? about sea plane island hopping in Caribbean | FerrariChat

? about sea plane island hopping in Caribbean

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by sixcarbs, May 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Hi,

I was thinking about getting a Seabee and bouncing around the Caribbean on day trips. I would always return to the same base island at the end of every day trip.

Does anyone know what immigration issues areinvolved down there if you land in the water and justswim up to a beach for the day? Are you treated like a boat? (Do day boaters need to clear immigration when they come in for the day?) Do you need to clear immigration if you don't spend the night?

If I have to land at the airport before I went to some remote cove, it would kind of defeat the fun, carefree idea of the sea plance.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

2. Skyraider

Skyraider Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Just my guess here, but I'd think you'd need the same procedures,
    that Tourists on cruise ships have to go thru...
    Passport, Customs....etc. Same thing when you return to the US...
    (gotta keep out, all them drug runners, and illegals.....ya know?)

Immigration? Not unless you are going to live there....
    Others would know for sure..

Charlie

3. Jcarson

Jcarson Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Tortola, BVI
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I live in the British Virgin Islands, fly planes and own boats so am somewhat familiar with the rules. You are required to check in to Customs & Immigration immediately upon arrival by yacht/plane. By yacht the procedure is fairly painless depending on which island you are visiting - Customs & Immigration are typically in the same building (this is for yachts I'm speaking of). When you leave you are required to check out - even if it's only for a day trip. In fact, legally, even if you stop in the harbour but never plan to go ashore you still must check in as you are in their territorial waters - they get pretty touchy if you don't. My experience is more with yachts than planes but I believe the practice is the same or very similar. Hope that helps a little

4. Jcarson

Jcarson Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Tortola, BVI
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I forgot to mention that is if you sail BY the island but do not stop that you do not have to check in - as in, if you were moving from the BVI's to the Grenadine (boat again) you will pass quite a few islands along the way and as long as you do not stop you can continue on your way. If you plan to sail into St. Maarten and spend the entire day sailing around the island - then that is a bit of a grey area. They may stop you and ask if you have checked in and then again they may not - I have yet to get boarded just sailing offshore for the day (sailing around the island for example). You can always say "Oh, I'm just on my way to where ever and was not planning on stopping.