Speedometer issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Speedometer issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by mrpcar, Aug 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    thank you Brian !

i thought the same .... how else could it / would it calc the speed

amazing the mis-information out there

thanks

2. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    That is a rhetorical question, right?

3. rondm

rondm Rookie

May 31, 2008
    What type of GPS do you have to have - so that it shows the MPH that your travelling. Can you suggest a brand or type.

Thanks

4. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I believe any of the newer/modern types will do nicely. They work off a signal that calculates the speed, so, buying a better, upper brand should ensure good results.

5. Jay Levine

Jay Levine Rookie

Apr 28, 2019
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Jay Levine
    This is very common on most sports cars. The manufacturers see it as a ticket saver. My Porsche speedster is also 10 miles off when I'm doing 70 miles an hour it reads 80 miles per hour. Likewise when I had a triumph spitfire it did the exact same thing. I have come to expect it on most sports cars. I have yet to see one that isn't off.

6. FantasiaForest

Feb 22, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin Ii
    So is there any fix for this? My sons learning to drive a old Ford Taurus and its spedo is dead on. Verified with stop watch. My wifes Mercedes is accurate comparing analog Speedo vs digital Speedo versus separate GPS.

7. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    IMO - speedo's should be calibrated correctly coming out of the factory. It's like changing the time on the clock to "trick" yourself, it's silly. Managing inaccuracies is difficult...just give me the facts!

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Anyone that can crack the ECU on the car....a tall order. I have an older BMW and the owner at the independent BMW shop I use is a programming expert. On my BMW he has raised the idle speed slightly, remapped the cooling system, did a speedometer correction...etc. Surely there are folks out there who can do this on a Ferrari.

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes I can do recalibration on speedo, alter idle speed, etc.

.. I needed to do this for my car as I run tires much wider on 19 inch, 305 at rear and 245 at front so abs used to kick in too early, after recalibration it's perfect. Didn't do any adjustment for purposes of accuracy but its possible