Recall - ground wire to the OBDII plug? | FerrariChat

Recall - ground wire to the OBDII plug?

Discussion in '348/355' started by hacker-pschorr, May 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    #1 hacker-pschorr, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
    My father called the dealer that serviced his "new" 97-355GTS for the prior owner to check on the recalls (the fuel line / fire thread had me worried).

Per the service tech, all recalls up to 2005 have been completed. The only one they do not show fixed is some type of ground wire on the OBDII plug. I did a search for this, came up empty.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Oh yea, the car is also going between 1,100rpm and 2,000rpm idle at stop lights (one stop it will be 2,000, next stop will settle around 1,100 or somewhere in betwee, totally random). Check engine light came on yesterday..... I'm getting the scan tool mentioned in the other thread for these cars. We'll see how that works out.

Thanks!

2. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #2 jm3, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
    From what I understand, Ferrari originally (intentionally) changed the protocol on the wiring at the ECU on OBD2 F355. This was ostensibly done to force owners to have their car serviced and codes read ONLY at an authorized Ferrari Dealer.

This is against the law, back then and now, so a Fed recall was initiated to require Ferrari to swap the ECU ground location (pin) to allow the codes to be read by any repair shop.

Unless the recall was performed, your OBD2 scanner will NOT work.

This is from memory.

Jay

3. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    There was just another thread on this in the past few weeks, do a search. I had mine fixed last year under warranty

4. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    Well, I guess dad and I will flip a coin to see who will take the 355 on the 400 mile road trip to have this fixed.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #5 f355spider, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Let me know if you want to do it yourself. I can send you the pin you need N/C. I bought 10 of them.
    Easy to do, just tight quarters.