Compression test numbers. | FerrariChat

Compression test numbers.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dr.mike, Aug 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    I ran a compression and leakdown test on the boxer. The numbers were all consistant within 10psi ( 145-155psi ). The leakdown test showed it to be nice and tight. All less than 5%.

From the the old rule of thumb of 17.5psi/compression point, I get an average value of 154psi ( 8.8 * 17.5psi = 154psi ) for the stock pistons/ratio. Which jives with the numbers I got.

But, ... this test was done at 2200ft altitude and the temperature was 109F ( Las Vegas in August ) Density altitude of about 5000' MSL that day. Which gives a relative density of 86.2%. So, the average value of 152psi corrects to 174psi at sea-level.

Which would seem high for an engine which is supposed to have an 8.8:1 compression ratio. These numbers SEEM to indicate that the pistons are in the 9.5 - 10.25 to 1 range. I am suspicious because it calculates out to almost exactly 10:1.

Or, am I just over complicating this ?

Anyone know the 'good' stock numbers ?

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    #2 fastradio, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mike,

When my 365bb had the stock pistons in her, the compression at 600' above sea level on a typical Summer day (80dF) was 155psi, across the board....consistently, year to year. Leakdown tests were also in line with yours...I have no reason to doubt the owner's manual specs of 8.8:1 for the compression ration. I understand the physics of your calculation, but think you're may be overtinking this, as the gauge may have some internal compensation for atmospheric pressure.

Below is a picture of the stock versus high-compression pistons (12:1) that I installed in my 365bb.

Regards,
    David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    Thanks for the info, David.

Your numbers square exactly with what I would expect for a stock motor with a, 8.8:1 ratio at 600ft MSL.

[ WARNING! more over-thinking follows. Includes math! I can't help it. ]

I find very little written about compression tests and altitude. There is a lot on dynomometer correction info though. I was digging through SAE J1349 to get the formulas. All I could find is that compression numbers are usually quoted for standard conditions, 623ft MSL, in Detroit, Michigan. The baseline in J1349.

I found this calculator online: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_abs.htm

I plug in the test day's numbers of 109F, 27.9inHg, 7% humididy and I get a density altitude of 5523ft MSL and a relative air density of 84.8%. Given that, my numbers should have been around 125-130psi

There does not seem to be any compensation mechanism in the compression gages. Just a regular PSIG gage and a check-valve. So, its reading SHOULD follow the relative air density. I don't remember, off the top of my head, the rules for heat-capacity of, gasses though.

I found this on the ASA site: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2003/techtotech.htm

There are some variables that affect the readings obtained from compression testing. They are cranking speed, altitude, temperature, worn camshaft lobes and high-performance, long-duration profile camshafts. The cranking speed needs to be maintained the same for each cylinder. This may mean jumping your battery to maintain the speed. There are factors to compensate for the different altitudes and the corresponding temperature differences.

These are as follows:

1,000 feet = .9711,
    2,000 feet = .9428,
    3,000 feet = .9151,
    4,000 feet = .8881,
    5,000 feet = .8617,
    6,000 feet = .8359,
    7,000 feet = .8106,
    8,000 feet = .7860.

The equivalent compression reading for a cylinder that should be 135 psi by the data at 5,000 feet would be 135 x .8617 = 116.33.

These numbers SEEM to correspond directly with the air density ratio for a given density altitude.

My brain makes me do these things.... :)

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I just wish you guys would use SI units! Silly imperial stuff. :)

Onno

5. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    You think this is bad ?

Try electrodynamics :)

6. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    These questions keep coming up, you guys need to study "valve timing". You could have 12:1, or even 25:1 CR pistons, but if the valve's dont close before TDC you wont get one pound of compression.

Not only is compression pressure based on the compression "ratio" of swept volume vs chamber volume, its also based on valve timing and the number of degrees after BDC the intake closes. If it closes early, youll get a higher test result. But the later it closes, later valve timing, which is also what high performance cams are supposed to do, the lower your test readings.

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Paul,

I am aware of these facts...and agree that all you state is true. However, I believe that Dr. Mike was just trying to get some baseline figures for his 365bb. These cars are so rare and since he and I have both have 365bb's, the comparison between the two cars is meaningful.

David

8. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    I am aware of the physics of dynamic compression, valve phasing, etc. :)

But, at cranking speeds, the camshaft/valves could only cause lower numbers than the ones predicted.

If the numbers were lower than expected, I would look into the valve timing, cam specs, etc.

But, my numbers are higher than expected ( for the conditions ). And at the few hundred RPM at cranking, this would appear to require a higher mechanical compression ratio than stock. The port velocity during test is too low to allow for any significant inertial packing of the cylinders.

The comparison with David's car ( when it was stock ) verified that the 365bb engine falls inline with the 'rule of thumb' numbers. It's my only known good datapoint :)

9. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I understand what your attempting, but I am arguing is thats its useless and irrelevant. Let me explain. The cam pulleys are pinned to the cams, so that at the very best the accuracy is +/- 3 degrees. This is at the cam, so ultimately its about 6 degrees crankshaft IIRC. Also, it seems that many do not follow the OWM to the extent of degreeing thier engines anyway, but rather they simply place the four cams on the index marks and call it good. Because there are manufacturing differences, relying on the marks is a wild guess, hence expecting two different sets of cams to be identically marked is futile. Which brings us to the cams themselves. Unless you have data on the cams that show lift and duration to know they are identical, unless valve clearances match exactly, all things considered your already shooting in the dark.

As stated elsewhere, temperture, humidity, barometric pressure and altitude all play a part in the formula for calculating compressing air in a cylinder. But as regards an engine, temperture, battery condition, oil viscosity, engine clearances, internal drag, air induction capacity, gearbox drag, accessory belt drag, all work together to set the engines cranking speed and air induction, complicating the matter considerably.

For all of the above reasons, aircraft mechanics, aircraft engine manufactures and the FAA, settled on the leakdown test as the most clear cut way to determine the mechanical soundness and continued service of a piston engine. It works on any engine regardless of size, and has no bearing on valve timing, compression ratio or any other factor.

As far as trying to calculate CR by a compression test, I believe it would be impossible. Higher CR with later valve timing could produce the same compression as a low CR engine with early valve timing. Or, simply having 20W50 in a high performance engine with a weak battery could produce the same numbers as a low powered engine with 0W20 and a good battery. Once you start weighing everything you should begin to see how futile it is. In motor racing events where a winners engine might be questioned by other competitors, its not uncommon for judges to ask that you remove a cylinder head for inspection.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have you tried a different compression gauge, or confirmed that you can believe your gauge to the accuracy that your concern implies?

11. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams

Hi, steve.

Yeah, I double-checked with a different gage, just to be sure. A Snap-on and a cheap Harbor Feight POS. They were within 2psi. I think I paid about $150 for the Snap-on and $9.95 for the Harbor frieght unit. Go figure ... I have a Fluke 718. But that's only good up to 100psi :)

Paul.

You seem to be missing my point about cam-timing at very low RPM. All of the things you mention can only cause a decrease in readings from the theotetical maximum. I have been timing cams for 30 years. A late closing event on thein take WILL cause a lower reading. But, without inertial forces provided by the velocity of the charge, you can not get a reading higher than isotropic at 100% volumetric efficiency.

The prediction made at isotropic ( adibatic ) compression at 100% volumetric efficiency represents the theoretical maximum for a given mechanical compression ratio and ambient conditions. All of the other parameters ( cam timing, leakage, weak battery, etc ) only cause a reduction in the test reading from the maximum.

It is true that when you have a low reading of say 80%, it it not possible to tell directly what the contributing factors are. And becuase of these factors, it is not possible to reverse the process and convert compression test numbers directly into mechanical compression numbers.

But, what you CAN do is calculate the MINUMUM mechanical compression ratio to support a given set of numbers. That is, even given a theoretically perfect engine, the readings will be exactly as predicted by isotropic compression. If you see an engine with a mechanical compresion ratio of 8:1 producing compression test numbers of 180-200psi at 3000ft density altitude, somethign is up.

For example a warm engine at 190F at near the SAE standard conditions 14psi and 60F with an 8.8:1 compression ratio, 365cc swept volume.
    At low speeds and without combustion, t2 approaches the engine temperature. So...

p1 x v1 p2 x v2 14psi x 411.8cc p2 x 46.8cc
    ------- = ------- gives ------------------ = ----------------- ... p2 = 153.98psi
    t1 t2 460F + 60F 460F + 190F

can be simplified to

14psi x 8.8 153.98psi
    ---------- = -------------
    460F + 60F 460F + 190F

For those who dont like mixing units :)

Working this backwards, you get

(460+60F) x 153.98psi ~
    CR = ------------------------ = 8.8
    (460+190F) x 14psi

So, 8.8 as the minimum compression ratio that can produce these numbers under these conditions.

my conditions gave

(460F+109F) x 152psi
    CR = ------------------------ = 9.71
    (460F+190F) x 13.7psi

Assuming losses of the type you describe, that 9.71:1 number would have to go even higher to yeild the same psi readings.

In fact, is you allow the average leakdown number of 3% to represent those losses, you get almost exaclty 10:1

12. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    Wow. The editor really mangled Charles' law.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    On the topic of calculating compression ratio indirectly through cylinder pressure, I have a real head scratcher. My nephew races stock cars, I build his engines and its very challenging because of the rules that need interpretation by me. He does very well so I look pretty smart LOL but after the race you need your tech inspection just like any other form of racing. The engine must pass the whistle test. Its a device they insert in a plug hole and rotate the engine by hand, it it whistles you are over the specified 9:1 compression ratio. They also have an electronic version of this device that is supposed to be dead on. How do they do this? How does the machine calculate compression ratio like that? He is right on the line (well maybe a tad over, like .2:1 over hehehe) so he passes the test but just barely. If the engine is cooler the numbers drop slightly vs blistering hot with glowing exhaust.

14. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    The whistle tester is likely just a whistle inline with a spring relief valve set to open at the required pressure. Probably with a bi-metal spring for temperature compensation. They can calculate the pressure from the equations above.

The elecrtonic one likely has both temperature and ambient pressure sensors so that it can directly calculate the density. Maybe even a compressed gas temperature sensor. With that, they can tell what the minimum CR needed to produce the reading is. So they can say You are 9.2:1 or over. But they can't tell you by how much you are over becuase they can not measure the pumping losses.

The calculation is made by Charles' Law which I tried to quote earlier. ( I guess the form I used is closer to Avagadro's law with the molar masses removed. ) But it was rendered unreadable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avogadro%27s_law

There is also the matter of heat capacity ratios. But it ends up being insignificant in the final readings.

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003