365 GTB/4 Paint Colors | FerrariChat

365 GTB/4 Paint Colors

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TimCouch, Aug 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimCouch

TimCouch Rookie

Nov 9, 2007
    This may sound silly, but I am trying to figure out the exterior color of a 1972 Daytona I recently purchased (both the original paint color and current paint color on the car, assuming the current color is a 'Ferrari color'). It is currently a light maroon or light burgundy color. The car is USA delivery chassis # 15569. Does anyone have tips /ideas on how to gather such information? Looking on the Ferrari Owner's site, it appears that there are many potential color names that it could be. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

2. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  3. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    #3 Telerding, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
    Hey Tim:

Rich Cole said you had pulled the trigger at the auction!! Great to hear it. You will have to take a test drive over here to the central coast and show it off!

Be sure to register at the Daytona Registry.

Welcome to the Daytona owner's family.

From the pictures on the web, your car could be Rosso Rubino or Rosso Bordeaux. Or it could be anything the painter cooked up. Marcel Massini or Gerald Roush can tell you the color the car was originally painted when delivered. Marcel is on this forum and Gerald Roush is with the Ferrari Market Letter. They are both really helpful guys.

Tom

4. TimCouch

TimCouch Rookie

Nov 9, 2007
    The "dinocolors" link is a great resource for colors. Thanks for sharing.

Tom -- yes, Richard critiqued the car for a couple of hours yestereday 8/21 while he happened to be in town and thought that things were pretty squared away. I took copius notes on the items to replace for correctness. I too was thinking the car is likely Rosso Bordeaux, or as you say possibly Rosso Rubino. I will follow your great suggestions and contact Marcel and Gerald. The car will need paint someday and I want to make sure I get the delivery color correct.

Thanks, folks, for the help.

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Original Ferrari V12 by Keith Bluemel lists 47 different colours for the Daytona, with codes in most cases although it does not provide a colour chart. The paint supplier is listed as Glidden & Salchi.

6. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    according to the book Handbuch der Ferrari Seriennummern by Matthias Urban chassis #15569 is listed as Rosso Rubino. Hope that helps you out.

7. TimCouch

TimCouch Rookie

Nov 9, 2007
    Thanks. That seems like a useful handbook and one I should get. I assume they have versions translated to English...?

8. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Congrats. You might take a look at the Daytona Registry's Registry lsit where you can see various colors of Daytona owners' cars. Happy ownership. w/ smiles Jimmy

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I've seen photos of your car and, if it is an original period Ferrari color, I would say that it is much to light to be Rubino. Looks very much like Rosso Nearco (the color of the 250 GTE that I just sold), a non-metallic brick red.

Original 365 GTB/4 Rosso colors listed in Bluemel's book:

Rosso Chiaro
    Rosso Cina 'Duce'
    Rosso Cordoba Met.
    Rosso Dino
    Rosso Ferrari
    Rosso Nearco
    Rosso Sir Ivor
    Rosso Rubino

10. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Both great colors. I've been thinking about Rosso Bordeaux or Rosso Rubino for my Spyder. Of course, none of the current paints are an exact match.

Steve

11. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Tim the book I have is in english, I got the book from Gerald Roush at fml and yes I have found it to be very useful when looking up chassis numbers.

12. TimCouch

TimCouch Rookie

Nov 9, 2007
    Thanks... I plan to order post haste.

13. Trachsel

Trachsel Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Muri BE
    On the Ferrari Owner's Site you can order a certificate from Maranello, which shows the original colour and the date of birth of your car. On the owner's site go to "cars", then "classiche", then "historic documents", then "car colours". There you choose the model of car, give chassis and enginge number and here you are. You will get your certificate. Regards, Jacques

14. TimCouch

TimCouch Rookie

Nov 9, 2007
    Wow -- great info Jacques. I will do that -- thanks a bunch. Tim.

15. Trachsel

Trachsel Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Muri BE
    Tim, let me know when you were successful an tell me the original colour, Jacques

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Tim
    Original exterior color was: Rosso Ferrari 20-R-187.
    Original interior color was: Beige 3218.
    It is the 867th Daytona (Assembly sequence), LHD, delivered new to Chinetti-Garthwaite in Paoli/PA.
    Marcel Massini
    [email protected]

17. TimCouch

TimCouch Rookie

Nov 9, 2007
    Marcel -- thanks so much for the information.

I was actually hoping that the car was originally Rubino or Bordeaux, similar to the current paint color, but life is full of surprises. It is interesting that the Handbuch der Ferrari Seriennummern by Matthias Urban apparently showed chassis #15569 as Rosso Rubino -- maybe that is how it ended up with the current color....

Hope your travels to the US were both fun and safe. Thanks again, Tim.

18. DrTong

DrTong Rookie

Sep 26, 2013
    Full Name:
    K Tong
    Hello all,
    I'm new to this site and late to this thread...I'm also wondering how to find out about the original color of a 1973 365 GTB4 Daytona. VIN is 16889 and I have owned it since 2014. Looking to possibly do a repaint but it would be nice to know what the original color was from the factory and to bring this back to it's original color. Not sure if these Daytona seats were original color as well with red carpets? Here is the current pictures. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Ken Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ and readplays like this.
  19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    those seats i believe are referred to as the “Monza” option. very cool and rare. congrats!

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Ken, just contact Marcel Massini and obtain his "history report" which should likely include the original color(s), but may not list one for the carpets.
    And if that does't pan out, I might be able to figure out the original exterior color when you visit. It could be relatively easy and carpets I can tell by looking whether they're original or not. And if not, I have a source which may provide their original color also.

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    16889 was born Argento Metallizzato 106-E-1 (Argento Auteuil) with all black Nero VM 8500 Connolly interior.
    This is the ex Bunkie Knudson (GM Designer) Daytona, he was the 2nd owner.
    Much later it was at Mecum's, then Aero Toy Store, then Barrett Jackson and finally at Rick Cole's auction (17 August 2014).

Marcel Massini

Wheels1, readplays and TTR like this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Correction to Bunkie Knudson: He was a GM engineer, not a designer. Later at Ford.

Marcel Massini

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    that makes two GM employees with Daytonas at the same time and in the best colors. Bunkie is crefited for creating the BOSS 302 an iconic muscle car.

24. DrTong

DrTong Rookie

Sep 26, 2013
    Full Name:
    K Tong
    Hi Edward, Marcel, Timo,
    That is wonderful information!!! So this car was born Argento Metallizzato, a very nice color. The black interior was Nero, so possibly the red inserts for the Daytona seats were later re-upholstered? Unless this option may not have been listed in the build? They look quite original but will need some expert analysis.
    Marcel, I was the lucky owner from Rick Coles, thus have owned since then.
    Thank you for such great information and forever obliged for the history!

Ken

Wheels1 and readplays like this.
  25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    do you have a picture of the interior door
    panel?