Gumpert Apollo | FerrariChat

Gumpert Apollo

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by darthnefas, Aug 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darthnefas

darthnefas Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    #1 darthnefas, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Love it. Heard about it for 2-3 years ago.

Audi engine, right? Or was it the Ascari that had Audi engine? Lots of cool supercars coming these days, good with variety. But I doubt many will handle this car very well (aka. drive it on the limit and get away with it) - I guess the reward is huge if you can according to the Top Gear track record held by it.

3. BlahBlah221

BlahBlah221 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I had read it can't go over speed bumps lol, but its still pretty awesome.

4. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    Yup, it's an Audi engine. It does have issues with grip as the turbos kick in. It wants to step out and it almost needs to be straight to go, but it's just another nod towards less luxury and more race similar to what we all wanted in the F40 and really never got again.

5. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #5 agup48, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
    Ascari KZ1 has a BMW engine.

From Wikipedia: S62 BMW M5 V8 with dry sump lubrication

6. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #6 Far Out, Aug 3, 2008
  7. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #7 mattymouse33, Aug 3, 2008
  8. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    I'm not sure how much ground this actually holds, but it recently set the lap record at Top Gear's test track, Stig at the wheel.

This car in blue had been my wallpaper for a few days now. Interesting from all angles, and by no means a slouch!

9. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    ugly

maybe in 15 years I'll try again

10. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    Maybe I'm weird for saying this, but I really do think the Top Gear track is a good benchmark, especially since there is one guy driving and he is a pro driver and one track that isn't a straight line. If the Stig wasn't the driver I think I'd have different look, but he really does know what he is doing.

Is it an exact science? By no means, but it's also no respecter of car, which means it won't cater to any particular style of car and you can't pull out the one you like and give all the reasons it's the best while crashing on the ones you don't, which the Gumpert would definitely fall into the looks could give it a bad wrap department. It simply says, go and sorts it out at the finish line and I think it's done an exceptional job at that.

I think the benefits of the test track, now lost since it's off the air, proved to be too formidable for the Bugatti Veyron, which never supplied a car for their time trial.

11. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    I don't think you're weird for saying it at all...look at the leader board. It seems as though they have developed a track that seems to put cars in a fair place among their peers. The only thing with that is the rumor that there may or may not be different Stigs has yet to be dispelled. I have seen the police report after Hammond's crash where at least one F1 driver was pointed out as being present.

12. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    There are definitely more than one Stig. The real question is, was there only 2. ha ha. I would say yes, but if you'll notice that white Stig's line, he is consistent and the comment from Clarkson about the unusual line he takes on the back of the track that definitely makes it faster. So if there is more than two then they're clones.

He also always has a standing start, so you take that take off speed into context.

I'm not a big fan of the 0-100-0 test.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Is it just me or is the entire design a revamped CLK-GTR with gullwing doors, and just looks better?

14. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    So who was it?

15. Dave_Logic

Dave_Logic Rookie

Nov 24, 2007
    Last i heard there was at least 3 (not including special Stigs e.g. Winter Olympics special) , not going to sat any names as at least to of them can be found with out much effort

16. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Was able to get a ride in this wild beast...here's the in-car video:
    CLICK FOR VIDEO

And here are the original pics posted a few days after it's arrival into the USA:
    CLICK FOR PHOTO GALLERY

17. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    #17 darthnefas, Aug 6, 2008
  18. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
  19. rosso_fanatic

rosso_fanatic Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Long Beach
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I love these things! They look like Darth Vader on wheels. All they need to add is cockpit adjustable ride height and this would be the car to have.

20. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    I thought they did have adjustable height. Well, everything else is adjustable! You even get a knob for traction control... a knob!

21. rosso_fanatic

rosso_fanatic Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Long Beach
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I think you have to get out, find a wrench, and adjust the ride height by hand. Murcielago, Enzo, and quite a few others supercars have a button to raise the height of the front end to go over speed bumps. Gumpert would do well to add that feature to their cars.

22. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    Yes, it's wrench work, but its little more involved than the bumper raiser of other vehicles. Think, more like the Koenigsegg adjustments.

23. Speed_Demon

Speed_Demon Rookie

Aug 18, 2008
    Love this car, even its looks.

It's damn fast in Sport form, but I have seen nothing on just how fast it is in Race form with 800bhp.

24. Shinkaze

Shinkaze Karting

Aug 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Adam Bruce
  25. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk