Knock off and Knock off | FerrariChat

Knock off and Knock off

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by h00kem, Aug 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Having never owned a car with knock-off wheels can someone tell me the proper way to take the spinners off knock off wheels (Borranis)? I assume I take the knockoff mallet to the spinner but which direction is off and how best is it done to avoid scarring the spinner?

2. DeaneG

DeaneG Karting

Jan 26, 2006
    SF bay area
    I use a large custom socket wrench. Some other people use two mallets, a lighter plastic one against the spinner, then a heavy dead-blow mallet to strike the first. It's easier than using a single lead mallet.

Have the beer AFTER you are done mounting or demounting the wheels. The aluminum rims on Borranis are very, very easy to ding or bend with a missed strike.

3. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    The knock off comes off towards the front, on both sides, goes on towards the rear. If you're using a hammer, I prefer to put one hammer on the knock off and strike that hammer with an 8 lb soft lead mallet. When I'm in the shop, I used a large breaker bar (to remove) and torque wrench with a socket that fits over the knock off to remove and torque the wheels.

Steve

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    When I've done it, I've put a rag on the knock off ear and then hit it with the hammer.

The direction will be self evident, I believe.

5. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Leave the lead hammer in the tool kit and purchase a hammer from MSC (Manhattan Supply). I purchased an aluminum hammer which does not mark the knock off. The hammer looks like heck after a while but they are cheap enough to throw away and buy another.
    I also like to put a little anti seize grease on the threads of the knock off, it makes life easier the next time you need to take the wheel off.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

After a long wait, and many different tests and designs, Hill Engineering is now ready with the ultimate 3-ear knockoff tool!

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=335921

There might be cheaper tools on the market. There might be smashed up lead hammers with a little life still in them. There might even been a nicked Borrani in your garage. We doubt however, you'll find a better lifetime solution than the newly released Hill Engineering 3-ear knockoff tool. Try just one product from Hill Engineering, and you'll be convinced, there is no finer manufacturer of customer Ferrari parts anywhere in the world.

Our first supply of these will leave London in approximately 7 days. Preorders now accepted. Free shipping anywhere in the USA during the preorder period.

7. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

You remove a wheel by turning the knock-off in the same direction as normal wheel rotation for that side. There is an arrow on the nut of the wheels. That shows direction to turn to remove the nut.

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I padded the spokes well with towels and used a 4-lb lead hammer for off and on.

The next idea I had was to cut out a 1/4" plywood template that would slip over the back of the knockoff and protect the spokes and wheel.

All I did was bend the big metal tool from Seaport Casting; it's now a bookend for garage car books.

Hopefully, that new Ricambi tool will be the definitive solution.

9. DeaneG

DeaneG Karting

Jan 26, 2006
    SF bay area
    My Seaport tool put tiny marks in the edges of otherwise-pristine knockoffs (the black rubber dip coating on the socket is useless, it gets cut immediately), so I wrapped the pressure points on the socket with 12ga insulated copper wire I stripped out from some household romex. It was OK after that.

10. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Just remember, "Always to the back to tighten."

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That's a great price
    I just ordered one from Hill direct in the UK as I am in the UK and the total inc. everything came to $320

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#12 Ricambi America, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017