F40, I need a digital wastegate controller | FerrariChat

F40, I need a digital wastegate controller

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by WILLIAM H, Sep 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hey, my mechanic was telling me there seems to be a glitch common to USA F40s where the wastegate allows the turbos to spool up to quickly then dumps it out at 5500 rpm which sux

So he says a digitally controlled wastegate that I can program to dump at 17 # would be ideal so I could keep my foot flat and not have the wastegate dumping my boost prematurely

I saw an F40 once w what looked like an HKS digitale wastegate controller

anybody have one of these ?

Can you tell me how well it works and where to buy, cost etc ?

Thanks

WH

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I've never heard that, but couldn't that be adjusted at the wastegate as well?

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #4 joe sackey, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
    I have heard your car run and it seems to me you are running it on straight pipes (no cats, no mufflers)? Am I correct? And it has the original waste-gate still affixed?

5. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes, this set up allows the boost to increase more quickly but the old mechanical wastegate had a glitch from the factory on USA cars according to my mechanic

so he thinks the digital controller would be ideal for getting around that

Thanks for the info on the Greddy etc

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I tried to but it dumps it all at once at 20#

a digital controller would constantly leak it out as slowly soon as it hit 17#

7. 99F355

99F355 Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    LONDON, UK
    Full Name:
    Chip
    I would strongly recommend you consider the Turbosmart E-boost. These are extremely reliable and used in many drag and competition cars...

8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    FYI, Greddy/Trust declared bankruptcy yesterday.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You have a PM good sir!

10. 99F355

99F355 Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    LONDON, UK
    Full Name:
    Chip
    In the US only?

11. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Adjusted, how? Its just a spring tension device.

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I would either replace the stock wg with a HKS 'race' wg or a TIAL which I personaly think is higher quality. You should be able to buy various psi spring's for the wg as I had done with my TIAL wg. All that is moot because an EBC (electronic boost controller) will rock your turbo world. Not only can you set the max boost but you can set the 'gain', meaning how soon full boost is hit and how long it is held. Also with the Apexi you can adjust the max boost for each gear and the rpm in which it hit's, including the boost 'gain' in said gear.

There was no way I was going to trust my stock ecu boost setting on a $5K race built engine with a T66 turbo without having more control over the boost.

Just buy an Apexi and have it installed and dyno tuned by a reputable shop.

13. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    I can vouch for the Apexi AVCR, it's a good bit of kit:) The little computer screen also displays everything such as injector cycle duty, revs, speed, boost and so on.
    It'd be a first seeing one on an F40 though!

14. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #14 frefan, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
    williamh its my understanding the F40 wastegate is not mechanical; its controlled by the ecu, no? davidhelms rebuilt my wastegate and its really smooth. what turbos are you running, the original ones or the current 'enhanced' ones?

edit: does this happen only when engine temp is < 190? thats a common problem when the cars are running cool

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm running original turbos, where do you get the enhanced ones ?

16. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    The enhanced ones are the OEM replacements; ie if you order them from Ferrari they have a supercede part number. The biggest difference is they use bearings instead of bushings, and the blades have an edge on them which causes them to spool up earlier and faster. I have the part numbers around here somewhere, or if you call any Ferrari dealer they can tell you. Some people confuse them with LM turbos but they are not LM turbos. You could get them from Ferrari, but there are also the parts houses like Ricambi and Ferrparts as well.

With regards to your current problem, I had the exact same setup as you with no issues, so I wouldn't suspect it has anything to do with your exhaust config. The wastegate itself is a pretty simple device, just a spring and a diaphram that is controlled by the computer. The tension on the spring is controlled by adjusting nut on the outside, and its pretty critical that is correct and should not be adjusted from its factory setting. From what I have heard, a lot of cars has them (incorrectly) adjusted by dealers because owners were complaining with the same symptoms you describe, and the problem was simply that owners weren't allowing the cars to come up to temp (ie 210). I have to run cardboard in font of my radiator to keep the car up to temp when the weather is cool (regardless of what I do with my right foot :D)

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Running "cardboard" in front of your radiator should not be necessary even in in full winter conditions, if the F40 is properly fettled, and is operating correctly.

18. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    not all of us are driving around with plugged up radiators joe

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.