Stall Spin ? | FerrariChat

Stall Spin ?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, May 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    There was a fatal crash today near here. A Thorp T-18 had engine failure on takeoff and hit a house that was several hundred feet to the right of the runway. I can only assume that the pilot attempted to turn back when he should have gone straight ahead. The problem with that is that he was an experienced training pilot for Boeing. This is the second time that an experienced pilot did this kind of thing in as many years near here. Again, I can hear my instructor screaming, " Stick forward and straight ahead !"

2. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I'm betting the MACHO attitude had a play in this one and the many others like it. The i can save it attitude will always be the culprit of these types of incidents. Sad to hear though.

3. planeflyr

planeflyr Karting

May 27, 2006
    Of course, low, slow, and heavy as one would expect on takeoff is the most dangerous time for an engine failure. For a low powered aircraft like the T-18 if the engine quits the speed drops off rapidly. So fast that even the best of pilots may not recognize the problem in enough time to react by pushing the stick forward and go "over the top" so to speak. By that time the aircraft has already stalled and there is little hope of recovery of any control for an emergency landing, hence an uncontrolled crash.

Since the Thorp is also an experimental, there is no guarantee that it was in perfect rig either which would further exascerbate a stall/spin condition.

Of course these are merely suppositions. I don't know what altitude the aircraft obtained and whether it was under control immediately after the engine failure or whether the accident was, indeed a function of trying to return to the field in a too aggressive manner.

Technique wise, I try to build up airspeed on takeoff well above a stall margin
    (conditions permitting, of course) as a buffer against engine loss and resultant airspeed loss so as to increase the time available for recognition and action before I'm on the hairy edge of a stall.

Condolences to the family and friends of the pilot.

Planeflyr.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Well, we have had another one nearby. An amphibian Beaver crashed when it made a water landing in Lake Chelan, flipping on it's back. When the wreckage was lifted from the lake it was obvious that the landing gear was extended. Out of 5 passengers, two were lost.
    South of here in Portland , a pilot flying Yak with his son aboard was doing low altitude rolls and lost it , killing them both.
    Switches