Pro Or Con regarding Accelerated PPL? | FerrariChat

Pro Or Con regarding Accelerated PPL?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by waxwings, Dec 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. waxwings

waxwings Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Hello to all in the Av Community. I am motivated to get my PPL & am seriously considering an accell. course down in Fla. Full immersion 14 days or there about. Does any one have an opinion & advice? I have a tech. backround & am a retired motorcycle roadracer so I do trust in my skills & learning curve not to be a Ham fist on the yoke... Thanks in advance for your insights. Alex

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good question, I know this is how many go about it for the professional route. they go from private to Commercial, Multi, and CFI's in 6 months. so yes it is possible and you won't pass the FAA checkride at the end unless the DE thinks you are ready. however, if you just want private for yourself, then ask yourself why rush it? goal is to be as good of a pilot as you can be and I guarantee everything will sink in and you'll be better if taking a little more time. there is also a length of time where if you go too slow you have to revisit stuff. I did a 141 program with about 2 flights a week and took 3 months. It was about perfect considering full time job, daughter, and still some car racing. Without a day job and other duties maybe 4-6 weeks would have been OK flying 3-4 times a week. 14 days just seems too fast, but I haven't been through it.

3. waxwings

waxwings Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Yes understood. For me its not an issue of rushing it. I have no constraints family wise. I could do it up here in the winter of NY over a 30 40 day cycle. However, in sunny Fla is a plus. Thing is i cant stay in Fla 30+ as I in NY. I realize this is just the start of my journey in the Av co. Once back i would continue with seat time. My research on the web has left me confused regards to a pro con school of thought regards to accel programs. Also I did talk with the owner at the FBO. Seems they run a good outfit & I was drawn to the program that they offer, may I say the name on this forum? Please advise. Again, my goal here is to find as much REAL INFO. Thanks to all.. Best regards from a prospective new Aviator.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    No problem.

5. waxwings

waxwings Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Tailwheels in Winter Haven Fla. As I said they seem real good at what they are doing, as the local FAA guys are impressed at the students they are turning out. The program was started by them 4 or so years ago & many thought it would fail miserably, but evidently not. So any body have feedback regards to this FBO? By the way Rob I see you a Ferrari racer in OZ? Good on ya. I a huge Tifosi myself. Been to all the GPs in Canada since way back. Gotta love the prancing horse ya know. LOL

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, you will see a few tifosi on here, people visiting from FerrariChat.com.

7. sheldon957

sheldon957 Rookie

Jul 4, 2007
    I agree with Rob. Unless there is some overwhelming reason, don't rush it. I am as Type 1 personality as there is, but I found with no REAL flying experience or REAL flying knowledge, that it was alot to absorb.

In the beginning, say for the first 1/3 of the lessons, you think "shucks, this is easy". Then all of a sudden the book learning becomes more intense, and the instructor stops helping you on the landings as much, and you start to wonder if you will ever be able to finish.

I would suggest that you start off with 1 lesson per week for the first half, with lots of ground school. The King School series is great. (I went through the CD series twice, and the book 1½ times) Then ramp up to 2 days a week if you can for the 2nd half.

I am a very eye hand coordinated guy, used to immediately being at least "good" at anything I try. At 50-60 landings, I was very frustrated as I couldn't just seem to "get it", and be consistent. I found I was not even starting to get comfortable till I had in 80 landings, and then by 100 I felt I comfortable and that I could do this. I had a total of 50 odd hours when I got my PPL.

I'll go one step further. I have since gone straight into my IFR training, part 141 (quicker), because the #1 killer of Pilots is VFR into IMC.

I took a poll on how hard the IFR training would be, and the general consensus was at least twice as hard as the PPL. I did not find this to be the case. Maybe most of those guys had waited a while to take the IFR, but the first 1/4 of the ground and flying was everything I'd just learned for my PPL.

IFR will make you a better pilot, and get the insurance break.

8. waxwings

waxwings Rookie

Dec 2, 2007
    Hi & thanks for your response. I will take it all under advisement. I shall report back as to my progress as I have signed up for the training. Thanks again for all the input. Merry Christmas to all, & happy holidays, Best of luck to all in 2008. Forza Ferrari

9. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I did my PPL in about 6 weeks, flying 3-4 times a week. I followed that 3 months later with a full-immersion IFR course in 10 days. I think either can work, but retention depends on what you do after. I.e., if you fly frequently right after for several months, then you will probably do a good job of retention; but if you fly just a few hours a month after, then you will lose your peak quickly.

As far as ease of IFR, I think the two are relatively different skills. IFR is more of a real-time intellectual exercise building on top of basic flying skills, so some people will find IFR harder and some easier.

10. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I rushed it and glad I did.

11. dalehall

dalehall Rookie

Nov 29, 2007
  12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I completed my PPL in 11 days, and in retrospect, have no regrets. It was intense but a lot of fun. Prior to engaging in this intensive training, I had started and stopped training twice. Each time I was active I did it in the archetypical "one 2 hour session a weekend" given my work and other commitments so I've seen both sides of the coin.

Part of being a good pilot IMO is learning the are of perfect repetition. Start-up, taxi, communication, nav, plane configurations, etc. The list goes on. The more consistent you are in the task, the less chance there is you forget a critical checklist item. Flying weekends makes it harder to ingratiate this muscle memory. Doing it 2-3 times a day for 11 days in a row, however, makes you very comfortable.

I structured my program so that we flew 4-6 hours a day and had Ground Instruction 4-6 hours a day. This worked for me cause it balanced theory with practicality. I had accumulated 60 hours prior to the course (although the last student instruction was logged three years ago). Flying came back pretty quick, but I did need an endorsement for high-performance aircraft as the SR-22 I trained in had 310 hp!

Overall I found the experience extremely immersive and challenging but a heck of a lot of fun. Being a weekend warrior is a more challening learning proposition, although there may be a happy medium by training 2-3 times a week if your schedule affords it.

I know you have a school identified but if you need another name, check out TheFlightAcademy.com and ask for Tim (although all the CFI's are excellent from what I understand). Tell him Vik sent ya!

Best.

13. SuperflyMD

SuperflyMD Rookie

Mar 29, 2007

Well?

How did it go, and which FBO did you go with?

SF