My Ride | FerrariChat

My Ride

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by imported_mjc123, Feb 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. imported_mjc123

Dec 25, 2005
    #1 imported_mjc123, Feb 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. crazyryan

crazyryan Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    what is your job title in order to afford something like that? it must cost around 250000 bucks!!! burning a huge hole in your pants!!!!!!!!!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #3 donv, Feb 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My part-time ride, in ASE last month (and before anyone asks how I can afford it, let me mention that not only do I not own it, I get paid to fly it):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Wow very nice, the Sr22's are very sexy planes.

5. crazyryan

crazyryan Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    is the ): symbal a sad smiley or suppose to be a happy smiley? is something not a good deal about owning and getting paid about it? (- ;

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a symbol at all. I was just closing the parentheses (old programmer habit) and adding the colon to show what I was talking about.

I'm quite happy to fly it whenever I get the chance! It's the nicest Learjet I've ever been around, and I've been around lots of them.

7. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
  8. crazyryan

crazyryan Rookie

Jan 30, 2007
    how do you get to fly for free? who pays for the fuel and operating expenses?

9. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    The owner does. Actually, I get paid to fly it. It is one of two Hawkers I fly. I also fly a 800A model (N127KC). The 800 has the older Honeywell avionics ( 5 tube EFIS ) and does not have the performance of the XP, but they are both good airplanes.

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The flying is free. He gets paid to sit around and wait, as do I.

And, once in a while, to be out there preflighting in the rain at 4am!

11. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Yea that's right. It's not all fun and games is it.

12. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    donv, the Lear looks to be a 35 or 36. Ever flown into Eagle? I was based there for a few months last year. They had us living in a condo in Avon. We were doing charters for ski season. Love that approach into ASE.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I was in and out of Eagle quite a bit this past summer. We have a charter customer who had a large project near the end of the runway, and the airplane was there almost every week (I wasn't in it every week, but I got my share). And Hayden, also.

It's a very late 35A. One of the last ones built. A fantastic airplane, and just the way I would spec it out if I owned it. Well, maybe I'd add an MFD, but other than that...

14. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    I thought so. I wasn't sure exactly which one but I was leaning toward the 35. We were hangered at Vail Valley Jet. I was there flying a CE-560(N802AB). I really liked doing that departure off of rwy 7.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yeah, it's all fun as long as the weather is nice!

It's very difficult to tell a 35 from a 36. Really the only way is to count the windows. The *only* difference is that the fuselage fuel tank is larger in the 36, which eliminates the baggage compartment and moves the couch a little bit forward.

So where do you put the baggage, I hear people asking? Good question! I flew a 36 for a few years, and I never really did figure it out. You could slide the aft couch a few inches forward and have a couple inches horizontally and the height of the cabin vertically, but that was it. So pack light!

16. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    That's good info. Didn't know that about the 36. Sounds alot like the Hawker. The only time we don't have a problem with baggage space is when we are dead heading somewhere!

17. imported_aventino

Jan 17, 2007
    How do you stay competent and current on two completely different aircraft? I understand the little lears can bite badly assymeteric with approach speeds near VMCA?

18. imported_Rudy

imported_Rudy Rookie

Nov 18, 2006

It would be closer to 500K new.

As for job title, how about self employed.

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't have a big problem with it, but both of the aircraft I fly are ones I have many years of experience in.

At one point several years ago, I was flying a Citation II, Falcon 10, Lear 35, and Commander, all as PIC! Now that was bad, but all of them were so different that it was easy to keep them straight. Now it's just Lear and Commander-- not bad at all.

The bigger problem for me was when I was a check airman in Falcon 50 and Lear. I had to know all the oral answers, of course, for giving checkrides, and sometimes I would get the systems confused. That always looks bad!

I've been flying Commanders for almost 20 years, and Lears for around 15, so it's sort of in my DNA by now.

As for handling, I think the Lear handles very nicely. The biggest problem, and perhaps what you are referring to, is a tendency to rock the wings at low speed. This is especially likely if the tiptanks have some fuel in them.

An inexperienced pilot may overcontrol while trying to damp the wing rock, making it worse. Generally, I can demonstrate how to quickly stop it, and most people figure it out pretty quickly. Leaving the yaw damper on until very short final (or touchdown in the one I'm flying now) helps quite a bit also.