PF Coupe 0997 @ RM Monterey | FerrariChat

PF Coupe 0997 @ RM Monterey

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by deichenb, Aug 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi All,

As I am still in the hunt for a PF Coupe (Manion's car at Norbert Hoffer's was sold to a higher bidder), I am interested in #0997 coming up in Monterey (www.rmauctions.com). The car looks cosmetically acceptable by photos and the description, and it seem sto have recent work performed on it. Due to health issues, I am entirely unable to make the trip. Does anyone know #0997 well enough to describe its condition and provenance a little better than the auction site? Has anyone seen/driven/iwned this series one car?

Thank you in advance.

Forza,
    David

2. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Just saw it, what do you want to know? M

3. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
  4. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    In the registry it is said to have fibreglass engine cover & trunk lid! Has this been sorted?

5. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Have you been to Tom Yang's (www.tomyang.net)? Some of the work recent done to this car is documented in the diary entries of July 2008! Best wishes, Kare

6. deichenb

deichenb Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi,

Thanks to everyone for helping me with info on 0997.

I spoke to a fellow in the Northeast about this car today. It sounds so far like a nice mechanical restoration with descent cosmetics.

I didn't realize some PF coupes came with fiberglass components. To thie best of my knowledge, the 2 I have inspected in person had aluminum bonnets.

I suppose all that's left that I'd really like to know on the car is whether or not it needs any further work to be an effective rally participant, and if anyone has seen the body recently and intimately enough to notice areas of rust or other underbody corrosion.

It is bizarre considering to buy an expensive car sight unseen, but these vehicles are relatively rare, and I am considering making "the leap" in my quest for a PF to rally.

Forza,
    David

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Have never heard of a GRP bonnet, so that may be a mix-up. GRP trunk lids were pretty standard; about half of early production had GRP trunk lids, the rest being alloy. Best wishes, Kare

8. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    That info was from the then current owner posted on the register page in the link. You would think he would know.... I would check this before purchase.

9. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Why not speak to Tom Yang?

10. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Early inside plug cars have fiberglass trunks. Have had several.

11. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Did you buy it?

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Discussed on Tom's site - went to a dealer in Europe.

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Jean Guikas, GTC Sarl. in Marseille, France.
    Marcel Massini

14. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Who it seems, acording to Tom Y.'s site, has already removed the drum brakes and engine for separate sale. $190,000 for a parts car. Nice work Jean.

Best,

Yale

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    a matching numbers car, no less. unreal. and sad.

16. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Blame it on the weak dollar?

Al

17. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #17 246tasman, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
    This rather vicious report apperared in the current Ferrari Market Letter:

250 GT PF Coupe, S/N 0997 GT. Maroon with beige leather. Estimate $175,000 - $250,000. Visually maintained, largely original, 4 condition. Hammered sold at $172,500 plus commission of 10.00% = final price of $189,750. Chrome Borranis, bullet fender mirror, roof side marker lights. Bad fits, superficial repaint, discolored interior, engine looks rebuilt but then installed in a dirty compartment. A mistreated rat given the worst kind of superficial auction treatment. It's hard to be hard enough on a piece of ---- like this. Apparently someone actually bought it and paid a princely sum in the process, making it the poster car for Buyer's Remorse Illustrated. The catalog suggested it had covered just the 29,052 miles showing on its odometer, a number that the gritty, oily sludge coating the engine compartment mocked. Lot # 487 RM Monterey Saturday

Tom Shaugnessy posted this on Tom Yang's site for their comments. Nice one Tom! They were quite rightly very relaxed in response and pointed out that they had done what was requested by the owner to put it in good running order.

Also I would guess that Guikas will be fitting disc brakes & outside plug engine to the car for re-sale to recoup his investment. A shame in a way but at least it then has proper Series 2 spec, so it's not the end of the world except perhaps to some of the more extreme matching number fetishists (sorry guys!).

I have to confess that I bought 1421GT with the same thoughts in mind as I needed drum brakes & inside plug engine for a project, but that thankfully I managed to source them separately and the car will soon be running again (after many years off the road) with it's modesty intact.

18. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    I am glad to hear 1421 will remain a car.

Is she there yet?

Tom W

19. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Cleared customs at Southampton on Thursday. Expecting delivery on Tuesday. I'll email you when here.

20. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    When the guy loaded her on the truck he adjusted the big mercedes AMG four door above it with his hydraulics and the merc dropped to within about 6" of 1421's roof but stopped short. I took a quick breath. No harm done. He raised up the benz a bit and locked it all down.

He had a very nice rig with all those hydraulically adjustable ramps and could haul at least six cars. I asked him what the trailer cost and he said about $90,000.

I thought that was pretty reasonable for what it will do.

Tom W

21. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #21 246tasman, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
    1421 was always going to remain a car, just might have been transformed to second series spec (which to me too isn't as interesting as the first series)

22. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    I agree. And they just don't look as good with the 15" wheels.

Tom W

23. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert