328 York A/C Compressor | FerrariChat

328 York A/C Compressor

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Futureman, Sep 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Rebuild or replace? I've got a major leak somewhere on the compressor (gasket, seal, other?). So I'm trying to decide whether to rebuild it or just replace it. Opinions and advice welcome.

2. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Replace. Carl Rose did a 'how to' on 328 A/C...he intitially rebuilt his compressor but it ended up leaking again & he replaced.
    I know NAPA has the compessor...If you need me to look let me know

Mike

3. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I found new York compressor here:

www.discountacparts.com

Half the price my mechanic quoted me.

When I gave them the part number off the old one, they said "1983 Mercedes?"

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Be sure its a York and not an Aspera, which looks like a York externally, buts uses different seals and other internal parts. There should be a metal ID tag on the compressor itself with the manufacturer, model and serial numbers thereon. If it turns out to be a York, you can find seals, ect...at most parts stores such as NAPA. If it is an Aspera, it will be much more difficult. I had to get Ferrari of Atlanta get me a rebuild kit for my BB512i compressor which I understand came from Italy...

5. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 mike, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
    Here is the link for napa

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(snubvw45dslwfb55evpznbn3))/Detail.aspx?R=TEM278108_0120135854

Part number: TEM 278108 (look under parts pro SE)
    New: $419.00
    If you can maybe cross reference the NAPA part number to the 'discount ac parts'...I have done exactly that but with a few different a/c companies

Also this is from Carl Rose and his 'how to 328 AC recharge' . ( if you purchase the NAPA compressor you will need the different mounting bolts )

"The above replacement of front compressor seal held for about 6 months. I then found oil dripping from rear compressor plate & elected to replace compressor. The first compressor (#258108) I purchased had similar fittings to Rotoloc but were not correct; a second compressor had proper endplate. I sprayed with Krylon dull aluminum to replicate factory finish. On reinstallation, I found that the lower mounting bracket fittings on the OEM compressor were threaded for metric bolts on the bottom while the replacement #258108 used 3/8 x16 TPI on all mounting points. I purchased two 3/8 x16 TPI x 2in long grade-8 (so gold cad color would match original hardware) to use on lower bracket. Realize if you ever need to disassemble these will require 9/16” wrench & all other fasteners are metric."

Hope this helps

Mike

6. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Yep, I knew all about Carl's project and the NAPA connection. I was just wondering if anyone else had rebuilt theirs. These are supposed to be rebuildable. I have a users manual for the York 206 (which is what is in my car) which gives detailed instructions for replacing the front seal and the top and bottom gaskets. My top plate gasket is where my leak is. There's no point in just replacing some of the gaskets and seals. You gotta do 'em all. I didn't see in Carl's write up where he did the top and bottom plate gaskets. He said that's where his leak started after rebuild. Other than time, a rebuild is pretty cheap....and let's face it, I don't really have that much going on. So what do I care about time. :)

7. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    It's already 2019 (old thread). My 328 AC system needs work - imagine that. It has a York compressor (block-shaped). I've read completely through Carl Ross' paper on the topic. Carl mentions a Sankyo 507 compressor, but not a Sanden 507. It's my guess those two latter are the same. From all I've managed to gather, the Sankyo/Sanden 507 is the preferred compressor if one is rebuilding the system. Replacing the dryer and expansion valve as well, of course. My question (information I haven't been able to find) is whether the Sanden 507 compressor is a bolt-in/drop-in for the York unit? Will I need different brackets, or is there an issue with rotation direction - anything else?

Thanks much.

8. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Mr. Walls,

Glad to see my original article is still useful (sorry about the Sankyo error). Regarding the compressor:

* Replacing the USA/SA Aspera/York unit with ROW Sanden will require replacement of multiple brackets and possibly the timing belt cover as well (per the comparative parts diagrams), and I am uncertain if the original hoses will fit or require modification.
    * The replacement new NAPA York unit (TEM 278108) appears to still be available, and (excepting requiring standard-thread lower mounting bolts) will simply bolt directly in without modification and utilize the original clutch assembly. Paint silver (Krylon dull aluminum #1403), masking the data plate and fittings/driveshaft, for a very close match. Keep your original.

Another option is to send for rebuilding: Ranshu (www. ranshu.com) rebuilt and returned my original Aspera unit in about 10 days for a very reasonable amount.

rocket50 likes this.
  9. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    Thanks, Carl - I did indeed see the part about which would bolt in when I read through your paper, and apparently promptly forgot - as seems to happen more often now in my late sixties.

Best Regards,

~Troyce

10. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike

Attached Files: