Rights when returning something without a receipt | FerrariChat

Rights when returning something without a receipt

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by racespecferrari, Aug 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #1 racespecferrari, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
    When my daughter had a day out in Norwich a few months ago I asked her to go to Maplins. She got me some toggle switches which were the wrong ones. Typical teenager lost the receipt. When I returned them myself a few weeks or so back (in their Maplins packaging) they said they wouldn't return anything without a receipt.

They were only a few pounds each but I would never use them.

I am looking to buy the correct ones and a few other parts I need for my car, so I will be spending more money and not looking for a refund.

Where do I stand?. Do I have any Statutory rights with this?

Any help would be great.

2. sozzel

sozzel Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    You are still entitled to a refund as long as you can prove you bought the goods from that particular shop/company.

3. TSP 11

TSP 11 Rookie

Apr 11, 2008
    Dorset,England
    Full Name:
    Thomas Stephen Pike
    Hello,
    I think you will need a receipt to obtain a cash refund from most shops but they will usually offer an exchange or credit note if you cannot produce the original proof of purchase so you should not be out of pocket,especially if the items are still in the original packaging.If they want to be obnoxious demand to see the manager or contact their Head Office, surely they value customer relations.
    Best of luck, Tom.

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Actually, technically... in the USA, at least, thats wrong. All sales are considered final, unless otherwise posted. The ONLY reason stores allow return is to increase customer satisfaction. But even then they draw limits, usually at 30 days. And then without a receipt, you are screwed....

At least thats what a lawyer once told me over drinks...

5. ferrari-nut

ferrari-nut Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    ANTHONY
    LOL

6. spidermanUK

spidermanUK Formula 3

Feb 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Clive
    Unless the items are faulty OR your daughter "relied on the seller's skill and judgement" (she asked for a switch to fit a certain application, rather than by part number or simply selecting from a rack) or they aren't what the packaging states they are,you have no rights at all. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994

7. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I did realise that pretty much straight away.

They have been thrown in a box in my garage now, so they might get used on another project someday:)

8. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Actually, many stores will take a return without a receipt but issue you store credit. They often do this because the item is normally a stocked item and they want a happy customer.

Check to see if they will exchange for the right size. They may do so.

9. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I did try a couple of times but both staff said that they need the number/code off of the receipt to issue any refund or credit note/voucher.