De Plane and De Plane | FerrariChat

De Plane and De Plane

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bob Parks, Jan 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Alright ! Here's one for you brainy types.

Two airplanes take off at the same time. One flies a heading of 360. The other one, which is due north of the first, flies a heading of 180. Both reach an altitude of 5000 feet. Now, which airplane will hit the other one first???
    Skyraider should have a lot of trouble with this one. Roy is already preparing a defense for the guy that got hit first. I'm running like hell to keep from getting committed.
    Switches

2. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    It would seem that for one airplane to hit the other first, there would have to be an opportunity for a second collision. As this is problematic, I'm not sure how to respond. On the other hand, if the first airplane takes off from the South Pole, flying 360 degrees toward Australia, and the second airplane is due north of the South Pole in New York and takes off heading 180 degrees, I submit that they will never (unless the circle the globe for thousands of years) collide - either first or second.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Ah, spoken like a true barrister. You came through in style, Roy. True science is doomed now with those two airplanes flying in circles forever.
    Switches

4. Skyraider

Skyraider Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Gee! Switches has really gotten to know me....

I'm having alot of trouble with this one.....

They take off at the same time... say 1200Z .......

Was it on the same day? month? Year?
    How many miles apart were they?
    Which way was the wind blowing?
    Were they VFR (VMC) or IFR (IMC)?
    What was the air temps?
    Did they have fuel enough, to reach the collision site?

So many questions.... I feel like a detective for the NTSB!

In jest of course... hahahah!

5. planeflyr

planeflyr Karting

May 27, 2006
    Check out "Test Pilot", the quiz put together in AOPA magazine by Barry Schiff in the February 2008 issue. Question 9 is a "BOO, HISS" groaner!

For those who do not receive the AOPA magazine:

"Pilots need to keep track of time, and most know that the timepiece with the fewest moving parts is the sundial, but is impractical for cockpit use. What timepiece has the most moving parts?"

My hint for those trying to figure this out... The part which states "impractical for cockpit use" is a "red herring".

Warning... Have someone nearby to whap you on the back of your head to bring your eyeballs back front and center after discovery of the answer.

Planeflyr

6. Skyraider

Skyraider Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Yeah, I just read that before I sat down at the computer..

and said HUH???

But they're right... it does have the most moving parts...

Edit:
    The part which states "impractical for cockpit use" is speaking about the sundial... not the answer

Charlie