Very clean emergency landing in Arlington Tx | FerrariChat

Very clean emergency landing in Arlington Tx

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GrigioGuy, Jan 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Happened here in the Metromess today.

Beech had gear that wouldn't lock and wouldn't retract, and 3 hours of fuel onboard. You couldn't ask for a better landing in that circumstance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3OJGT5vV-0

2. AV8RWannaB

AV8RWannaB Rookie

Jan 24, 2007
    Great stuff. I heard about it on my way home from work but by the time I got there, they had landed. I wanted to see the landing

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
  4. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Thats good stuff. We had one just a couple of days ago here in Kennesaw. Someone put it down in a field in the National Battlefield Park with about the same result. Shows what you can do if you keep your head. I lost an engine myself while I was still Flight Instructing. I was on a cross country with a student in a Piper Archer. We were able to make an emergency landing at an airport just a couple of miles from where we lost the engine thanks too the "nearest airport" button on my little hand held GPS. It was no big deal at all really. We still had at least 2500' when we arrived so all we had to do was slip it in. I didn't have to cover that lesson with my student after that either. I'm fairly certain he will never forget what happened that day. It scared the hell out of him. Well, I guess it scared the hell out of me too!

5. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Great vid tillman. Lots of guys have been in that situation it seems lately. All seem to pull landing off ok.

6. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    #6 rfking, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A tough airframe, luck and good pilotage skills got these guys through this life threatening event.
    Basically, a King Air 200 was on route to Virginia from Arkansas when, at 27,000 feet, the left windshield shattered causing an immediate and rapid decompression. Given your useful consciousness at this altitude is measured in seconds, both pilots blacked out. (Fortunately, there were no passengers on board).

Whether they initiated a rapid descent or lost control and ended up in a steep dive is not known as the two pilots have little recollection of the event both fading in and out of consciousness until shortly before landing.

They took turns, unintentionally, of waking up and blacking out and fighting to regain control of the aircraft. One pilot stated “I remember thinking we’re in a spin and seeing that the airspeed was pegged beyond indicated. I thought, wow, we’re going too fast, reached up and pulled the power to idle, then blacked out again”.

Assume they were pretty much at terminal velocity headed straight down.

At 13,000 feet, (give or take), they started fighting to pull the aircraft out of a dive. It took both of them. The stress on the airframe must have been unreal, as you will see.

From that point, parts started leaving the aircraft until landing and they lost control of pitch. They went almost vertical again and it took both pilots pushing as hard as they could to get the aircraft to start descending.

They regained some control around 7,000 feet and were close to cape where they diverted.

It is fortunate that they did not have a tail stall as you will see, and I have no earthly idea how they controlled pitch.

There is a God and sometimes he gets your attention to remind you how close we could all be to standing before him. There is no way this aircraft could have been flown and landed to a relatively uneventful landing and they walk away. I cannot explain it and I think you will see what I mean especially after viewing the empennage.

According to the radar, they lost 20,000 feet in roughly a minute and a half.

The aircraft is totaled, but again, they taxied to the ramp. Waited a few hours, and got a car and drove home.

Fortunately, the windscreen did not come in completely, but still should have most likely been fatal at that altitude.
    tough airplane
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I wonder in an event like that if they were mandated to do a teardown on the engines because of prop-strike? It wasn't much but still..............

8. SWITCHESOFF

SWITCHESOFF Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    After a prop strike it is SOP to check the runout on the propeller/ crankshaft. It is good practice and sometimes Mandatory to do a teardown to discover any internal damage no matter how subtle. Quick stops are bad news that can be delivered sometimes way down the line and when you least expect it. Regarding a landing without the landing gear fully functional. I was always taught to just make a normal landing as if nothing was wrong. I saw this several times during the war and it is really no big thing. I also saw a guy try to land a Swift with one up and one down . To make a "soft landing" he stalled it about 10 feet off the ground and drove the good gear up through the wing and twisted the fuselage aft of the wing thus totalling a perfectly good airplane. If he had made a regular landing the most damage would have been a wing tip .
    Switches