My adventure driving an F1 car! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My adventure driving an F1 car!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Birdman, Sep 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Great story and outstanding writing. Funny and inspiring all at the same time. I especially loved this line...."This car could scare the living **** out of Satan himself." Thanks for sharing it with us!

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I don't know. Are you really tall? There were some pretty tall guys in the class.

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Damn straight...and I'm looking forward to it!! :D

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Got a link????

5. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    Amazing Story Birdman!

If I remember well AGS used to be a F1 team a little while ago (Ok, they were one of the worst)... I guess they did a very nice reconversion of activities...

May I suggest that if you go to there, take some holidays and stay longer because Provence is one of the most beautiful regions of France...

Cheers.

6. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    Birdman your the Man!

I built my first go kart using a Maytag gasoline washer engine. I was hooked on speed (not the drug) from an early age.
    Was/am a racing fan, have raced go karts (the last had twin westbend 820's with 3 carbs each running methenol, if it took more than 2 laps to start race
    I would run out of fuel, had to carry 30#'s of lead to make up the weight).
    In the mid 80's I did the Russell driving school at Montreblant in Canada, Formual Fords not anything your F1(it was the year Molson and LeBlatt war cancelled the Canadian GP)
    In 86 we took European Delivery of our Porsche 944Turbo, 15 minutes after we left the factory we were at 140 mpr (5000rpm in 5th dot not go over 5000rpm
    until the first service) We crisscrossed Germany and drove the old Nurburing. We showed up at the Factory for our 1st service and Charlie Schneider
    asked if we slept in the car to put so many miles :).
    I could not afford to race cars so I took up racing motorcycles. In 88 at Laguna Seca I did a half and full day school, repeated it in 89 and then for my birthday
    in 89 my wife got me a 2 day advanced school after the school I would have enough track time to race at Heartland Park a track opening in my home town.
    The first day went great, the morning of the second also was great. I don't remember getting on the bike that afternoon, suffice it to say I was the worst crash in California Super Bike School history.
    That was the end of my racing, I could not put my wife throuht that again.
    A couple of years ago our daughter bought me a 'ride' ( passenger 2 place) in an 'indy' type car at Kansas Speedway for Christmas. I upgraded to 3 laps at (nearer to) racing speeds . Not to be crude but the only thing I could compare it to was the first time I had sex it was enjoyable and over almost as soon as it begun.
    I envy you Birdman

Stephen

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Congrats on fulfilling a dream. You have a great write up and it's evident that you had a fantastic time and even a better memory. What a special gift your wife provided... congrats to her too.

Question..... You speak a lot about warming up the breaks, did you have the same issue / concern about the tires? I did a Nascar experience and frankly that was my biggest concern.

8. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Funny you should ask Bas, I had the same thing in mind. Guess we Dutchies are somewhat handicapped at times in this respect.

Birdman, one word: WOW!!! Awesome writeup of an awesome experience. And very inspiring.... Thanks!!!

Hans

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    We stayed almost a week. I left that part out....didn't think anyone wanted to hear about the rest of the trip. We hit the beach, went to Monaco for dinner (drove as much of the F1 course as you can in our rental car), etc. A very nice region of France, great weather too!

About the tires, I don't think anyone in this course was going to be going around the corners hard enough to need to worry much about the tires, especially considering how hot it was out and how hot the pavement already was in the sun. That's why they concentrated on the brakes!!

Jonathan

10. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Ok, normally I am not an envious type of person, but now, MAN I AM SO ENVIOUS!!!!! That was awesome.

Oh and I am sending this link to my wife...

11. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    I would love to do something similar myself at some point. Thanks for taking to time to do such a great write up!

12. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

That's a great experience! Well done, sir, for marrying such a thoughtful woman.

13. drchako

drchako Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    Let me add my congrats on a great experience and an even better write up. Well done!

-DrC

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i had tears in my eyes reading this, i was so excited!

i am not sure if we can still nominate threads or not, but i think this should be "Thread of the Month".

what a great thing for your wife to do for you, applause to her, and to you for sharing it with all of us sitting at our computers somewhere!

thank you, i felt like iw as there!

:)

michael

(ps, thanks for the QV fuseblocks, i will have them in the car this week, if i do not drown from all the storms heading this way)

15. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good for you man! Sounds like you married a keeper!

16. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jonathan you had me on the edge of my seat reading your adventure. Congrats. You have a career ahead of you in auto journalism.

17. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience: you write so well that we were all on-board that F1 with you.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yeah kinda, 6'8'' but most of it is in my legs...so i might have to bring an angle grinder to make a nice hole to put my knees through:p

I reckon i'll have to give them a call sometime :(

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #44 tifosi12, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    Flamesuit on? :p

Anyway, you owe me a good nights sleep! Awesome write up... truly awesome. Written any books? :)

21. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim

I thought that was funny, coming from a guy who can't heel and toe, lol.

Either way, it's all good times.

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Birdman,

Great birthday gift! Great writeup!

Regards,

Art S.

23. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Congrats, Jonathan. Once you get a taste of that power to weight ratio, life is never the same! :D

24. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Awesome write up! Thank you Jonathan for taking the time to share your incredible experience!!

25. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    you lucky bastard

From their website:
    WARNING ! Maximum measurements: 220 pounds / 6,3 feet