Just a few quick questions, or should I say advice? | FerrariChat

Just a few quick questions, or should I say advice?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fiat4Fun, Aug 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So,
    I am getting closer to picking up my "new" 328. 43 days and counting.....
    The car is Santa Cruz, Ca. and I am in Central Oregon, roughly a 9 hour drive. I am planning to drive the car back home. I did check out the 30k repair records, which was done in '04 and about 7k miles ago. The owner is having the car serviced, with a oil change and the car checked out, before I drive it home. I do have a few questions from you more "experienced" owners.

1. I know that many feel that the belts should be changed every 2-4 years, regardless of milage, but it will need to be done when I get it home. The car was serviced by Patrick Ottis for the 15k back in '90 and the 30K done in '0, at Ferrari of SF, and has been driven weekly. Anyone feel I should not drive it, as I am taking on to much risk?

2. I have gotten nervous about a rock hitting the front lights/indicators as the seem to VERY tough to find to replace. Should I install a 3M product to protect them before I take it on the highway for a long distance? Any other thoughts of protecting them, or should I not worry about it.

3. Since I am driving it home, I was thinking of either driving down one of my other cars, and having a friend follow me. Another option it to fly down, and have a friend go with me on the return drive. The idea being that if something was to go wrong, I would need to tow it anyhow, so why have a "chase" car in this era of cell phones.I was planning on shipping down a tool box full of possible items in case of a road side repair. I even thought about sticking it on a trailer, but most of my local mechanics have been telling me to drive it.....

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Any other precautions you can recommend?

Soon to be a F-car owner..........

2. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    I live in the bay area and just got back from Eugene. It's 650 miles, and a lot of bugs. I suggest that you fly in, check out the car, and have it put on a truck. If you're going to drive down yourself why not rent a flatbed trailer and tow it back yourself?

PS: IMHO if something breaks a simple tool box isn't going to help.

3. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    From my research, if it's been driven weekly the belts are probably fine. I'd recommend some extra fuses and a flashlight, but then again I have a Mondial. I test drove it during the day, so I didn't realize that the fuse for the instrument lights sometimes burns out after about 20-minutes. I still haven't determined the problem. And maybe get AAA-plus, I think they will send a flatbed if you ask. I think you're right about a chase car-sounds unneeded. Just take along a friend to share the excitement, or lend moral support. The 3M film isn't a bad idea, although I have a hard time believing it will make much of a difference. I would think it may stop chips, but not outright breakage.

Have a great time, that should be a beautiful drive.

4. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Here's my take. Drive it. 2 years, or 3 yrs for belts is really too soon, and a waste in my opinion. The belts were done in '04? You should be fine. If the car checked out fine, then it should be good. A 328 can handle a nine hour drive, it might be a little rough for you, but it would be a lot of fun. One thing you might want to bring with you is an extra radiator cap for the overflow. When the caps get old they tend to leak when the car warms up and pressure builds in the system.

Jim

5. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 76Steel, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
    Hey Bob,

I can't comment on which exact tools you should bring ..... maybe some flat tire remedies (fix a flat/ better jack) in addition to comments on the subject. The only thing I wanted to add to th eguys' posts, that taking a friend with you and enjoying the ride together would be great. Also, you'll have someone for moral support and you'll most likely feel more at ease in driving a new to you car.

Belts from 2004 and with 7K miles on them? - I would not worry. FYI, I replaced my belts after 7 years, they had 2K miles on them and my guy told me the belts looked great when they were replaced. Situations are different sometimes, but this should give ya a little piece of mind.

In any case - enjoy your new car!!!

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    When I picked up my '77 308 two years ago, I brought it home on a two day drive. I'll admit that I did have the belts replaced before this drive, and maybe I was lucky, but she ran flawlessly for the entire two days. I'm pleased that I did it -- it was the best drive I've ever had in the car.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fly in, check it out and drive home the next day. It's a great way to get aquainted with your new car and a drive you will long remember.

Dave

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I concur.

I think the car would make it -- 328s are tough, and yours sounds like it has been looked after. But as islandguy said your car will probably take a lot of abuse enroute. If you drive it, at least find some interesting roads -- I love my 328, but I can't think anything more tedious than droning along on the freeway cruising amongst the semis. I would get it transported in an enclosed truck and get acquainted with it locally.

If you do drive it, I would have that mechanic inspect the fuel lines, coolant hoses (specifically the one the runs under the intake plenum) and brake lines before you go. The cars were well built, but they are 20 years old -- well beyond the lifespan of any of these cheap but crucial bits. You're much more likely to have issues from those than to have a timing belt problem.

9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    +1

10. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
  11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I got 7 years and 8k miles on my belt and "m still driving it at least once a week.

I think you shoulld be fine, drive it and yes, have a friend follow you and bring your tools.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Go for it, I did the reverse trip Portland to Houston, on 12 year old belts (1000 miles on them)

Tool #1 Fire Extiguisher, a large one
    Tool #2 Cell phone

Option #1 Pretty girl!
    Option #2 Pretty girl's gas card

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #13 308 GTB, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Options #3, 4 and 5 Bring along these techs:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Go for it. A 9 hour drive isn't that long, not like an overnight trip. Have the fuel lines and coolant hoses checked/replaced, bring a cell phone, fire extinguisher (not a chemical one as they will destroy the electronics, but a halon one) check on this site and make a list of the names/numbers of repair shops along/near your route, bring a friend if you want, and have fun. Take pics and post them. As for the front fog/driving lights, I have the clear protective film over mine. It wont save them from a direct hit from a large rock, but will protect them from getting cracked/chipped by the many small stones/ect flying around. Don't think you will be able to fly down to the car with a fire ext., so if you buy one just have it shipped to the shop where the cars is. I drove mine 4.5 hours home that first day. Great way to get to know your car.

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also long freeway driving is always better than city driving:)

16. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Not that big a trip. I've done rt Portland Monterey couple times. If you are uneasy, avoid weekends and darkness, avoiding weekends only so service would be available if needed, things seem to break on Saturdays for me. Re belts, until a short while ago, 7-8 years was the 'suggested' norm for belt changes, and realize anedotal belt stories are without merit. You should have equal concerns about tire dates. Enjoy the drive, especially if you use 97.

17. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey Bob,

I live very close to Santa Cruz (and am a 328 owner) and I've made templates for the front lights. Buy the material from Griots, trace the outline with my templates, and apply before your driving adventure. You can PM me when you are heading this way. It takes maybe an hour to trace the pattern and install. Those lenses are not just hard to get, the originals are virtually non-existent. Even plastic replacements are something like $1800 each so you want to protect them. +10 on Bullfighter's recommendations on hoses and lines. Interstate 5 is the quickest and most boring route home .. Hy 101 or Hy1 are the scenic. Given that this is your shakedown cruise I might be inclined to take Hy 5, stop often (your ass will let you know .. don't sit on your wallet), relieve the boredom by taking a friend, and save the adventurous driving for when you get home and have the chance to become better acquainted. Enjoy what has been called the most reliable Ferrari built.

18. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    just curious. Which lenses are yopu talking about ( i'm getting nervous too now)

19. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The clear glass ones on the lower front (parking/turn/driving). The narrow upper plastic section is available but the lower glass ones are just not around unless you have a lot of money. They are so low to the pavement that they are vulnerable to rock damage. Clear plastic film .. 10 to 40 mils thick will help protect them. It will not stop a brick but it may stop a small rock.

20. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for all the feedback. Does anyone have the number for those three "techs", as they can help me out anytime.......

Does anyone recommend a bra for these cars? If so, where are they available from?

I am thinking I should cover the lights, as it seem like a good protection

Starting to get excited........about the car, not the "techs"