Hill: I'd like to see Lewis win it | FerrariChat

Hill: I'd like to see Lewis win it

Discussion in 'F1' started by jk0001, Aug 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4025071,00.html

Briton Damon Hill says he hopes compatriot Lewis Hamilton walks away with this year's World Championship.

Hamilton is currently five points ahead of Ferrari's Felipe Massa and a further three ahead of Kimi Raikkonen in the Drivers' Standings after 11 races.

Hill, who won the 1996 Drivers' Championship while driving for Williams, is backing Hamilton to win the Title.

"I'd like to see Lewis win it. He's a superstar really and it's very exciting that he is carrying the British flag," he told The Sun.

Hill, though, admits he rarely talks with Hamilton: "We're different generations and he probably looks at me and thinks I'm an old fart."

The former World Champion believes "Hamilton is right to keep his own counsel and ignore the myriad views of motorsport pundits".

"Someone once gave me a very good analogy for this. If you have one watch you know what the time is. But if you have two you don't know which one is right.

"The more advice you get the more confusing it becomes. Lewis has to do what is right for him."

Hill also questioned Raikkonen's commitment.

Although the Finn has already stated that he will see out his current contract at Ferrari, it remains to be seen if he will stay in F1.

"Raikkonen seems to have been plodding along, although there he is near the top of the table again," Hill said.

"He has oodles of natural ability but sometimes it looks like he is not completely 100 per cent committed.

"If I was a team owner and paying a lot for a driver I'd want to know that the guy is giving the best he can."

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Here's what I'm curious about--Does Damon go out of his way to issue statements, or are the members of the 3rd Estate hunting him down in their never-ending hungry desperation for a story? I liked Damon when he drove, and I still like him. He always struck me as a pretty good guy who would be fun to hang out with. Guitar player, into music, etc. But other than nationalistic pride, I just don't see how much of a connection he still has, how much relevance.

3. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Hill is the current president of the BRDC, so I am sure he does plenty of press interviews and appearances in that capacity.

4. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1, the F1 press is always asking his opinion.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Damon Hill's opinion is about as important as that hooker's opinion involved in Max Mosley's orgy. Like, so what. This guy is nothing compared to his father's class act.

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Ron, were you a Graham fan? The guy seemed like the Errol Flynn of F1.

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That's true. I had forgotten about that.

8. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    And your opinion is more important than that hooker's because ....?