Need PPI for an ebay purchase, any help in CA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need PPI for an ebay purchase, any help in CA

Discussion in '348/355' started by rskdsk, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    That interior looks very worn to only have 18k miles IMO. There are lots of people who believe odometers, I believe 'condition'. 'Low miles' can be faked, 'condition' cannot.

You are doing your due diligence. I personally would not sell a car unless the buyer was satisfied with what he is buying. One cannot guarantee future issues but can at least show the buyer what he is getting at the point of sale.

When I sold my 993TT the buyer had a PPI done by Andial and the only thing they found wrong was an intercooler hose that was over tightened and squished the rubber too much. I had Andial replace the hose anyway, even though it did not affect function. When the guy took delivery of the car he took it to his personal mechanic, the guy called me back and thanked me profusely for keeping the car in great shape.

That 355 looks very worn beyend its reported miles .......... if there is something to be gained by tampering with the odo ........... there are plenty who will do so. :(

My .02¢

2. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark

I called that one, title issues because he has never even seen the car and is in Nigeria. Consider that deposit gone.

3. stevenbmaserati

stevenbmaserati Karting
    BANNED

Jun 15, 2007
    Claremont
    Full Name:
    Steven B.
    oops

Didn't see that.

Sorry.

I retract.

Best of luck on the purchase.

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
  5. Greg Z

Greg Z Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Full Name:
    Gregory L. Zelinski
    LOL, no its not. Its a Internet "Auto Trader" used for advertizing and selling. Sheesh

6. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    I agree it is an internet auto trader set-up in an auction style as a gimic ... and it works ... as for the TR ... yes it is gone, wishful thinking on my part.

7. horsmanp

horsmanp Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Patrick Horsman
    The seller said you dropped out, what did you find wrong with the car? Did you get your deposit back?

8. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    I did contact the seller today and drop out of the deal ... Besides all the red flags discussed here ... I recieved an email from someone claiming to be "IN THE KNOW". He indicated that I needed to be very careful, i would regret dealing with this guy, and kiss my money good bye! He did not go into details and I am trying to find out more. I did contact the seller and inform him of this email, and the seller indicated that he had contact the guy who sent the email and scolled him for contacting me ... (yet I never told him who contact me) hmmmmm .... GUYS, ALL THIS SEEMS WHY TO FISHY TO ME. The seller seems to have pissed off someone already with this deal ... I am not interested in being the next guy.

SO, for all of you with money in hand ... and live close enough to verify this is legit ... contact the guy ... just be cautious! I am on the east coast, I am not able to do the proper investigation from here.

9. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    BTW: please do not lecture me on the rules of ebay ... I really could care less! If the deal stinks after the auction is over, you would do the same!

10. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Sounds like you are moving forward without the car. Good, too many red-flags. You can buy a great car on eBay, you just have to be VERY careful. I hope that you did not lose any money in the deal, though wasted time is valuable too.

Good luck and keep looking, you will find the right car when it comes on the market. Just don't try to force it.

11. trentw

trentw Karting

Jul 25, 2005
    Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
    Full Name:
    Warren Trent
    Could someone just delete this sh1tty thread?

12. blowndroptop

blowndroptop Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    ny
    Full Name:
    dave jacobs
    auto trader is a classified site ebay is a auction site if you read the rules its says that it it a leagle binding contract hey what ever you do is your choice its people like you and others out there that have made ebay sales do shaprley down hill the amount of people who buy then dont pay is tremondus good luck

13. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    +10,000
    I'm with you all the way on this one.
    I bet most of these letter of the law ebay experts probably never bought anything more than a Ferrari poster on ebay. If it shows up tattered and torn BFD it was twenty bucks or so.
    How many of you ebay do good geeks are willing to insure this guys purchase with your own funds? Step right up folks.....f-ing dicks!:(

14. GWB

GWB Karting

Feb 18, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Gavin Britz
    " Combine that with a very bad cell phone and a seller with an accent ... "

Please not everyone with an accent is bad as this implies. This really comes accross as a racist statment - not acceptable in America and I want an apology. I have an accent, an South African one, work as a neurosurgeon at a great American institution and am NOT a flake. Accent does NOT IMPLY FLAKE OR BAD PERSON AS YOUR STATEMENT IMPLIES.
    Dissapointed to see this behaviour with a fellow owner of a Ferrari

15. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    This is gonna be good!

Popcorn anyone?

16. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark

Didn't you mean a South African accent. An South African doesn't really work there. I'm sure that's not what he meant. If accents were really that bad I'm sure that Dyson guy would be selling so much of his crap on TV with his commercials and his British accent.

I still think this seller was a scam and most likely from Africa. Probably not South Africa though, so don't think I'm bashing where you are from.

17. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    +1 It's over.... Nothing to see here....

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #43 PAP 348, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    Alright all, I did not say all people with accents are bad .... geeess get a life. My family has accents! The point I was trying to get across was that I know about all the nigeria scams out there and that the bad cell phone and a nigeria accent was just another reason to be cautious. This statement is not racist JUST A MATTER OF FACTS WITHIN THE WORLD THAT WE LIVE!

I am done with this threat as well.

Thanks to everyone that helped ... that is the true spirt of this forum!

20. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    It works both ways. If the car is not 100% as described in the auction, the deal is off. The only way to be sure is a post auction PPI (unless a PPI was already performed and full disclosure is in the auction or available before the end of the auction).

I'm sure more people have been burned by cars with false descriptions then bidders who backed out. A car can be re-listed, once you have a POS car that was sold under false pretenses, as the buyer you are SOL.

These eBay tactics that do not allow sufficient time to properly look over a car is what's wrong with eBay. NOT people doing their due diligence.

If someone has a legit good car on eBay, and if they have half a brain, the PPI would already be done at a well known shop with full records disclosed. Anything less opens up the seller to a situation like this one. It's a hell of a lot easier to screw someone as a seller then a buyer.

21. trentw

trentw Karting

Jul 25, 2005
    Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
    Full Name:
    Warren Trent
    Kill this thread. With fire.