How to check oil level - without the foam | FerrariChat

How to check oil level - without the foam

Discussion in '360/430' started by jjsaustin, Aug 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1 jjsaustin, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got concerned after seeing all these threads about cars burning oil (430s more so than 360s) and having the foamy Shell oil making it tough to read how much oil you really have. So I devised my own contraption with stuff laying around the house. I took some old plastic pipe (3/8" I think and ~10 inches long) and drilled some holes in the bottom (to let the oil in and not the foam) and one in the top (tied some fishing line to pull it back up).

No to measure the oil, unscrew the cap, insert the plastic pipe and then put the dip stick down the center of the pipe. Take your measurement then pull the pipe back up via the string.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    Doesn't the plastic tube drip oil all over the engine once removed?

3. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No, I just tap the tube on the sides of the oil resevoir, pull it straight up and put the rag underneath it.

No different, then pulling the dipstick really.

4. ferrariblue

ferrariblue Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Cody
    I use Shell Helix, and have never had "foaming oil". Mine is easy to read.

5. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim

That's good, others have had some foam. One member mentioned it is difficult to measue the oil level of Shell Helix because is foams or bubbles and switched to Mobile. Maybe it has to do with how you warm up the engine (let idle or rev RPM to warm up engine).

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206764&highlight=froth+oil

6. ferrariblue

ferrariblue Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Cody
    yeah,
    I usually check after driving the car a while with oil temp up to normal operating range. I check while engine is idling. Still no foam that I have seen. I think I would be concerned if I saw foam to that degree, sounds like air is permeating with the oil somewhere in the block or heads.