Romantic getaway advice | FerrariChat

Romantic getaway advice

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by otaku, Aug 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'm hoping to surprise my girlfriend (known each other a year by this planned vacation) in January thinking maybe new years in new york. She's never really been anywhere outside of the west or really even the state we live in. Just wondering what hotel we should stay in, where we should eat, what we should do how long we should stay etc etc also how much it should all cost? I don't want to spend to much money (couple grand tops 2-3k) the less the better

2. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    go on a cruise ;)

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
  4. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i don't know how you are when it comes to crowds, but new york on new years eve is about as big a crowd as they get. i agree with the cruise, it's something nice, you see more than just one destination, and you can really spend just about what you want, you can get an inside cabin and no restaurant service, however i would definitely say splurge a little and get a room with a view of the ocean, it's definitely worth the price.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    if you dont want to spend much forget NYC, a cheap hotel is $200 + a night and probably $400 for New Years

Tahoe is right next door and its Very romantic

I got a bungalow on the beach for Valentines day last year

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Agreed with the other posters, NYC is a rip during New Year's. Plus you'll likely freeze your tails off. One of the best New Years I ever spent was in Key West, relatively inexpensive, great fireworks and it'll probably be around 70 degrees. Nice romantic getaway.

7. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    New Orleans is fun for New Years and you will be more comfortable then NY,NY.

Sugar Bowl rolls at the same time if you want to see USC get beat by LSU.

8. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    Nothing romantic about NYC on New Years. Crowded, cold, expensive and everyone is rude as they get.

Go to Fiji.

9. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    As other have said a cruise is a good option. Just keep in mind that ships somewhat crowded.

If you are looking for something a bit more intimate go to a small island in the caribbean. Plenty of choices, from unexpensive/basic to very highend.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Eklutna, Alaska is the #1 spot in the US for surprise vacation spots. You folks should have seen the crowd when Glicky stopped by in his P4/5.

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky

.............Well.........you might not like what I have to say.......but here goes! Your bio says that you are only 20 yrs. old and a student.

Is this girl your fiance'? If not, I'd seriously think twice about dropping the kind of coin you're talking!

Can you really afford to 'lose' 2 or 3K; I doubt it! When I was a kid living in OR, my parents used to take us to a Dude Ranch in the Sawtooth Mts. Last I knew, Carly Simon owned it and it was a great getaway.

Think twice before you jump in with both feet, you've only been together for a year. She could be gone tomorrow, and so will your money!

12. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    +1

13. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #13 Whisky, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    ???

Girlfriend, Fiance', Lover, Wife - ANY of them could be gone tomorrow, so that part of your advice is pointless.

My thoughts are: do what you want to do NOW, you may not get another chance....

So many things in Life I had the opportunity to do when I was 20-25, but seldom did, and now, 25-30 years later, with a wife, 2 kids, college expenses, a wedding to help pay for, a mortgage, 2 new cars, and layoffs looming, there are things I may never get to do... and some of them are pretty simple things, too.

PS - I know of folks that got married after dating 6-8 WEEKS and are still married 20 years later, and I know folks that have dated someone 4-5 YEARS, got married, and it didn't last a year.

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You can spend very little money and have a great time. Take into consideration what she likes and what she likes to do and use that information as the infrastructure of your plans. If she likes a quiet and reserved kind of getaway, consider an extended weekend in Savannah. Flights (when made far enough in advance) plus hotel room won't be more than a grand. A few nice places to eat, a few fun things to do and you've had a great, romantic time without blowing a huge load of money.

Maybe she likes the country side. A few days at a bed and breakfast in the middle of nowhere is always fun. Perhaps - as William mentioned - a place on or near the beach. Think about what she likes, what she thinks is romantic. If money makes her cum (as the song goes), well, then, take her to Vegas and rent a Ferrari. But if that's the case, then she's probably not the right one for you.

Not that I'd care to elaborate, but I had a very romantic weekend with a then-girlfriend when I was a homeless teenager in Manhattan. It's all about what you do - not where you go.

15. P Charming

P Charming Rookie

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Warren Dodge
    Spend as much as you can afford to lose if things don't work out. NYC is nice, but at that time of the year it will be packed. Think Florida. Take her to Disney. The higher end resorts (Grand Floridian, Polynesian) are pretty romantic.

16. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Wine country in CA could be nice if y'all are 21. Just came back from a wedding there this weekend -- very nice and if you look, very reasonable.

17. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Josh seems to have left the building?

18. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007
    I would not take her anywhere. I would spend that money on myself. Take a trip to Japan and hike the Alps solo. Much better than being holed up in a stuffy condo and agruing with some chick the whole time.

19. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I haven't left the building I'm right here. I may only be 20 and in school but my car is paid for (and 1 year old) and so is hers. School is covered at least till I graduate (debt won't be to bad basically a car payment, my rate isnt bad either) as for the girl we've been together a year just recently had our first kid (girl btw) I'm very likely gonna go for it I can swing a little cash toward this. I wish she were into Japan I'd totally go but that will have to wait, travelling alone sucks I don't want to till I have to. No plans to marry I don't want to get screwed over if things go bad (hopefully they won't) thanks for the advice guys I'll let you know how it goes

20. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Marry her for your new little girls sake, and be a real honest for goodness family with a dad and everything.

You don't sound like with school and all you should be spending money on vacations, but I've preached enough here already!!!!

So why do you want to go someplace COLD like NYC in Jan when you come from Idaho?!?!? Is that not cold enough?!?!?

Go to a Bed and Breakfast in some warm place. Let someone else do all the work so you can focus full time on your lady friend. That is what she wants and considers romantic, time with you. Do it at a pace where you don't get all stressed out from travel and destroy the mood.

All advice given in good spirit, hope you take it that way!

21. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Wow this is new information. Congrats on the new kid! With that in mind skip the trip this year take the 2-3k and put it in a college fund now. Compound interest is your friend and every year counts. Do something sweet and close to home with your girl friend and let her know you've started the fund. I can guarantee you she'll be much more appreciative of that than a trip.

Make a date to take the trip next year.

22. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're a 20-year-old student WITH a baby, and you're going to drop $3k on a vacation? That doesn't make much sense to me, but it's not my call.

23. ADON

ADON Formula 3

Feb 8, 2007

Getting married just for the sake of the baby is the absolute worst thing you can do. It's not the 1950s' anymore. That's old school way of thinking. There's nothing that says you have to be married and live under the same roof to be good parent. You should only get married if you're committed to your wife. That's the whole point of it. If you're not committed, then you and the wife are both going to be miserable, and the kid gets to watch you fight 24/7 so now everyone is miserable.

What's better for the kid? Having two happy parents that are divorced, or two parents are married and constantly fight?

24. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #24 otaku, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys. Well college is more or less paid for (lots of scholarships from the school and the state/fed I will have very little debt if any depending on how much work I can manage) housing is taken care of we will live in campus (its a christian school though, NNU and they want us to be married as opposed to the current setup) its not that I'm not dedicated to her and my daughter its just...I don't want to get railroaded somewhere down the line (whether thats a year from now or twenty) out of 20k a year tuition I am only paying a few thousand so no worries. And since some of the other guys have asked here's a photo of nicole (Im usually behind the camera, and shy so :p) worst part about living with a woman-the decorating I miss my old lamp haha.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    #25 Darolls, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
    WOW, GREAT PIC!!!

She's gorgeous.....:rolleyes:

Me thinks we've wasted enough bandwidth with this BS.