

Napoleon Hills, Think and Grow Rich, a classic gem. As a man thinketh, so he is............If you have not read it, do it,

Og Mandino, The Greatest Salesman in the World, and many of his other books are very good also.

I have quite a few that I will pull out and list them for you.........

12. Andy1984

Andy1984 Karting

Apr 6, 2007
    #12 Andy1984, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
    I started by getting Zig Ziglar Secrets of Closing the Sale cause his name always came up when I asked about sales books. Im gonna order a few more soon. Think and Grow Rich is a popular one too, but I dont think that one is sepcifically about sales. The nice thing is I can find a ton of these books really cheap online. I even found some torrents for these books on audio.

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #13 PeterS, Aug 6, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
    I hate books on sales. The common thread they all have is that they are written by somebody that shows how a certain style worked for them and that if you want to be successful, you need to do things their way. I have a book outlined (With an awesome title) that I would like to complete. It has about 150 topics that I thought of over about a five year period. Each topic would have a page or two, no more. It will serve as a great reference so the reader can form their own style of sales around topics I point out, perfect for a new sales person or a seasoned pro that would like to add some polish on their skillsets.

ANDY: I'd give you 15 minutes on the phone for free to cover a few topics. If you like what I have, we could continue via fee-based that will pay you back in spades.