Bad synchro on 2nd gear on my 360? | FerrariChat

Bad synchro on 2nd gear on my 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by DMaury, Aug 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Since getting the 360 a week ago, I have noticed something that's either a quirk, or something more serious. Sometimes when driving the car fast, and shifting from 1st to 2nd at high rpms(6000 or so) the car will NOT shift right in to 2nd hear, it’s like hitting a block. If I let the revs go down to around 3K, it goes in fine. Also, when driving at normal speeds and shifting at 3-5 K rpms, it goes into 2nd like butter. It only sticks when I rapidly accelerate in 1st and then shift at the high RPM.

At first, I thought nothing of it, as I’m USED to 2nd gear doing this in my 328.

The car is fully warmed up when trying this maneuver as well, so it's not that.

Sound like a worn syncro on 2nd? It's a manual, so really nothing to adjust on the clutch, right?

2. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I don't think it is a syncro even with a bad syncro you should be able to force it into gear. it sounds more like a clutch (thrust bearing or pressure plate) or a motor mount .

3. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Car was PPI'd at both Algar AND FoW. Only thing found was transmission mount needed replacement and tie rods. Car has 7K miles. Was told clutch was good.

4. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Sounds like the shift linkage needs alignment.

5. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    When I said "motor mounts" I was including (in my own mind) the rear trans mount. That could be the culprit.

6. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Yes, but I had them replace the tranny mount and the tie rods. This is a fairly consistant thing, it should have been caught before it was shipped to me. No biggie, I'll get it fixed whatever it is, it's just a bit annoying. ;)

7. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    #7 duskybird, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
    Like Jeff said it could be the linkage. It just seems that it is somewhat rpm/torque related.

8. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007
    Throwout bearing (associated with whining sound).

9. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    OK, I'm also thinking it's either a sticking throw out bearing or linkage adjustment. It does do it occasionally in first and third, and it also did it at a low rev (although the engine wasn't all the way warmed up yet) I also found I CAN force it into gear, but it takes a moderate amount of force. What I did was just try to put it in gear again (kinda double clutching) a few times and then it went in. Then for the rest of the drive home it shifted flawlessly in all gears; at high revs and normal ones.

If it was something like the linkage needing adjustment, wouldn't that be something that would be present on EVERY shift and not come and go?

10. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    What year is your 360? I had a late 2001 3 pedal car that had your shifting problem. The car had two problems. The linkage was out of adjustment just a tiny bit. Sometimes it would shift flawlessly other times not. The other problem was due to the O-rings in the transmission. The O-rings were not sealing properly and letting air into the system and affecting the shifting. Ferrari had to redesign the O-rings. There was a TSB or recall on the standard 6 speed cars. F1 transmissions were not affected

11. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Yep, it's a 2001.

12. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Did it a few more times today under hard driving. I went back through the service records from Algar, and on 4/25/07 there was a service because on a difficulty shifting from 4th to 5th, having to drop to neutral, then into 5th. They realigned the linkage and that fixed it.

Later, on 9/26/07 a technician found the clutch release bearing to be sticking; R&R gearbox, replace clutch release bearing and flange, replace all related seals, reassemble.

So, here's hoping that that bearing is still good (after only 11 months and 3000 miles) and it just needs another linkage alignment.

13. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    It was the transmission mount, of all things. Definitely worth checking it out- hard to believe that would cause it, but after it was replaced there was no more trouble shifting in to second.