IT'S THE WATERPUMP!!!! | FerrariChat

IT'S THE WATERPUMP!!!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by jbrosseau, Aug 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    some of you may remember my thread about my 79' 308 and its loss of coolant and and erratic temp. issue.

so i bled the waterpump housing and the radiator. blocked off the top return line of the coolant reservoir and filled the tank with a 50/50 mix.

started the car and let her warm up. watched the tank with the cap off to see what the coolant would do.

but i noticed as i was looking around a wet spot under the car. but it was not under the overflow hose outlet,,,,

i started to look around and i noticed green coolant on the oil pan. my mind began to wander,,,,

i got a flashlight and started looking at every hose and tube i could find,,,,,

finally just by luck i noticed a drip in the corner of my eye from below the pump housing. ****!!!!!

so can it be rebuilt with new bearing etc by a local shop or am i stuck with buying re-manufactured or OEM?

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i would call t rutlands and see if they have the kits.

3. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    already been looking online,,

looks like i can get away with a new or reman pump for 3-4 hundred,,,

not the end of the world,,,

4. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Without reading the other thread, I find it hard to believe that a "drip" would cause the overheating. But then again I've been wrong before. Let us know how the rebuild of the pump goes, pictures are always appreciated.

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
  6. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau

im not positive on the time the pump has been dripping. but from the looks of it, it is dripping a drop ever 3 seconds or so.

so if it is a drop every 3 seconds then even just 2 hours of drive time, that is a good amount of fluids.

7. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
  8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The 308 WPs are easy to rebuild. Cost is typically $100 - $125 for the parts. It takes about 2x as long to remove & reinstall the WP as it does to rebuild it. Figure about 3 hours all told, maybe 4 hours 1st time you do one.

This thread has pix of all pieces of a WP, some tips on rebuilding, & links to a couple of the better WP rebuild procedure sites:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47191

There are several good WP rebuild threads in Tech Q&A, search is your friend.

Be careful, some those 'new' pumps being sold in Europe have very porous sand cast housings that have been reported to leak. Also they have a cast iron impeller that isn't as efficient as the brass impeller that came with the original pumps. If the housing looks really rough, it's one of the sand cast ones.

9. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Look for the flying dutchman for a rebuild. These pumps are a known weak point in the 3x8 series.

10. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Yeah, I noticed that too on some of the various parts supplier's websites... I agree, I'm not impressed with the looks of them. What's the deal with all of the holes inbetween the vanes on the cast-iron impellers?

11. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    #11 Modeler, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
    Your's is a '79?

When were your cam belts done last?

To quote one who's been there -
    "On cars prior to the 1979 model year, the water pump was hidden by the front cam belt cover. (It¹s also fouled by the rear cam belt cover but this easy to remove. See footnote). If your car is this model, I¹m sorry but to remove the water pump is a real pain. Unfortunately you will have to remove the air intake ducting, air conditioning compressor and the coolant hoses from the thermostat housing. You may as well throw a set of cam belts and tensioner bearings on if you need to remove all this! The pump is then very easy to remove, just seven nuts and off it comes. Unless you are an originality freak, use the side of the pump as a template and mark the area on the forward cam cover that fouls it. With a steady hand and an angle grinder you can remove the 7mm of offending aluminium from the cam belt cover. A medium grade grinding wheel will actually match the factory casting marks pretty closely, so if you are careful, you will not be able to tell it¹s not standard. The post 1979 cars had the cut out cast into the cover making removal much easier"

Just when exactly the change over was is any body's guess.
    With any luck your's may have already been modified.

Edit
    Link to quoted passage.
    http://www.r-design.net/308/index_e.html

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Has Jacques of MaseratiSource started making these?
    He used my NOS for the one on the Dino and the quality is very high PLUS if he uses your NOS he gives you a VERY good deal if you supply the original part to help he make an Engineering template.

Here is how mine came out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190239619645

13. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    mine is not as described,,, luckily.

i can get to the pump easily. it is not blocked in too bad.

thanks for the scare though,haha

14. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Joe,

I have just overhauled my waterpump. It's easy to do, but it takes some time. I had ordered two new bearings, seals, gaskets at Rutlands. Total on parts $130,-. Make sure you order the right seal, there are two kinds of diameters, small and large. Same for the bearings. The waterpump housing has two small holes on the bottum side, it's normal if there might be some dripping of cooling fluid from there if you have changed fluid. To check if the waterpump is really the problem you can investigate by putting the end of a long screwdriver at the waterpump housing and the other end at your ear, have the car running obviously. Mechanical malfunctions can easily be isolated this way. Sounds stupid but it really works.

Good luck.

Jan

15. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    I'm sorry, it was not my intention to scare you.

@Kiko312
    A mechanics' stethoscope is not very expensive and is much better than a screwdriver. They range from $10 us up.
    They resemble a normal stethoscope but have a thin probe attached to the diaphragm instead of the trumpet a medicos' stethoscope has.
    Trick is gathering sufficient experience listening to a healthy engine that one notes the difference.

16. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Thanks, I didn't know that such a stetoscoop excisted.

17. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    10-4 that is a fair amount of fluid, probably more when under pressure.