Buying new Lap top, need help please. | FerrariChat

Buying new Lap top, need help please.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by James-NZ, Aug 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I have brought 2 new lap tops in the last 3 days! Both Toshiba and both had dead pixels in the screen, I purchased one at a time, when i found the problem on the first one i returned it to the store and got the next model up and this had the same problem. The store is having a sale and they have some really great prices, they also are selling out of everything fast and have no more Toshiba lap tops in the specs (price range) i want.

They have offered me a HP with great specs, 2Ghz processor and 3Gig ram. All i will be using it for is Internet and photo editing, small other jobs but every computer can handle word processing and spread sheets :)

I was told be a friend of mine in the IT industry to only get "intel core 2 duo" and not to buy an AMD processor. The HP that i like has an AMD processor and my question is what is the difference, the guy at the store told me they are basically the same and the AMD processor in the HP is the same specs as the processor in the Toshiba i brought and returned.

Can someone please point me in the direction of what to do, should i wait and get an intel processor so will the AMD be fine?

2. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I've never been a fan of store bought machines (or most the brands you find there) if you can find an asus or apple or dell try those. Otherwise I'd order something online.

3. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    I use to be in the electronics industry with the IEEE, Institute of Electronic Electrical Engineers, they set the standards for most electronic products. I can assure you that the Intel is an awesome chip, and AMD is an amazing piece of equipment. I personally have 3 computers, Intel, AMD and Mac. The Intel is more prone to many issues then the other 2, then again its almost like a roll of a dice.

4. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I have a bunch of Macs and one Windoze machine. I don't know how anyone bothers with that damn Windoze stuff...

5. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona

Did they say why? AMD makes great processors, so I don't see the problem here. Surprised to hear about your Toshiba. They normally make really nice laptops.

6. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I think the processor comment is a "personal" feeling towards the Intel as apposed to anything that could be backed up by facts. When i brought my current laptop it has an AMD processor and my friend said i made a mistake and should take it back. Its been great for over 2 years...........

The Toshiba was a very nice laptop, i really like they way it looks and the feel of the keys. The speakers were Harman Kardin and sounded great, such a shock to buy 2 laptops in a row and both have faulty screens.

I just went back to the store and they have sold out of the HP. Back to the drawing board........

7. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    Is your friend also a pc gamer by chance? Intel has been king of the world for a while now with their core2 duo. AMD releases a solid product but its not in the same league as what Intel is currently doing. Obviously you pay a bit more for Intel, but for most its worth it.

8. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Seriously, you need a Mac, especially for photo work,

There's a reason they are smashing everyone in the sales.

9. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    For the subscribed guys please see this thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208646&page=2

Sorry for the double post but i thought i might get more traffic in the silver section.

Thanks for the thoughts here, I am still shopping and weighing up the pros and cons of each before i make my final decision. :)

10. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    Mac all the way!

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Get a MacBook Pro.

12. Axion23

Axion23 Karting

Sep 24, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    G
    i went mac and will probably never turn back. i absolutely love my macbook and have never had any problems. i've also convinced 2 of my friends to get the same one.

13. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    #13 Ferrari0324, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
    I opened a thread a couple of weeks ago b/c I wanted a laptop. I was set on the macbook but just needed some convincing... I'm glad I got it. And if you want to edit photos, it's definitely great for that!

Oh PS: Go now and you can get a free ipod itouch and free printer. You have to pay first, but the rebate comes a few days later. I'm trying to sell my ipod now, unopened 8gb Itouch for $150 if anyone wants it!!!

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

Strange the way that happens, huh?......... Once you "get it" its simply *cruel* to let your friends buy PC's.

The evil empire is, to quote someone I can't remember, "the absolute triumph of mediocrity".

Anyone remember those "Windows 95 = Mac 87" bumper stickers?

Cheers,
    Ian