FIX THAT "STICKY" 348/355 INTERIOR!!! | FerrariChat

FIX THAT "STICKY" 348/355 INTERIOR!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by saw1998, Aug 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 saw1998, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am sure that this posting is probably very "old news" to many of you who are long-time FerrariChat members, however, I would like to mention the absolutely incredible work that 285ferrari (Robbie) performs on those horrible 348/355 interior parts for the newer members - like myself.

While my 1998 F355 Berlinetta was almost perfect, it had several of these interior problems - the worst being the AC Control Panel and the two side AC vents. I was initially resigned to a possible replacement of the entire unit (at approximately $1850.00) or trying to install an overlay from Ricambi, along with ordering two new AC vents. While I've done a lot of both mechanical and interior work on my Ferraris, I was hesitant to install the Ricambi overlay as I knew that lining-up all the illuminated indicators, smoothing out the bubbles, etc.. would be difficult, at best! Just as I was going to "man-up" and order/install them, as luck would have it, I saw a listing on eBay by 285ferrari (Robbie) for a reconditioned AC Control Unit. A couple of e-mails later, I decided that discretion was the better part of valor, and my Control Unit and the AC vents were on the way to him.

I just received the Control Unit and AC vents back from Robbie today. I first have to admit that I should probably be the "Anal Retentive" poster boy - it really takes a lot to impress me. However, I was absolutely AMAZED at the fantastic job he did - the AC Control Unit and AC vents looked as good, or better, than new! Any 348/355 owners who have this problem - save yourself a tremendous amount of money, time and hassle and send your interior parts to 285ferrari (Robbie) for R/R. I really can't rate his workmanship and abilities highly enough! I can promise you that if you utilize him for an interior parts R/R, you won't be disappointed! I know many of you are probably saying that "well, I'll just do it myself". I initially thought the same way. However, once I removed one of the AC vents and used several solvents to try to remove the sticky "goo", I realized how messy and time-consuming this was going to be. Moreover, I'm sure he has "trade secrets" with respect to the correct solvent to use to remove the aforementioned "goo" without damaging the underlying plastic. I found all the solvents I tried left a white film on the plastic (indicating a softening and color-bleaching of the plastic). Also, trying to locate the correct color paint/plastic dye that will adhere to the plastic parts on a long-term basis, I sure, would be problematic. So call me a "wimp", I sent my parts to 285ferrari (Robbie). YOU SHOULD TOO!!!

I have attached two photographs of my AC control unit before and after R/R, so you can judge for yourself. This is the first time I have posted with .jpeg attachments, so I hope there are no problems. Please note that I'm reluctant to give out 285ferrari (Robbie's) address and phone number, so it is probably best for those of you that are interested to PM him.

P.S. This has NOT been a paid advertisement for the Committee to elect Robbie for Concourse Champion.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1. Nice work. :):)

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Damn.... looks better than new....!

Mike in Kuwait

5. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Looks great!

6. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    That's it, negative concours points for you!

:D

Just kidding of course, looks great...

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Looks excellent - how easy is it to get the a/c vents out as I cannot see an obvious pin or similar ?

8. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey Jimmie:
    Believe it or not, I used a thin stainless steel laboratory weighing spatula. But you can use a small regular head screwdriver with a thin blade having a width of approximately 1/4 inch. Although there are a total of three (3) plastic clips, you only really need to be concerned with the top and bottom one. The best way to access the top clip is to orient the slats in the AC vent in a downwards manner. If you look carefully with a flashlight you can just see the top plastic clip in the first slat/slot opening. Insert a small screwdriver into the slat/slot and just catch the "lip" of the clip. Gently push down and the clip will release from its metal tab catch inserted into the AC vent opening surround. Once you release the top tab the whole top of the unit can be gently angled outwards from the top. Once it did this, I oriented the very bottom slat/slot in a upwards manner so that I could gain access to the bottom clip (the clip is reversed so you'll need to lift up with the screw driver blade to release the clip). Once released, the entire AC duct unit just pulled right-out. Describing it actually takes much longer than to do it! Two tips: (i) if you use a screw driver wrap the blade in masking tape in case you "slip" and (ii) the clips only need to be pushed a small amount to get them to release - go slowly and don't be afraid to apply a little gentle pressure, their reasonably heavy-duty clips. When you replace the AC vents, I found I had to actually use a tool to get the top clip to engage its metal tab. Good luck.

9. f355alldaylong

f355alldaylong Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    South Carolina
    did mine the other day.. took no time. very easy. the ricambi overlay is top notch.

10. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    How do you get that crap off?

11. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Check-out:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132564

But remember, there is more to the R/R than just applying the overlay (e.g., color-matching the knobs, switches, etc.) I really like to do my own work, but in this case, I'm glad I let 285ferrari (Robbie) have at-it! He sent me .jpegs of his work and I decided that it was worth the comparatively small price to get an absolutely first-class job on a highly visible and very expensive part! It's your call.

12. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    +1 for 285ferrari (Robbie). He did my HVAC console as well and it looks perfect.

13. Pengster355

Pengster355 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2006
    Singapore
  14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Robbie will be getting a call from me as well....I am thinking I should simply strip my console out and send it all to him. :)

15. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm about ready to send my stuff to Robbie, I'm convinced. But I'm still sitting here thinking...'WTF is Ferrari thinking by putting this crap in a $140,000 car?!' It's inexcusable and embarassing. Can you imagine a 911 variant coming out of Stuttgart with such a poorly finished interior piece, that it breaks down to goo after a few EASY years??!!! This is a stupid problem.

16. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Dont be too mad, Mercedies did the same thing in 2000. I think they do not test enough to see.

17. Mera

Mera Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Rodney Dickman

Looked at a 97-98ish Diablo at an Italian car show I attended here today in Milwaukee. Had the same thing in the center counsel. Sticky black just like my 348. Not as bad but similar. Some Italian company must have persuaded them that this was good stuff. Had a similar type coating in my 97 Cougar years ago. Never got sticky but would peel if you cut into it with something sharp or dragged something across the surface.

Rodney
    1990 348 TS

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thanks for all the kind words Scott and others---I have done so many parts now that I think I have it down to a science on refinishing these pieces... Look in next month's Forza magazine for my ad!!!

I had an Fchatter about a month ago send me dang near every piece of plastic in his 355, about 25 pieces total---That was a job, but came out looking fantastic--He was quite pleased....

19. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Do you do 348 as well? Do you have a price sheet per piece?

20. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Yes, I can do any Ferrari with the sticky plastic... No price sheet, send me a PM with what your interested in getting done...