who services your ferrari (like a maj) | FerrariChat

who services your ferrari (like a maj)

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by irondogmike, Apr 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I know quite alot of service shops that work on ferrari's some are in concord,bay area,woodland hills,silcon valley and sacramento............I've check out three shops already and just wondering what else is out there.........this is not to say the ones I've check out were not someplace that I wouldn't take my car to because I would take it to them,just what more options,like prices up front, what does it include, is everything that is worked on come with doc's and pictures and how long is the car going to be tried up,I'm comparing these things to what eugenio's does but he's so back up you may forget what your car looks like..............lol

2. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Brian Crall is up there with Eugenios IMHO.

3. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Most of the very good mechanics are either backed up, or just not taking on new Clients.

Be careful of the posted pricing. It seems to be a time honored tradition that guys invoice about 12 hours, or more, for every eight they work and/or they just tend to have a price their going to charge you for a transaxle, engine, gearbox, etc. rebuild regardless how long you spend on it. And this isn't limited to Ferraris either. Ever wonder why your BMW is in for a day and you rack up 12, 16, whatever hours in labor? It's not because more than one person worked on the car. And this comes from someone that was a BMW foreman at a local facility. This is how they make money. So, if you see $150, $175 an hour, and guy actually charges you what he spent on the car, it's going to a be a deal. All the good guys I know are at the $150 and up level. But, as I said, most are either not taking new business or you'll wait for a bit unless your a favored customer.

The other trend that is mind-boggling is the wealthy collector that comes in and states he'll pay double the going rate if you work on his car first. There are several I know that are pretty booked with this type of work as well. The guys have money and they just don't care what it will cost. They just want it done right and fast. I lent out some of my personal mechanics on some big jobs (transaxle and engine rebuilds) on exactly this type of work. Amazing what the Owners are willing to pay to get their cars worked right now.

Steve

4. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"
    +1

Brian's shop is top notch.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Truth and wisdom

6. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    If Brian Crall is not too far I would just go there. I don't think you can do any better. He's a great guy and knows what he's doing.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Brings to mind the old saying:

"You can have it fast, good or cheap - Choose two."

:)

8. ts328

ts328 Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Sacramento area, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Terry
    If you live in the Sac area..consider Scott at MM. He performed the 30k on my 328 last year..and also an engine exchange on another vehicle of mine. His knowledge of cars is impressive..and the quality of his work is outstanding! I'll be taking the 328 back to him for all future maintenance..

9. Willis

Willis Rookie

Nov 21, 2007
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just had a great experience with Crall...no BS and he cares

10. DaParma

DaParma Rookie

Mar 6, 2006
    Sacramento, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Look into Ben Salerno at Salerno Motorsports also (Rocklin). Ben and Cory have done a great deal of work on my 355 and are very informative and educated in everything Ferrari. They guided and counseled me through a very trying time in my ownership history and continue to do great work for me.

11. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Brian Crall did the engine out major on my Testarossa. Outstanding quality and service. Highest recommendation.

12. mix'nitup

mix'nitup Rookie

May 7, 2008
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    khanh
    Hi guys, I'm from the Bay Area too and I would love to come to Brian when I need his work. Thanks in advance.

Khanh

13. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    Brian is the best ...he takes care of my TR.....heres his # 925-552-9700

14. jdb

jdb Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    This thread is useful -- I am new to the area (from LA) and my 355 needs some work done (30k is not far off). The local Niello Maserati delership said it does Ferrari service, but I think they do this out of their Jaguar dealership (?). Anyone have experience or advice here?

Sounds like Salerno is a good option -- anyone have contact info?

Thanks!

15. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    #15 irondogmike, Sep 7, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
    I just got my major service,and fluids,emr brake rebuilt along with a new water pump from mugello motors,I've got to say, scott was great on getting the car in and out in a week,the car is much faster,smoother,and very much more reliable than b4,I'll be taking my car there when ever it needs anything, www.mugellomotors.com

16. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    +100 for Brian.

He takes care of my F355 even though the drive is a bit long from San Jose. Worth it to get the job done right, though.

17. b3tech

b3tech Karting

Apr 17, 2007
    Los Gatos CA
    Full Name:
    Boyd Bowdish
    I would suggest Grand Prix motors in Campbell, if you need restoration, you can not get better.

18. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003

second that... Juan at GP Motors does my Dino and restored the Dino that won Best of Show couple years back at the CI.

19. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    My old tech from Ferrari of SF just opened up a new shop.....he also works on various supercars and race cars.

http://rossamotors.com In berkeley.

20. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Guiseppe is a great guy, best of luck to him.

21. PinoyP

PinoyP Formula 3

Aug 7, 2006
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    AL
    Just right next to Patrick Ottis shop?

22. OneofMillions

OneofMillions Karting

Nov 8, 2007
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    Christian L.
    I've had my 360 with Guiseppe since he started his new shop. This guy rocks. Top notch.

23. JLP

JLP Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Bay Area, Ca
    Yep...