Australian Car Care Products | FerrariChat

Australian Car Care Products

Discussion in 'Australia' started by badkarma, Aug 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. badkarma

badkarma Rookie

Jun 20, 2008
    Australia
    Just wondering what products you guys use to clean/detail your cars that are readily available in Australia?

I've been using the a sizeable selection of Meguiars products mainly because I can get it from the local store and they are regarded as pretty decent.

I'm sure there are better products such as Swissol, Zaino Brothers or P21S, but I can't seem to find them anywhere except eBay.

Thanks in advance :D

2. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    BlackJag uses Ajax to wash/wax his cars. worked well.

3. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    hand polish or by buffing machine?
    Once polished I like "Final inspection"

4. badkarma

badkarma Rookie

Jun 20, 2008
    Australia
    Heh. Funny you should say that, was reading on autopia.org that some Americans use "Dawn" dish-washing liquid to clean their car and strip the wax.

I don't have the heart to do that. ;)

5. badkarma

badkarma Rookie

Jun 20, 2008
    Australia
    Hand polish. I tried using an orbital buffer once and it didn't agree with me.

6. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    there was a mass-debate about this once on another forum. some guys used morning fresh to wash, and others claimed this was eating their clear coat, causing world famine and so on

with some research we determined morning fresh brand was very gentle and PH neutral, so wont harm the paint, but could potentially seep into panel gaps and get in contact with hinge grease/protective waxes etc.

7. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    car?
    Colour?
    Condition?
    Leather?

8. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    once their up to condition its easy.

9. Andrew-400i

Andrew-400i Karting

Sep 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've recommended AP Racing Dot 5.

10. ASIO

ASIO Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2006
    #10 ASIO, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
    I used OMO on my mums ToyotaCrown [what a beautiful luxo barge!!] about 25 years ago.

I ruined the paintwork big time, good as a quasi paint-stripper.lol

Worked a treat though, whiter than white, smelled good too.....Thought that counted!!

Ciao

M

11. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    same used OMO on a white Jag,to cut back the paint,it works as a cutting compound.

12. ASIO

ASIO Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2006
    *Roger-That!*

I really only washed it so i got a chance to burn around in it before and after washing it, as 13?YO's do....

Did i mention i also smashed it into a tree?I was in reverse and turned the wheel and before i knew it the tree was flatened and the passenger side front panel was somewhat crushed it...woops.

Gets worse, i parked it back in the garage and lived in hope she would not notice.

My mum did/nt let me touch her car after that for a long time "get your own" [tm PP]

Ruined the paint, killed the tree, damaged the car AND tried to hide it, good afternoons effort.....lol

Ciao

M

13. badkarma

badkarma Rookie

Jun 20, 2008
    Australia
    Colour: Black

Condition: 7.5/10

Leather: No issues here

Car: Not an F car yet

I haven't tried Final Inspection, would you recommend it?

Upon recommendation from the local Autobarn, I've used the Meguiars NXT range which worked alright. Did a decent job of hiding the swirls but after a few washes, they reappeared.

Had a professional detailer come in about 7 months ago for $250 and did a great 8 hour job. But as a daily driver through dismal weather, the effects have faded. And I would rather do it myself- there are better things to do with that money I think! :D

ps: How do I show photos on these boards? I realise the img tags don't work.

14. [355]

[355] F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2006
    Spacious tent
    Full Name:
    Harold Faltermeyer
    600 wet/dry

15. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Zymol - it's second to none

16. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    scroll down when typing - see button marked "manage attachments" - limited number of images can be posted before you need to subscribe.

17. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Some light reading on detailing here:

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/index.php

If we are talking daily driver, Meguiar's products are OK ( everyone has their own preferences, most of the time the difference in results has to do with the application / detailing process, not the product. The NXT is long lasting and produces a reasonable shine.

To get rid of swirl marks you need a foam buff and a variable speed buffing machine.

BTW, $250 for an 8 hour job is not too bad, it will take you longer to get the same result.

M