Wurth Sealant | FerrariChat

Wurth Sealant

Discussion in '308/328' started by F&M racing, Aug 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Any one use "Wurth gasket sealing compound " and had good luck with it for the waterpump/housing gasket ?

It's water resistent. I've used it on the cam cover corners so far.

Should the O-ring on the block side be changed very time, it looks good and I was just going to put a small amount of sealant around it.

2. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Anyone put together the water pump, gasket and thermostat assembly without sealant successfully and no leaking?

3. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    My water pump gasket has an orange/red sealant on it...not sure which brand though...

JIM

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I did a lot of performance/competition engine building and I do a lot of boat diesel engine work. No sealant is required on most gaskets IF the mating surfaces of the two parts are true. If it IS required, the shop manual will so state. Often, the mating surfaces get warped due to improper torque on the pertinent nuts/bolts. This results in requiring gasket sealer of some sort to fill the gaps. You might be surprised at how badly a mating surface can be deformed by ham-handed bolt/nut tightening. A torque wrench is an engine's best friend!

Recently I switched over to Permatex Ultra Grey for gasket sealing purposes and it can be used (and was designed as such) in lieu of gaskets. It is the replacement for Yamabond, Hondabond, etc and works very well. It has successfully sealed my Norton Commando and THAT'S saying something! Nothing else did, including the various commonly used silicones. Silicone is a tool of the devil, NOT because it's bad stuff but because it's almost ALWAYS incorrectly used and ends up depositing silicone squeeze-out in places that it shouldn't be, like oil passages, etc.

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The factory....

6. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Thanks, for the advise I think and go ahead and use a little of the Wurth sealant. I have Nick's bigger pump that I'm putting on the car.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Are you disassembling the pump and kitting it or putting in a new pump? If disassembling completely, you should true the gasket surface of the pump housing. You can do this by placing a sheet of 220 wet or dry sandpaper on a piece of 1/4" thick glass, wetting the paper with soap/water and moving the gasket surface of the housing in a figure 8 on the paper until the entire sealing surface shows the same pattern.

If you do this with any surface that can be treated this way - including new parts, you will find that gasket sealer is completely unnecessary. Most leaks in engines are caused by poor mating surfaces/improper torque on the parts.

8. F&M racing

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    No; new Nick Forza pump to my thermostat housing assembly.