Embry-Riddle Prescott | FerrariChat

Embry-Riddle Prescott

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ferrari_kid, Mar 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    Hey guys, this is my first post in AviatorChat, and I had a couple of questions. I'm graduating this year with a Military History BA, but I want to continue my education to get an Aerospace Science degree. My goal is to become a pilot and I've heard a lot of good things about Embry-Riddle. I've been accepted to both campuses, but I've heard that Prescott grads are taken more seriously. Anyone have info on this stuff? I was mainly curious if anyone had any experience with the school or the area. Any tips cons I should know about Prescott? Thanks for all your help.

2. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Humm, i can answer this one and any more that you have since I'm currently attending the Prescott campus. Its a good campus over all, i know many who are working on a second degree as you would. Its a small campus around 1600 total, with about 60% living on campus and the other 40% off. the Flight department is very good however i know some who don't like it, and go to other flight school across the airport. I however like the flight department and plan on finishing up my instrument and commercial ratings before fall semester next year. If you have not done so yet you should make some time and see the campus in person. The Prescott campus has more flying days than the Daytona beach campus does per year. If were taken more seriously than the DTB campus, I don't know... Fell free to ask any more questions, I'll try to answer them the best i can.

-Alan

3. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003
    Thanks for the response. So how is the campus life? I don't think I'm gonna have time to see the campus since I'm taking summer school also. But I have seen pictures and it seems very nice. How is the neighborhood also? Do you think it's better to live on campus or off? Sorry about all the questions, I can't seem to find anyone with information about Prescott Campus. Thanks again for the information.

4. Der Meister

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The campus life is, fine. though i must say the food at the school isnt that good. The campus is getting better every year some new buildings are going to be finished in by spring 08, that will be a nice addition to the school. The area is nice. If your comming from a bigger city area then it will be a bit of an adjustment. If your an outdoors person, it is a wonderful area Prescott has many outdoors activites. I enjoy living off campus, it has its ups and downs. But i enjoy living off campus it gives more fredome, and the food is mcuh better.

5. jetstreamav

jetstreamav Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Hello,
    I am new and I just read your post. I graduated there in 2005. I think the Prescott Campus is much better then Daytona. The school does put more emphisis on Daytona but Prescott produces results. However, I currently fly professionally now and just having a college degree is most sufficient. The key Riddle provides is connections. Also you will have the "Riddle" name which will allow you to do more than just fly planes.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me [email protected]
    and I will try to help you. Good luck.

Mike

6. Der Meister

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    who do you currently fly for?

7. jetstreamav

jetstreamav Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    I fly for Mesa now.

8. ferrari_kid

Jul 5, 2003
    Thanks for the reply guys. I was planning on taking summer courses in preparation to my first semester. Do you know if you can take flight courses outside of Embry? I spoke to an adviser and they said they don't suggest that. If I can't do that, is there a way to keep your skills honed during the summer months and have it still count towards Embry credits? Does any one have a suggestion on what area of concentration, whether it be military, commercial, etc, I should focus on also? I wanted to join the military but when I speak to recruiters and some others they make it sound very difficult to become a military pilot. Is Embry a good stepping stone, or does it not make a difference?

Thanks again for all your help. The advisers don't seem to offer much assistance when it comes to these types of questions.

9. Der Meister

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    you can take flight courses outside of ERAU, but if your coming in with say just a solo don't, its not really worth it. Now if you come in with you PPL then you can get credit for that and it would be worth your time. As for the military, we have the 3rd largest detachment of USAF ROTC and the school also has a nice program with the NAVY which i plan on doing if i can. If you want to do military, then other than going to Colorado Springs, or West Point ERAU is a good place to be.