Brundle Inserts Foot In Mouth Again, ITV Nearly Censured | FerrariChat

Brundle Inserts Foot In Mouth Again, ITV Nearly Censured

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RP, Aug 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (from autosport)

UK Television channel ITV has escaped censure following complaints made about Martin Brundle's comments during its coverage of the Canadian Grand Prix.

The former grand prix driver sparked 36 complaints to the channel and TV watchdog Ofcom when he used the word 'pikey' during his grid walk interview with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone.

Brundle asked Ecclestone: "There are some pikeys out there putting some new tarmac down at Turn Ten, apparently. Are they out of the way yet?"

The complainants believed it was offensive and racist towards the travelling community, due to the word's origin as a derogatory term for Irish travellers. But ITV claimed it is used more widely today as a non-specific derogatory term.

It explained that it was meant in the latter context and that Brundle was unaware of the potential connotations and did not intend the remark to be derogatory towards travellers.

ITV issued an apology to any viewers who were offended by the comment. Ofcom welcomed the apology and stated that it considers the matter resolved.

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Obviously not an expression used here. Any Brits have opinions on this?

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't give a rats ass, it's gone PC mad here I hate it...:(

4. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Haven't heard the word used up here. Is it something you hear in your part of the world Steve?

5. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
  6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, but not very often if at all, fuss about nothing, Ian.

7. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Probably one of the great American exports you're enjoying. Don't worry--it only gets worse.

9. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tell me about it, I'm loving this credit crunch!! no F430 for me.... :(

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

I think I may even have to watch Snatch again - *Awesome* movie..... In addition to the classic "I hate fcukin' pikey's" it also gave us:

"Northern monkeys......"
    "Southern poofters......."

Having said that, "you" would certainly not want to be called a "pikey" - I am therefore a little surprised he used it on TV - It is certainly a derogatory term.

cheers,
    Ian

11. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
    So is Chav off the menu as well then?

12. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    No, "chav" is alive and well and in regular use, although some people don't like it much.

13. patricko

patricko Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick O'Neill
    And they would be people that like Burberry a bit too much? :)

14. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    That's one of their "crimes". ;)

15. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Isn't "gypsy" a non-PC word these days too?

pikey = gypsy

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep! - The PC term is "travellers" apparently...... [Non-tax paying, unemployment-getting, national-health-service abusing, criminal siht-head *pikeys* is the real story...... Hopefully, there's not too many of 'em perusing these forums..... ;) ]

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    You guys are funny, but really this whole PC thing is getting a bit absurd.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    PC crap in the UK is getting worse by the day. I've lived there for 3 years and went to school there for a bit. One time, we had a 'band' come down to the school to perform. It was a garage/MC thing with 4 or 5 black guys doing their thing... and i found it absolutely terrible. It was the last hour anyways so i decided to leave early.

coming at the bus station i was waiting there with some friends and when the mc'ers was finished, the rest of the kiddo's came. a lot of them gave me **** because they found it racist that i left...because they're black and i should like it. Eh?

Just a few weeks before that, a bus full of french tourist came down and as the chavs/pikeys do there, is try and beat the living **** out of them. i saw 3 14/15 year olds taking a little kid down (about 12 years old). i pushed two of them away and punched the other one....This was all in front of a lot of seniors etc in the school who just stood there. Yet all i got for that was....well nothing.
    kid was black.

Perhaps the funniest of all is that the kids who where giving me **** for being a racist where the ones standing around the 12 year old kid getting beat up.

I couldnt really give to flying' ****s about what they think about me though.

-

I think brundle already apologized about this though? either way i dont think he really cares what they think about him.

19. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tony, seriously 2 of my friends have both been arrested for protecting there goods, one took a offender to the police station for justice to be done. The lad fell on the step of the police station no big deal believe me, so the police arrested my mate and charged him!!. The lad had been stealing stuff from out of his shop, he got a slapped wrist and let off to continue his career stealing, and stuffing his face and veins full of chemicals, makes me spew, It's a freaking joke.

Tell a kid off you end up with a knife in your guts, touch them and get in there first and your in deep **** with the law.

Sorry for the off topic stuff needed to vent off...

20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Knew the Snatch terminology but my initial thought was Brit slang for 'turnpike worker'. Ignorance is bliss.

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

That's actually pretty good IMHO - Problem is, most Brits have no idea what a "turnpike" is unfortunately......

I bet Brundle wishes he'd thought of that interpretation though :)

Cheers,
    Ian