So Why is the Boxer 2xTR (price)? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

So Why is the Boxer 2xTR (price)?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jlonmark, Aug 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hi Newman,

Grey market cars, at least as the term applied in the 1980s was reserved for a car built for foreign market, that was imported into the US and then converted to meet US specs. This was done with lots of Ferraris, Porsches, MBs, and BMWs, in the 1980s. Part of the lure was that the grey market cars even after importation fees and converting them to US specs were usually still a bit less expensive than a US Spec car. But there were lots of hacks that had no idea what they were doing. Lots of cars that customers bought would come into the US and sit unsuseable for long periods because they could not get them to pass EPA/DOT regs. The emissions issues are no longer an issue for cars that are 25 years or older, but back in the day it was a huge hassel for people that unknowingly thought they would be getting great car at a lesser price than US spec car. Many never counted on the hassels and paperwork etc that followed when cars couldn't meet US regs. Watch the movie Rainman with Tom Cruise and they touch on the issue of Lamborghinis that they are having trouble getting to pass the emissions tests.

Your car isn't what I'd consider a grey market car, although some paper work must have been done to get it here its what I'd call a Euro Spec car (never converted)...nice car...I love the Boxers!

Best regards,
    Dino

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

yes there were hacks...but as you mentioned there was amerispec also. amerispec did my federalization and i consider that a very strong value builder. likewise, amerispec re-euroed my car upon being titled. euro bumpers, lights, no heavy door beams...the bill was almost as big as the bill to federalize it initially!!!

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Hello Dino,

I guess my defintion of a grey market car was wrong but thanks to time we both might be right now? My car was imported to canada in 05 without modification, 20 years is the rule here thankfully or one of you yankies would have it, not me. Because of the 25 year rule for the US the american buyer that was ahead of me couldnt import it but I could! So I consider my car a grey market car.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    As often happpens were off topic, sorry.

My serious answer to the original question is the hand built body in every sense of the word. To look on the underside corners of the hood only to see hammer marks from a craftsman really gives me a thrill that sets the boxer apart from anything else after it. Its the last of the traditional hand built ferraris, enzo was involved with the concept, first flat 12 road car, beautiful styling, the list goes on. I look at a TR as the leap to a modern ferrari where things changed drastically from tradition. I want a TR, I love the fat butt and the flat 12 but it lacks some of the important (to me) qualities that the boxer has and that other ferraris have before the boxer. The boxer marks the end of an era for ferrari, thats pretty cool to me.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Another reason is that Ferrari made almost 4 times as many TRs as it did Boxers...

6. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hi Newman,

Looks like the importation laws worked in your favor! IMHO the Boxer has always been one of the most beautiful Ferraris. I hope you enjoy it every opportunity that you can.

Best regards,
    Dino

7. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hi Peter,

unfortunately, there were probably more hacks than quality federalization centers, but Amerispec was always very highly regarded.

If you look at what I said in my post yesterday I stated, "The only company that I know of that really did fantastic work converting cars was Amerispec. They were famous for converting 512BBs, and I believe they were also responsible for certifying some McLaren F1s...I have no interest in grey market cars other than the Amerispec 512BB/i."

If Amerispec did the work on your car, then I have no doubt the work done on your car to Federalize or re-Euro it was top notch, as they had a reputation for being the best in the business."

Best regards,
    Dino

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    They also did a lot of the Porsche 959s, another personal favorite

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    ...beautiful cars, didn't Magnum PI drive something like that? :D

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

10. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    NOT !!

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The fact that my car was federalized by Amerispec was a major point in it's favor.

A couple of years ago, my car was in the shop with another 512BB only a few serial numbers apart which was federalized by Mardikian-- and hadn't been put back (or touched in the last several years, for that matter). You could really see the difference in the quality of the work!

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I looked at some BBI's that had poor conversions. One had a O2 sensor wire running through a sharp hole drilled in the engine bay shroud with no grommet. Absolute lack of professionalism on a $200k + car (at the time).
    Amerispec was my first choice but given the lack of inventory with BBs I was happy with mine, done by BAE; the Turbo people. Nice job.

13. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    the best conversion was the one that wasn't done. The guy pays and probably payes extra and the car wasn't touched. No matter who does the coversion it's a mess.

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i understand your point. but i do think there are some well converted cars on the planet.

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't agree with that, if you live in the US. Personally, I want DOT and EPA releases, and I'd prefer an honest conversion over a faked one.

If you live in Europe or Canada or someplace where you don't need to have your car converted, them I'm with you.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Trend Auto was notorious for that. They would convert a few cars to use for photos and test numbers to submit to the DOT and EPA to certify other cars that were never touched. I believe a few of the owners spent some time in the cross-bar hotel for that...