355 Exhaust... Again. Not happy with Tubi... | FerrariChat

355 Exhaust... Again. Not happy with Tubi...

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mr Dobermann, Sep 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    Sorry guys, but i just need to start this...

I have just bought my 355 GTB -95. A car in VERY good condition. My dreamcar... and now i have it. :)

I have always droowled over the sound of these cars, when they are equipped with some aftermarket exhausts... Incredible sounds... :p
    My car has the Tubi Exhaust, with stock cats(recently opened and refreshed with new cores), and the bypass valve is also wired open at this point.
    When i was getting the car i thought that this was gonna be just the right sound for me... but - im a little dissappointed with it. Yes, with the sound. I just wanna have more. I dont think it has the right Ferrari F1-sound that im droowling for... Okey, when i rev it up, it does make a little more sund, but i still wanna have more of a Raw F1 touch in it. - So im thinking about some changes.

First i was thinking of getting rid of the Tubi, and getting the Kreissieg exhaust :O - Maybe with some Hyperflow cats(I wanna keep some kind of cats on it because we have the emissiontests once a year here in Sweden). I have heard it and i think it sounds really nice... but - Capristo is a very good alternative for me, and sometimes i think that Capristo sounds better, sometimes not.

The difference between Kreissieg and Capristo seems to be that Kreissieg has straight pipes when the Bypass valve is open. This must be the reason for the really "cutting" sound that Kreissieg exhaust makes. - But, is the Capristo the same? Or does Capristo really run their pipes trough a muffler, or is this just a fake for our eyes?

I have some experience with metal work and tools, and cars, so from the beginning i was also thinking of "rebuilding" the Tubisystem, so it becomes more like the Kreissieg Exhaust... I was thinking of making new bypasspipes(Maybe also a X-pipe) from the headers(Collectors) to the bypass valve, and then run pipes straight out to the existing tail-pipes, similar to the Kreissieg-system... Maybe this can be nice?

Then i have also studyed this forum really thorougly, and discovered that there are a few other brands of exhausts also, that sound really good... ITS-Japan i think it was, and MS or something... Anyone with experiance of these systems?

Finally this exhaust-thing seems like a big mess, everyone has their favourites bla bla... I just wanna have a really nice F1-like sound in my car, and im not satisfied with the Tubi, so please give me more feedback on this...

Any suggestions where im gonna buy Capristo, Kreissieg, ITS - IF i decide to go for any of these... Here in Sweden we dont have many dealers, so i guess ill be ordering from the States eventually...

- Or maybe ill just do as i was thinking from the beginning, re-weld the Tubi in a proffessional style(Straight-out) with some laser-cut Ferrari 355 signs on it...

Sorry for the spelling, im heading for bed now(Tired as h..ll)... Please give me some advice.

Take care, Kimmo / Sweden.

2. ferrari.ace

ferrari.ace Karting

May 25, 2006
    So.Cal.
    Full Name:
    Adam Cox
    Kimmo,

I have always been very happy with Tubi's quality and support. They are 2nd to none. Fausto and Frank are first rate guys in my book. The only thing about Tubi is that there are probably more Ferrari's running Tubi's than anything else on the market. Therefore you don't stand apart from the crowd.

There is a company, MS Racing, out of Japan that builds exhaust systems that I have always been very impressed with. They are hand built, lightweight, excellent quality, unique design and sound, much attention to sound tuning.

They are very hard to get in the USA. I have installed 3 different MS Racing muffler systems, a 355 system with cat. and bypass delete, a 360 system with cat. delete and a Diablo system with Tubi headers and cat. delete and megaphone tips. The Diablo was used for the sound on the X-Box 360 PGR3 game.

If you gotta have that "F1" sound, I would go with the MS Racing muffler, delete the bypass valve and get rid of the cats! Change them out once a year for the emissions test. You won't be disappointed!!

I don't know of anyone selling them in the US, maybe you could find sombody in your country or on F-Chat, that deals in import/export with Japan.

Adam

3. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    I am running a Quicksilver muffler and even among fellow 355's my car always gets comments about it sounding like an F1 car, It is very loud and very high pitched. Awesome :D

I would start by changing the bypass valve back to original, then work from there.

4. kuwait355

kuwait355 Karting

Jul 9, 2006
    Kuwait
    I have a Tubi stage three on my Spider 355, and was facing a similar dilemma. I love the sound, but I think I need something with more noise. I was thinking of installing cat pipes, as emissions are not an issue here in Kuwait, but I'm not sure if it would sound too loud though. Any ideas as to where cat pipes on a Tubi or an MS exhaust sound can be heard?

How much does the MS exhaust cost ?

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    First decide ---Do you want to spend $3K, $5K or $10K---There are options out there for for each of these price ranges.. X-OST makes a very nice system for a nice value, I have the dual bypass Capristo setup and it sounds good also...After that is the Kreisseigg and MS which are big $$$$$$

Also HyperFlows are a good choice for cats if you want to keep the emissions in place....

6. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan

Wach this Video, it's amazing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrAyCgOQhjM

7. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Check out Gothspeed's new creation...amazing sound, VERY custom.

8. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I got my Capristo level 2 from hgparts.net (in Germany). I was very happy with the service and the sound is amazing. I honestly can't imagine having a louder car and driving it on the street.

9. Doc Bob

Doc Bob Karting

Apr 18, 2008
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Dr. Robert Read
    And a big "Me too!" I have the Level 3 Quicksilver, cat replacement tubes, Not-So-Fabspeed headers and GruppeM air box. The sound blows you away! We have many tunnels in Dubai and on the weekend I go running through the tunnels with the windows down so I can hear it for myself. Truly awesome!

We have many many different exhaust set ups in our Ferrari Club and this combination sounds the best going around the track. It gets tons of comments and compliments abound.

I can send you a picture of my Tella-Tubi sitting on my spare parts heap if you wish. Yup....nice guys to deal with but the sound just didn't lite my F1 candle at all. My wife's Civic with a holed out muffler sounded more F1ish. In fact, after tons of money, time waiting for it to be delivered and then time spent to install......when I fired it up I just couldn't warm up to the "lack of sound". It just wasn't what I expected in the end. Very disappointed. I even let my friend run it around the neighborhood while I listened and then the same trick on track day......but still no woody.....no reading on the Peter Meter.....no joy Three weeks later it was replaced by the Quicksilver and WOW! That's all I can say. WOW!

Remember that the sound is a very personal thing and that all these "sound bites" and You-Tube crap are not even close to what you really hear in the open environment, so don't be influenced by that crock. Go to a Ferrari track day or a Ferrari Meet somewhere and do your ears some justice by listening and talking to the owners. I was one of those that got sucked in by the marketing hype and sound bites and the pretty girls sprawled all over nicely chromed exhaust systems. The second time around I actually went...listened...fell in love....talked to the owner.....THEN bought.

Good luck!

10. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    We are brothers!!! :D

Do you happen to have a photo of your air box? This is something I would like to add to my car also.

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Agreed, however, the prototype for the 355 has not yet been built, but we are hopeful that goth will get off his azz this week and complete it. :) He was side tracked by my runner project and some other stuff, but we will try to get him back on track. :D

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  13. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Thats awesome. Thank you for the link Robbie. They look great!

Do we know if there is any real "seat of the pants" performance improvements?

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    348 / no cats / challenge exhaust...bingo

15. Doc Bob

Doc Bob Karting

Apr 18, 2008
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Dr. Robert Read
    The answer is "yes", "qui", "aiwa", "si", "da".......

With stock exhaust system in place we put the thing on the dyno before and after the ram air installation. We got +15 hp increase at the back wheels. Some people claim +18 and Dimex claim +20 with tweaking of the ECU and then you add in all the other things like cat replacement tubes, aftermarket headers, silencer, etc etc etc.

So +15 is conservative but can be expected.

If you go to the Dimex website and download the 355 Christmas Wish List, you will find some HP increment values based on specific modifications. I found their published values to be very conservative but realistic when compared to the modifications I performed and the dyno results along the way. I've documented all the results which happened to be stored on a dead computer right now, but when that situation is rectified I'll put them forward. I am very fortunate to access to a friend's speedshop and my 355 has been somewhat of a guinea pig.:)

http://dimex-group.com/en/home/catalog.html

16. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Very interesting, thank you.

17. sunline

sunline Karting

Dec 23, 2004
    Ashburn Virginia
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have an MS Racing exhaust. I almost didn't want to put it on the car, it was so beautiful to look at. The sound is very F-1 like, loud when you let her rev out. I have Hyper flows so that pushes the decibel level up a notch or two. Thay can be purchased through madpsi.net for around 4k

18. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    I second the MS Racing, they sound incredible. If you want to try one, let me know and I can help with ordering one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHd0moPOka0&feature=related

They sound incredible, like a screamin' demon.

19. SHEMM

SHEMM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    ILIO
    We put two identical 355 spiders side by side, both with straight pipes, one with tubi and one with capistro. The tubi sounds great, but the capistro sounded more like an F1 car - just cuts you like a knife !- my vote is capistro with straight pipes.

X-Ost didn't do anything for me - wouldn't waste my money on that one.

Whatever you do will sure beat the stock exhaust - good luck!

20. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    I have had the following on my car

Xost - with cats
    Tubi Rumore - Without cats
    Capristo Level 3 Without cats

Xost - Crap in my opinion, cheap and it shows

Tubi - Nice sound, but just not aggressive enough

Capristo - Unbelievable F1 scream, gorgeous in every way, but really not for the faint hearted. System has done 3k miles now, and is just getting louder and louder. I honestly think I will get in trouble with the law soon with it, by far the loudest road car I've ever heard.

21. Doc Bob

Doc Bob Karting

Apr 18, 2008
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Dr. Robert Read
    EXACTLY! "Aggressive" is the term I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, the Tubi is a nice product and they are great people to deal with but it doesn't grab you by the ears yelling "I'm and F1 race car!!!!" And face it, as boys, this is probably what we want from the sound.

22. Mr Dobermann

Mr Dobermann Karting

Jul 31, 2005
    Those MS Racing exhausts sounds really nice... Anyone know how much they are and where to get? Are the ITS-systems the same manufacturer or..?

Capristo is also a very very nice alternative... The problem is that i dont know what to choose now! :)

Im thinking about going for the Fabspeed Headers, and Coat them only on the inside with the absolutely best Cheramic Coating. Then maybe the Hyperflow cats, and Capristo or MS-Racing at the end... This must be a nice set-up... or?

Kimmo/Sweden.

23. Doc Bob

Doc Bob Karting

Apr 18, 2008
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Dr. Robert Read
    Good luck with your search!

24. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008

Here's aggressive.

Not the best quality, or film, but gives you some idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YYhYn-Gkc

ShineKen likes this.