Front License plate test? | FerrariChat

Front License plate test?

Discussion in '348/355' started by hezgon, Aug 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hezgon

hezgon Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2006
    Ft Pierce, FL
    Full Name:
    Stan
    #1 hezgon, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Due to the stupid laws in VA, I will need a front license plate. However, I have found a rather unique solution from Dynamtech Group. It attaches to the front tow hook. Easily removed or attached as necessary. I had two questions, is the tow hook threads the same on the 355 and 360? Second, might one of you out there in the San Ramon, CA area that might be willing to have these guys test the holder out on their beauty? Thanks in advance!

http://dynamtechgroup.com/ferrari-license-plate-holder.php

From Dynamic Technology Group:

There are two considerations:
    1) the tow hook thread count and diameter! Ours is 16 mm X 1.5
    2) the distance from the face (initial point) of the tow hook threads to where the plate would be
    parallel to bumper w/o touching it.

I do not believe that Ferrari has different thread sizes but can't be certain. We have not tried anything
    on a 355. If I can find one locally I can check.

It's possible our unit already fits it! We'd have to confirm.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Neat product, but I wouldn't sweat it. I have never had any problems with not front tag on my 355. If I did, it would cost me $25 in fines. I guess I am a gambling man! :)

3. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    +1..don't sweat it. :D

CA has the same law...it is a "fix it ticket" :D

I mounted the plate with a wire tie...a cop signed off the ticket and I paid my $10 admin fee...got home and cut the wire tie :eek:

4. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    I did this with my 911 in VA. Would show up with the plate mounted, paid the fine, took it off.

5. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 saw1998, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
    Jeff and Eric - you are very, very Bad Boys!!

In my experience, cops usually leave exotic cars alone, unless you're acting like a show-off/idiot. Some of the younger ones (just out of the Academy) might stop you, though.

6. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    what's the fine if you get caught without one? IMO, i wouldnt put it on your car. how much could it cost and how often do you REALLy think you would get pulled over in your Fcar for no front plate!!

7. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Had to be for inspection right? I couldn't figure out why you were sweating it, but now I get it...can we get a state inspection done at FoW or somewhere where the bad-guys won't be in our way?

MB

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Requiring cars to have front plates is a joke.

Why is it that cars must have front plate and motor cycles don't?????? In Los Angeles I saw a meter-maid writing a ticket for a car with no front plate. I asked when the last time was that he wrote a "no front plate" ticket for a motorcycle. The meter-maid said "never". I asked, "So why do cars have to have front license plates and motor cycles don't?". His answer, "I don't know all I know is that we are supposed to write cars tickets for no front plates.". He was so puzzled by my question that he actually call his supervisor and asked him the same question. Guess what? His supervisor didn't even know why motor cycles aren't required to have front plate yet cars where.

It's a really STUPID law!!! The back plates I can see why you must have them, but not the front plates.

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Now they are going to make us motorcycle riders have front plates ......... :(

10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    It allows the red light cameras to have two chances at getting your license plate clearly photographed! Although, the two plate law was in effect before red light cameras existed...

BTW, I was able to get out of a speeding ticket on two separate occasions by negotiating with the cop to give me a no front license plate ticket instead of the speeding ticket!

11. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Also it is almost impossible to laser a Ferrari without a front plate. There is no reflective surface. Front plates are big targets for laser guns. Of course most of these states have had these laws since long before lasers, but in our testing front plates make it very easy to read speeds. Yet another reason to do without if you can.

12. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ya, gotta love it... James Orwell (1984) was right, "Big Brother" is always watching.

13. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    $25? Did the fine amount go down?

14. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Exactly right..

15. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I agree---the amount of money saved for not having to make a front plate for owners would save the state alot of money..

16. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    In MD--the red light cameras only take a pic of the rear--no front pics..

Almost impossible, huh....LOL....:D

17. JCW Driver

JCW Driver Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Bronson G.
    You mean his little brother George?

18. gliebig

gliebig Rookie

Sep 26, 2007
    $60 in Md. Got nabbed three times this year. Hooray for Bel Air p.d.

19. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Everytime I have been pulled over in a car with a single rear plate, it was never brought up about the missing front one. I guess if you're nice to the cop and not being an ******... :)

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 ..... being nice helps a lot ....... ;)

21. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    And if the officer is a she, then asking her out doesn't hurt either. So, officer, ever been in a Ferrari? I could give you a lift later... :) I watched this in real life and it was kind of funny to see. The CHP officer, removed her hat and did the CA head wave with her hair as she was discussing it, then started playing with her locks. Like high school. :)

22. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    In Portland, OR, the meter maids write you a ticket while you're parked! $45! So I just put the damn thing on the dash when I park downtown.

23. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    Well I guess the weasel is way past all of this...I haven't paid attention to SPEED laws for years so not having a front plate is way off of my mind...... :)

For the record, Ohio is extremely anal and I have yet in ten years been stopped for a front plate on an exotic......When I had a T/A they nabbed me.......

24. Lucky355F1

Lucky355F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2008
    Bridgewater, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    In NJ it has to be for inspection. Mine was on with wire ties. Then cut off afterwards with no problems since

25. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I was at a gas station and received a warning form an off duty Police officer about my front plate, it is a sticker, not the real plate, it is reflective and positioned clearly, it's a fraction small than the stand plate due to the area it is fitted. The officer told me if he was on duty he would write me a ticket, I looked blankly at him and continued to pump my petrol, he stood for about half a minute waiting for me to say something, I never spoke.