308 QV Shift Shaft Seals | FerrariChat

308 QV Shift Shaft Seals

Discussion in '308/328' started by Johnny lunch pale, Jan 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnny lunch pale

Jan 7, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    McLain Hall
    New to the forum and my 308. I am replacing my shift shaft seals and have read all the threads out there. One item I still question is the seal itself. In one thread I saw a reference to the McMaster Carr quad seal as an alternative to the factory seal. All the discussions though focused on "early 308's." Does this McMaster Carr seal work for a QV?

Thanks.

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Welcome to the forum, McLain. The Quad seals are an improvement over the O-rings. The reference number I posted was for an early 308. I'm not sure if the same sized seals are used on the QV. I'm sure someone will come along soon and tell us.

Barry

3. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
    My QV did not use an o-ring, it used seals with no metal backing,
    so they could be deformed to be put into place.
    I replaced mine with oem seals about 3 yrs ago, still oil tight.

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes, the quad seal works fine on all 3x8 & Mondial shift shafts.

Be careful installing it, if one of the little lips gets nicked the seal won't... ;)

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Forgot to mention, the quattro ring size depends on what type seal your tranny uses.

BTW, I can now supply them. $8.85/pair, must know whether you're replacing an o-ring or the newer square rimless seal.

waymar likes this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Hi Verell,

I knew you would "come along soon and tell us." I've had the Quad Rings installed now for ~2 years. No leaking since. I've grown accustomed to the slight increase in shifter stiffness which has most likely diminished since the original installation.

Barry

7. Johnny lunch pale

Jan 7, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    McLain Hall
    Thanks for the help everybody. I appreciate it!

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #8 Verell, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
    Yes, I can supply Viton(tm) quad shift shaft seals that replace the square seals.

It's not a size comonly stocked by distributors like McMaster-Carr. I had to track down a supplier & make a bulk buy to get them at a reasonable price.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The Unobtainium Supply quad seals that replace the newer square cross-section shift seals fit pretty snugly when compressed between the shaft & seal mounting hole. I've recently replaced the shift seals on 3 different 308s: A GTSi, and a couple of GTS QVs. I've found that pressing the shaft thru the seal can be a lot of effort. This tip will greatly reduce the effort:

PRE-EXPAND THE SEAL BEFORE INSERTING THE SHAFT:

Use a socket (or something similar) that's the same OD as, or up to about 1mm slightly smaller OD than the shift shaft to pre-enlarge the seal for the shaft. I use a Craftsman 14mm 3/8" drive socket, but your socket size may vary. Lubricate the socket with transmission oil, assembly lube, or something similarly slippery. Stick the socket into the shaft hole from the side opposite the seal & work it thru the seal. Then when the shaft is inserted it will readily slip into the seal, pressing the socket out as it goes thru the seal.

The shaft will feel very snug, but as it's used it takes a bit of a set & the drag is reduced. The owners of all 3 cars said they liked the improved 'fell' of their shifter.

Oh, yes, don't forget to break the glaze where the seal has polished the shift shaft by rubbing with either 800 grit sandpaper, or grey, red, or green scotchbrite. You just want a satin appearing finish. Seals work by the surface tension of a film of oil. When polished the shaft doesn't holde enough oil to either seal properly, or to lubricate the seal. The satin finish lets a fine film of oil adhere to the shaft, even when it slides under the seal.

ellum likes this.
  10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #10 Verell, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
    I've received several PMs this week asking how to order the shift shaft seals. Here's what you do:

Price is:
    $13.60 = $8.85/pair + $4.75 S&I within within the USA & APOs.
    For an international shipping quote: Send eMAIL with the address & a phone #(required by the international shipping quote software) .
    Ferrari used 2 different seals. The Unobtainium Supply part #s are:

115372-Q
    Shift Shaft Seal, Quattro –replaces the square caseless seal Ferrari #115372 Used on most Injected 308s, QVs, & 328s

105558-Q
    Shift Shaft Seal, Quattro – replaces early style 0-ring seal Ferrari #105558 Used on early Injected 308s, Carb’d 308s & 308gt4

Unfortunately, the transition from the #105558 to the 115372 seal is not well documented. I recently replaced the seals in a GTSi tranny & it took the older 105558 o-ring seal.

You can send: PayPal, MO, business or personal check. Heck, I'll even take cash if you can get it to me safely! Sorry, no credit cards tho.

I MUST HAVE A PHONE# as the shipping companies require it these days for insured packages. Also, a phone # is mandatory for all internationsl shipments, even to Canada.

To order via PayPal:
    Send $13.60 via PayPal to:

[email protected]

You must tell me what you are ordering:

SUBJ: ORDER: 1 pair #115372-Q Shift Shaft Seal
    or
    SUBJ: ORDER: 1 pair #105558-Q Shift Shaft Seal

If you're paying with something other than PayPal, please send me eMAIL with the address & a phone # to ship them to, tell me how the paymen'ts are coming & I'll respond with Unobtainium's snail mail address for the payment. Also, I'll trust your eMAIL saying your payment is coming snail mail and will log your order.

BTW, if you're changeing the shift shaft seals, you may want to replace that tired SilentBloc bushing with a new long life Delrin one. A tool that makes pressing the SilentBloc in & out is also available. They're both described here:
    Unobtainium Supplies: Delrin Shift Bushings
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173230

11. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Done! Thanks.

12. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    Mark me down as a satisfied customer of Verell's shift-shaft seals. They popped right in, and the shaft went in nice and smooth, with just a little encouragement needed. No more leaks! Course it didn't hurt that Verell was actually there to help me get everything apart and back together!

13. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great post , Verell to the rescue!

14. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Wow, i must have missed a great party. :D

15. Badman

Badman Formula 3

Mar 4, 2007
    Gotham City
    Full Name:
    Bruce Wayne
    I keep tellin' ya your missing out on too many FFIC events ;)

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I just got this tip from another customer:
    Hope it's helpful.

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    A threaded rod is a very powerful lever!!!

BTW, there was quite a bit of shift shaft discussion on this thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235175

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    There have been several posts, plus I've received several PMs saying that people have solved the problem of the old style O-ring shifter seals sliding axially between the two sides of the sel groove as the shift shaft moved. In particular, it works extremely well when an O-ring is paired with a quad seal. The round side of the O-ring fits snugly into the quad seal's concave side.

Effective immediately I've upgraded the 105558-Q Quattro seal set for the early cars to include a pair of O-rings. As a result, the price has had a modest incease. The product is now:

105558-Q
    Shift Shaft Seal, Quattro/O-ring combination – replaces early style 0-ring seal #105558 with a Quattro ring/O-ring pair. Used on early Injected 308s, Carb’d 308s & 308gt4

Price: $12.85/2 Quattro/o-ring sets + S&I

Unfortunately, the transition from the #105558 to the 115372 seal is not well documented. I recently replaced the seals in a GTSi tranny & it took the older 105558 o-ring seal.

You can send: PayPal, MO, business or personal check. Heck, I'll even take cash if you can get it to me safely! Sorry, no credit cards tho.

I MUST HAVE A PHONE# as the shipping companies require it these days for insured packages. Also, a phone # is mandatory for all

For ordering instructions see the last page of the Product & Services Catalog:
    http://www.UnobtainiumSupply.com/Catalog.php

BTW, if you're changeing the shift shaft seals, you may want to replace that tired SilentBloc bushing with a new long life Delrin one. A tool that makes pressing the SilentBloc in & out is also available. They're both described here:
    Unobtainium Supplies: Delrin Shift Bushings
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173230[/url

19. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    #19 SeattleM5, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just wanted to add a follow up to this thread. It's been a little over 10 months and a thousand miles or so since I installed Verell's shift shaft Quad seals and I'm extremely pleased. I didn't really notice any significant increase in effort when shifting with the new seals installed and it's such a nice feeling not seeing that puddle of oil under the car anymore. Installation was pretty straight forward using instructions posted on the site as well as those provided by Verell. I also purchased one of his Delrin bushings for the shift shaft and installed that as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thread resurrection!

I see the two seals sit inside and either side of the oil casing but I note on the original parts diagram, Part No. 106168 states 2No. required, but that part looks like dust cover / bellows that sit on the outside of the casing, just want to confirm my exact requirements

I require 2 seals for a 1980 Gtsi 2v. What part number from Unobtanium do I ask for?

21. freccia75

freccia75 Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Switzerland
    Hello all,

somebody please can tell my the correct dimensions of the quadring / X-Ring ?

Regards from Switzerland