Help Electrical Bug in my 348 | FerrariChat

Help Electrical Bug in my 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by 92verdescuro348ts, Sep 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 92verdescuro348ts

Dec 14, 2003
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #1 92verdescuro348ts, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
    So I put a new battery in my 348 about a month ago. I had no issues ,drove it straight for a week then parked it for a month. Now, when it starts the buzzing for when you first insert the key will not go away unless, get this, unless the engine is over 3400 RPM. The it stops and comes back on when the RPMs drop below. I am planning a long trip this weekend and I do not want to hear the buzz for 4 hours, but I also do not want to get in to it and not be able to drive the car this week. I drove the car for about 10 miles straight and still had the same issue. I also noticed that the dome light will not go off unless I turn the battery kill swicth off. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Carlo

2. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    faulty door contact maybe? thinks your door is open when it isn't? Just a hunch.

That buzzing sound is one of the most annoying infuriating sounds on the planet. I've tried several times to locate the source of it and failed. I'd love to kill it for good.

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Your dome light should have 3 setting.

Tilt it full forward, tilt it flat, and tilt it backwards. One is always light on. Another position is the light is always off. The third setting is the light comes on when your door is open.

Check that a seat belt isn't caught in your passenger door. Make certain that both doors are closing fully.

Set your dome light to the "always off" position.

Now you shouldn't need to use your battery kill switch.

4. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #4 No Doubt, Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe that 44 and/or 46 are your buzzers in the passenger footwell (or just to the right of your steering column, I've forgotten now). Just unplug them. I did.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #46 in the diagram IS the buzzer for the key, but it isn't in the passenger footwell, it's just above the driver's left knee. Pull down the carpeting just below the dash, right next to the knob for the backup release handle for the front trunk, and you will see two relays. The one on the right is the buzzer, and it can be unplugged from the harness.

If you are having a problem with both the buzzer and the dome light, it seems likely that the cause may be with the switch, which is located at the lower hinge for the drivers door. Look at the hinge (the part on the frame, not the part on the door itself) and you should see two pushbuttons. IIRC, one of them is for the buzzer and the dome light, the other one is for the seat belt. It's possible that one of them has become unclipped from the correct position and fallen fully or partially inside the cavity behind the hinge.

I can't explain the symptom of buzzing only below 3400 rpm, but if you just had to replace the battery, did you have the alternator tested as well?

6. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

I knew that you'd know! Good man.

7. 92verdescuro348ts

Dec 14, 2003
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Awesome! Thank you Guys!

8. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Detective burk is on the case! (what, no cool photos with the pointer device?) I always enjoy your posts Jeff...

Brian

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Well, now that you mention it, I DID take pictures with the pointer device (an arrow shaft) and I intended to post them, but I'm having trouble getting pictures to download from the camera's memory card. Used to work just fine.

10. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    The pool cue is always my favorite!!!

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL!