Converting f1 to 6spd | FerrariChat

Converting f1 to 6spd

Discussion in '348/355' started by traderjet4, Aug 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. traderjet4

traderjet4 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    long Island
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Has any one converted a F1 car to a 6spd.

2. 355 Fixer-uper

355 Fixer-uper Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was interested in this as well. I know the question has been asked before but I don't think anyone answered. There was an F1 355 spyder that would not shift (jexfixer fixed it) that someone was trying to find out if they can change to a 6-speed. I wonder what signals the engine ECU sends to the trans ECU and if the engine ECU expects a response. Maybe all you need to do is install a clutch petal/master/hose and the shift linkage.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Trust me on this boys.................just buy a 6 speed Ferrari if thats what you want! ;);)

4. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    as always, Pappy knows best.

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Exactly----cost wise to change it over would be substanial

6. 355 Fixer-uper

355 Fixer-uper Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Ok guys, you are forgetting what the question is. The question is not "How much will it cost me to do it and should I?" but has anyone done it. I would love to hear if someone has and how hard it is.

7. traderjet4

traderjet4 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    long Island
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Exactly Andrew, I spoke to Steve Arena, a ferrari shop here in NJ and he was the one who brought it up to me.He said it could be done when you do the Major.

8. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I discussed this once with my mechanic, just for the hell of it (I already have the 6-speed). Apparently there is a slight difference (some solenoid or actuator) between the 6 speed and F1 tranny (not counting the ecu's etc).

But, the point was that you COULD change a F1 tranny into a 6 speed, but not the other way around from 6 speed to F1.

I didn't ask beyond this point. The mechanic was selling a pulled tranny at the time...

9. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone

Here is what I know thus far...I believe I am correct....Anyone feel free to jump in.....

The tranny on the F1 is different. I believe if my memory serves me correct the shift forks are different...

I think you can verify this by looking at the parts catalog on Ricambis website. 355 Fixer-uper is right. I went through that system front to rear, and turned over lots of stones. I am told however that you can change a few parts on the box and it will work....

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Im sure it has been done before. Possibly not be anyone here, as no one has come forward yet to say they have. :):)

But remember, ANYTHING can be done! :cool::cool:

The REAL question is.........how deep are your pockets if you are stupid enough to even try this? :eek::eek:

Read post #3 again. :cool::cool:

11. traderjet4

traderjet4 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    long Island
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ok Boys

The reason way I am thinking about doing this is because I can get a mint condition 99' 355GTS F1

with 15K miles on it with carbon fiber,red calibers, Tubi etc, for $65000. Knowing that there is a hand full of 99' 6spd 355GTS out there is the reason for the Question.

JOE

12. 355 Fixer-uper

355 Fixer-uper Karting

Jul 27, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew

That car sounds perfect. Is it painted plaid or something? If you take a pass let us know! It would be cheaper then fixing my car.

13. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Buy the car, drive the F1 for a while, then see if you still want to do it. You may find (as I have) that the F1 is pretty f-n sweet.

And keep in mind that the simple fact that there are only a handful out there (oh, 'bout 500 actually) of GTS F1s - the most rare combo - means the car will be worth more in the long run.

Have had both cars (GTS 6-speed, GTS F1), am a manual fan, and I would not trade back.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Probably less than you think. Most parts are the same. If you needed a new actuator I bet the conversion would be cheaper. It is quite simple.

Best idea though would be to get a 6 speed as has already been pointed out.

15. traderjet4

traderjet4 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    long Island
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's exactly what I think I will do, I figure I can't get to beat up. The color of the car is yellow/Black

JOE

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Sounds like a gem Joe. :):)

I would buy it and keep it stocko brother. :):)

17. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 ...... if the F1 system is working well ...... just keep it as is and drive it :)!

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap