Should I buy SLR? | FerrariChat

Should I buy SLR?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by j09333, Aug 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I am looking for something which can carry 2 golf bags and is fast enough not to be out-dated or out-technologied in a couple of years.

Been driving Porches and currently R8, but I am so done with 2 seaters. Marrage is one reason and also I only drive on weekends and most of those driving is cruising or going to golf courses. Weekdays, I have a company car and driver.

So I was looking around. Seems to me that there are only a few choices.

599-I have to wait another year.

California loaded-unkown at this point

SLR-used,5000 Miles, 1 owner and worried about AS

Bentley-cheap(well, sort of), tons of used to choose from, official dealer present in my country

DBS-build quality and huge depreciation.

Since members of this forum will have alot of experiences, I want your input on this.

Big money is involved, so that I dont want to make wrong move.

2. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    What do you mean when you say you're done with 2 seaters? I believe the SLR and 599 are both 2-seaters. Are you looking for something more like a 612 2+2? Some room behind the seats? Personally I think the 599 is worth the year's wait.

3. mDrake

mDrake Karting

Jun 5, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Then no, you shouldn't buy the SLR. Or a 599. Bentley or DB9 I guess?

4. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Sorry, mistake.

What I meant by is 2seaters with no trunk.

911, yes I can put golf bags in it, but what a good 5 to 10 mins workout to get those bags out.

R8, as advertised, you can put 2 bags with your seat moved forward a bit too much, and also good 10 mins workout.

And during that time, I wet my shirts and get frustrated all the time.

I am not native speaker, so please I beg your understanding with any mistakes.

5. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    I'd say Bentley or the California would be your best bet. Though I am not certain whether or not it would be possible to fit 2 golf bags under the hardtop roof.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The SLR is old hat now and offer's nothing but a pretty body around an old school V8 in my honest opinion. If your considering such a significant investment I would suggest having your personal caddy store your club's and meet you when your ready to shank or purchase a locker/suite combo at your country club.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 noone1, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
    Get a Bentley. That's pretty much your only option if you need excess space. They're cheap too. In fact, if you were willing to buy an SLR or a 599 or a very expensive California or a DBS, you can keep the R8 and own a Bentley for the same cost.

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +100 pimp all the way to the course!!

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    997 Turbo Cabriolet? pros-stupid fast cons-previous experience/drawbacks with 911s

although I'll vote for the Bentley GTC.

10. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Get a Porsche CGT and a place to keep your golf clubs elsewhere that is easily accesable by the course. Youll thank me later.

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#11 Kds, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
    I am afraid that 911's have more trunk space than most if not all sports cars out there. 2 sets of clubs easily fit in the back, if you fold down the seats and then take them out of the bag. I know it is a hassle to do so, but you really don't have many choices, if any.

Of course, if you have that kind of money to spend on a car, you probably have a locker for your clubs at your country club, no ?

I think you have got to go with a luxury sedan (MB or RR) or something like a Bentley to accomplish what you want.

12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Just to be clear about golf bags and courses:);

Golf clubs dont keep member's bags and clubs in the locker in our country.

Locker rooms are mainly for clothes and shoes, and they are also shared with hundreds of other members.

We have to bring bags and clubs with us.

13. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Where about do you live?

I'd consider honestly the combo Conti GT Mulliner + keeping the R8 (if you like the car). The Conti GT is like a big audi, it's very practical and very powerful. It lacks this extra sportcar thing tho.

14. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    dude, why dont you just hire someone to always meet you with your bags, as in your post... you have a driver, so maybe he can meet you with your golf bages etc.
    Porshe CGT would be amazing!!!

btw where are you located?

15. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    #15 DaudiW., Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008

Maserati Gran Turismo S should be an option if you are willing to spend that sort of money on a cruiser.... the SLR is exquisite but its overall poor quality compared to the Maserati (and even Aston.)

We plan to get a 599 at the end of next yr, and after driving one eariler this summer I can safely say its one of the best GTs i've ever set foot in. The Maserati GT is very (very) close in feeling, but has a different type of finesse to it. The "S" trim would be slightly quicker i would imagine and gives you the best of two aspects: sport and class.... No Mercedes can beat Maserati regarding those two aspects.... If you can wait, and have the means to get a 599 next yr, it will be worth your while... its the best performing GT in its class of sports cars.

A Merc is a car you by used, for 60-90k .... SLR imo is a lost cause, apart from being as fast as a thunder-bolt in a straight line... Its otherwise, very much so an under achiever across the board.

Bentley is even worse (CGT, considering you said "cheap").... I'd have the SLR before THAT Bentley.... but suit yourself.
    You want a Bentley, get a proper one....

16. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    dont beat me up, but what about a corvette ZR1?

17. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    if you buy an SLR you wont be diappointed. i dont know of any owners who have been.

the bentley is also a great car but very very heavy.

those two cars are completely different. the slr is a fast rocket that underachieves at NOTHING. its as fast as Porsche cgt on the track, has world class brakes and can cruise comfortably or be in bumper to bumper traffic with the ac and stereo on- you would never know you're in an exotic.

the bentley is pure luxury with a strong engine. theres not much feel to the car and very little noise.

18. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    Yes, buy the Merc. You could drive across the states 100 times and not see another. Plus, it would look good in the living room.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    CGT and a trailer ? ;)
    Aston Martin Vanquish is the real answer.

20. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    If the club doesn't offer a complete equipment maintenance option where:
    1. The putter and irons are routinely polished to mirrored perfection.
    2. The drivers, bag, and shoes have all grass and dirt impeccably removed after each use.
    3. Any new grips or other maintenance is performed at the first hint of wear.
    4. Your bag is refreshed each use with new balls and freshly bleached and ironed spotless white 100% cotton terrycloth towels infused with the essence of Belgian wildflowers.

If you don't have these, you need to find a new club and worry about the car later...

21. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Thank you all for your comments.

I live in east Asia.

I have more than 5 memberships and none of the golf clubs do that through clean up. And those are the best ones around town.:(

22. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    #22 shahedc, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here you go :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  24. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    :D

25. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    How about a Merc CLK 63 Black Series? Gobs of power, exclusivity, a real trunk.