77 GTB OEM fuel pump replacement | FerrariChat

77 GTB OEM fuel pump replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by RMDC, Aug 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Has any one installed the Facet replacement pump for the BCD/Corona pump? Is it a direct replacement? If not, what are the modifications necessary to install. Tried hard to find the BCD/Corona with no luck. Still trying!

2. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    25 views and no response. Could be I do not know whereof I speak. Am I missing something?

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    sorry, did not see this thread. i have used the facet pump from NAPA twice. no issues that i remember. there is a difference in the facet versus fiamm fuel filter housings i think, so i ran all new rubber fuel lines.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The Facet pump is the prescribed replacement and requires no regulator. However, many (including me) would tell you that the Pierburg is a better pump and also requires no regulator.
    I've used both, and prefer the Pierburg.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  6. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I have not used it but I have heard that the CARTER fuel pump as sold in places like Summit is a very good replacement.

7. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Also heard from Peter (consultant, 308GT4 ) using search before I posted this. He mentioned that his car never ran right with the Facet pump.

I do have one last hope for finding a BCD/Corona pump. I went on the factory tour last year and invited my cousin from Rivoli to join me. When I went to the BCD/Corona website in search of a pump I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they were in Rivoli as well!
    He's going to search in Italy for me. He's a retired FIAT exec and knows the industry so I have some hope. Problem is Italy shuts down for the month of August. and it may be a while before I find one. I sure miss driving my car!

8. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    And thanks all for your responses. Will keep you posted as to what I find.

9. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Finally went with a Facet/Purolator pump from TRutlands/Maranello? Part# 100245R. At least the mounting bracket holes line up. Bought 2 brass fuel line fittings locally. You'd think they would have sold them with the pump. Once it's installed I'll update the post with any installation issues and how it performs. Thanks again to all for their advice.

10. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Thanks to Bertocchi, Spiderman348 this thread is history. David installed the Facet-Purolator fuel pump (100245R) from TRutlands. My 308 occupies a standard garage and tight is the nicest way of putting it. The car was chocked, on a stand and a jack which meant David had to really do it the hard way. But that he did and I will be for ever grateful for his friendshp and his help.

I did have to buy two 5/16ths fuel line fittings, one straight and one 90 degree, other wise the pump was a good fit, but with no room to spare thanks to the proximity of the fuel filter and the saddle tank.

Spiderman348 had all the right tools to supplement my meager tool chest and had the old pump apart while David was installing the new one. Seems the shaft which drives the vane locks in with a flat surface on one side and it had rounded. That explains the pump whirring with out pumping fuel. He could also see steel particles where the shaft had rounded. John has keen eyesight because he then spotted fuel leaking from the fuel overflow return line while we were running the pump. I've had a small fuel leak since I had the car and could never find it. Thank you John. That solved a 4 year problem. David noted I had been lucky, because that's the stuff that starts fires. Thank you John.

Just got back from a 30 mile ride including a run up Rte 128 with a quick sprint. Car ran flawlessly from idle through all the gears. No sign of any leaks/fuel smell.

I will attempt to have the BCD/Corona pump rebuilt and will update this post when I do.