I am gonna list my testarossa on ebay, need help. | FerrariChat

I am gonna list my testarossa on ebay, need help.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rskdsk, Aug 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    #1 rskdsk, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am thinking about selling the 1986 Testarossa on Ebay, however the prices seem a bit flat. Any advice on best way of selling?

1986 Ferrari Testarossa US car
    single high fly mirror (single lug)
    Red exterior, tan interior
    44k miles
    Recently serviced (full service)
    Recently new clutch/bearings
    Recent tanny/differntial rebuild
    Recent rads refurbished
    ++++
    Car is in excellent shape.

Know issues
    Minor curb rash on rims
    drivers seat worn (no rips)
    slight warpage of glove
    annimic AC

I am guessing that Ebay will bring between 45-50K
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Pay the nominal fee to be "subscribed" and place it on F-chat ads.

Jeff

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

with all you have done in service, it should not bring one penny below 50k...not one penny!!!!

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i thought with some 88.5 TR's dipping into the $45-$49k range, that some of the early cars were around $40k + / - ?

i have been watching prices of these carefully, and may be able to acquire one by winter.

have many of these cars had the diff modded to 512 Tr specs by now? i know the weak diff and the cost of an engine out is a serious issue for me, as i sit here on the bench, wanting to get into the v12 game for the first time.

aside from the 88.5 on ferrari ads for $49,500, i have seen several others, and in other colors other that red, (they are even less by several $k.)

some of us do not care for red! :)

i do not see why the early knock off car are shunned by some though. almost all the aircraft i work on have the wheels held on this way, and there are almost no issues with them coming loose! i think its the fact that people do not like change, and the difference from wheel bolts, to lug nuts, to a center lug knock off, is a big step.

i think they are just fine!

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I listed my TR in ferrariads and had a lot of repsonses initially, but then things got quiet. I think that because most people on this forum already have a Ferrari...so there will be a pretty low number of people who are truly potential buyers.

So I listed my car on ebay and it sold in 2 days, for $57k. I would say that your car should be at least $50k on up. What ever happens don't give it away....that will only serve to depress the TR market even more than it is now. That would only fuel the fire of those people who say that TRs can be bought for $35k all day long.... (bottom feeders!)

My ebay listing was bluntly honest and to the point. I listed all the positives, and also all the negatives. I also listed an overview of the history of the car back to the time of original sale, and I showed the compression test results from a recent PPI. The buyer said it was because I disclosed EVERYTHING...that he was interested in the car. Also have a phone number where you can be reached for questions.

6. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    Great advice ... I can tell you that my car will NOT sell for anything less than 45k and with all the DOCUMENTED work I have done, I would hope that it could bring 50K+. Yes the market is very soft, however these early models are not losing value, they are going up! ... Even with todays economy.

How about other sites? Ferrarichat is a good site, however, as stated, people here already have Ferrari's.

If you know of someone looking, I am located near Pittsburgh and my email address is [email protected] (706) 832-5999. Once I post it, I'll drop a line here for you guys to critic the ad!

7. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Why sell the car? Seems like you've gotten it all fixed. Seems like you're selling at a loss.

8. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    $55 buys a NICE TR.$45 will buy a nice TR sometimes.Watching that 512 @$68.4,Thats a Market Maker.

9. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I feel dramatically ill-informed: where's 'that' 512 at $68.4?

10. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +1, I agree, good point.

11. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    More like an exception.

12. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    It depends how long you are willing to sit on the car for. Ebay is not a reference but does give a feel for the level of interest out there. Cars are not selling even at low prices - If a 86 with 6K miles gets no bids at $52K you may be waiting a while. I know Carguy got top dollar for his, but think it is the exception (unique color combo), another very nice TR (91) was up for sale at the same time sold for a LOT less and the one on Ferrari ads at $49.5K sold for $45K. I know of 2 rough TRs are getting picked up in the mid 30's, so like like the stock market, we haven't seen the bottom yet!

If you don't need to sell - wait or you will be kicking yourself in the next couple of years when these cars start to creep up again.

13. tony2ta

tony2ta Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Fchat's member just sold his 91 for 46K, it has 19k miles, shiny black/black, very nice car except 30k service not yet done.

14. PaulNerd

PaulNerd Rookie

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm a newbie here and after talking to a local Ferrari mechanic, a TR might not be as bad to maintain as I assumed (I'm in software and leave hardware matters to others), I may be in the market. I'm looking at GT4s as well but the aforementioned tech may not be taking new customers for carbureted cars.

I am studiously reading through the archives -- this is a very nice community. I would appreciate any pointers and advice.

I'm located in Silicon Valley and am interested in excellent condition cars with thorough history and update to date work. It would be nice to meet up with some local folks as well.

Cheers.

Paul

15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #16 Simon^2, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
    Know what you are in for... a bit of misfortune with the diff/tranny on a TR and the repair bill can approach the cost of a GT4.

If the thought of a 10K repair bill makes you wince, that ok... but if it makes you lose sleep you will not enjoy your purchase. with a TR your next drive can result in a 15K repair...

308 series much gentler on the wallet...

that said... love the TR's. amazing car for the price.

16. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Simon, I couldn't agree more. This isn't for the guy on a tight budget. I have come to really love the one I've got. I have some changes that I will post soon (no body work). I'm not worried about where people sale their cars, since this will settle out. This is a Ferrari 12 cylinder car and will remain an exotic with a limited following.

John

17. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have hardly spent anything on mine...:eek:

18. B-rarri

B-rarri Rookie

Aug 14, 2008
    Michigan-Slovakia
    Full Name:
    brani
    it is not the case always . Im new on chat but I m looking to buy ! it was one of the reasons I joined . Im still looking !

19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    LOL. FofCF once serviced my F40 in service bay with your sponsorship photo above it!

20. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    UPDATE:

I have decided to trade in the 1986 testarossa for a 1994 348 spider ... In about 3 weeks I'll get the new car ... I know I'll remember the Testarossa for it's power, but I will not miss the cost ... the 348 should be much easier on the wallet.

21. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Good luck but.....you'll be sorry ! :D

Crockett & Tubbs say....you'll be back !

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

22. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    There are 14TR,9 550, 27 355 10 308,on ebay,too many TRs,too many TRs for sale. The 512 is @ $70,puts TRs @ $35,$43.An incredible amount of Car for the $.

23. DerWebMeister

Aug 21, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    I've been watching the amount of Ferrari's and others listed for sale increase on the Dupont Register. You can watch the numbers for sale increase almost daily.

I am buying my first Ferrari TR in March of '09. I want a single mirror red, exactly like the type this thread began with.

24. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will not see a significant drop in your maintenance costs. Having owned 2 348s, including a 94 spider be prepared for the typical ridiculous parts pricing and frequent service. Good news, there is a very strong DYI group on F-Chat, the bad news... you will need it often... but good news it's easy to work on! One of concerns that I had is the single belt that drives timing AND water pump (changed on the 355)... makes the timing belt major a critical item, not to be postponed and replacement of the water pump a must. Handlingwise the 348 is a better "tossable" car, fun till about 110 -120 mph, thereafter it gets very "floaty", the TR feels huge and trucklike by comparison. As a driver the 348 is more fun...as an icon the TR remains a milestone in the Ferrari line up that will go up in value in the next decade... Have fun!!