Who owns a 2002-2004 BMW M3? | FerrariChat

Who owns a 2002-2004 BMW M3?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ronsupercar, Sep 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I just had a few questions on reliablity and problematic issues with this car. I was always under the impression that Bimmers were trouble free and low maintanance. Now that I'm in the market I here that they give problems and need constant repairs. Is this true? I know with more performance comes issues but I don't want to get into something that needs constant care since it will be a daily drive.
    Please comment

10Q

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    not a problematic car at all, there was an issue of spun bearings and that was denied by BMW until enough people sued and it was addressed in the usual BMW way.

the issue is going to find one that hasn't been beat to within an inch of it's life, these cars were manhandled by the owners. says alot about BMW's engineering to put up with that abuse, however if maintenance and proper care weren't taken care of AVOID the car.

3. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Might want to try www.bimmerfest.com and their forum.

I'd be concerned with a SMG especially due to the high cost of that gearbox to repair and replace. Find an untracked car with above factory recommended maintenance.

My wife's car is a 2006 M3 conv and it's a great car, even with SMG(necessary for her manual tranny inadequacies). But, we had a rotor come loose at 10K miles, defect of some kind. BMW's have a few more problems than they used to but these things do happen.

I use the BMW club's Mike Miller for these types of questions, in fact I asked this question a year or so ago:

"As far as the e46 M3, what should be my concerns with purchasing one used. I would probably get a 2002-2004 version with under 35K miles to keep the cost down. Are there any concerns with the older models than later in the production? I know there was a rod bearing recall(or service bulletin) but wasn't the real problem the high rev limiter? Can a car's computer show max rpms history of a car? With regards to the options, I'd want a low optioned car. I believe you've previously stated that the Comp. Pkg. is not worth it, that the suspension is actually worse than the stock M3. I do like the wheels but also would probably prefer to go aftermarket anyway with light wheels. I'd probably also modify the suspension, maybe dinan or turnermotorsport's mods. "

His response was:

"The E46 M3 is a high maintenance, high cost car, but then you already know that. It's cooling system is more durable than a regular E46, but it's not really up to the task of high heat competition driving. In that case, I'd refer you to www.zionsvilleautosport.com for their all-alloy radiator.

I wouldn't worry about the rod bearings as long as you keep the rpms no higher than 7,600, use the original BMW 10W-60 oil only, and change it every 7,500 miles. The earlier cars (up to 2004) have problems with window regulators and door seals, but the parts have been updated and we're not seeing failures with the new parts. You can expect the normal BMW stuff -- electronics mostly, like climate control issues, door locks, etc. The main thing with a used M3 is to make sure all the maintenance was done so far. Check the maintenance records against the maintenance schedule in the glovebox document portfolio. I have a used vehicle inspection form but I'm not on my office computer right now. Remind me on Monday and I'll send it to you..............
    I think the E46 M3 would be the more fun car to drive (even with that wretched SMG). It's also going to be cheap if you can wait a few months. Once the E92 M3 starts wading ashore people are going to dropping E46 M3s in droves. "

Hope this helps but really, this in the wrong forum to ask these questions. Good luck.

Jeff

4. Exact10

Exact10 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2007
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Annie's Daddy
    I have a 2005 M3 Competition (which is for sale)
    It's a fabulous car, covered 35k miles, once only had an issue with the SMG and BMW fixed it in minutes, they reprogramed something and it has been faultless since.
    Here's how I got my first E46, I was offered a white 2004 by a friend when the lease was expiring, I needed a car to drive over the winter as I didn't want to use my 996Turbo in the bad weather. I bought the M3 directly from the lease company and firstly hated all of the plastic inside, the dashboard etc. I was in the process of getting rid of it but had to drive down to LA from the Bay Area and decided to take the M3, I gotta say that by the time I reached Santa Monica I was in love with the car. My wife wouldn't drive a manual so I sold it and bought the SMG competition in Interlagos with nav and everything else I could get. 20mpg, utter reliability, BMW servicing, still under warranty, it's a fantastic car. I'm selling because I want a new shape with the V8
    But really I can't think of a better car for the money, goes like a Porsche, easy to drive, great fun and cheap...Buy one you won't regret it

5. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Whats the better of the 2. The manual or smg transmission. I hear that the 6sp is faster 0-60 but by how much. Which tranny is the best to get. I love a 6 sp but the smg is so 2008.

6. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    I have an 01 M3 convertible with 55k miles and with the exception of tires/brakes, no issues.

I have the hardtop for the car as well...looks sharp!

Considering selling it...will let it go relatively cheap too...PM me

7. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The SMG is a bit odd to me but has it's advantages. I prefer and always prefer to clutch and shift. SMG very complex transmission, and I assume would have more issue potentials even if well maintained. It might be hard to change the fluids on the SMG, BMW has this ridiculous "lifetime" fill recommendation on tranny's and diffs which basically means it's lifetime is reduced. Manuals can be changed at ideal intervals, therefore better maintained. SMG's repair bills will be more. Get a car from someone who changes the diff and tranny fluids at appropriate intervals, probably have to find a club member or enthusiasts car. Lease car returns will not be properly maintained(no point to spend the extra $) but if you get a certified used M3 you would get the extended warranty as well.

Jeff

8. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    I have an 04 M3

Best car I have ever had, bar none, including my Daytona.

I have had zero trouble since an exhaust pipe baffle had an infant mortality. Replaced under warranty at first service. NOTHING since in over 20,000 miles. Did have about 1 week of down time when the dealer did a CPU update and could not get it running afterwards. They provided me with a car until mine was on the road again.

Have had NO SMG problems. It is, by the way the same mechanical transmission with an electronic shifter. It shifts FAST, far faster than I could ever shift with a standard shift car.

Car is almost a dead heat with my friends Daytona in a drag race, and outhandles it significantly.

Not fond of the standard brakes. They are way too overboosted, and I have experienced significant fade on one long downhill run.

Otherwise a great car.

Good Luck

9. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    I have a 2001 E46 M3. Only 26k miles. I take great care of her :D

Even after driving the F430...I still like driving the M3.

10. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    i have an '02 SMG :D

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Surprised no one has mentioned the two chronic (and $$) issues around.....sub-frame failures and VANOS issues....

12. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    what are the moderators being paid for?

13. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    my 2005 m3 smg is an AWESOME car.. and takes all the track abuse you can throw at it while driving like new..

it had a few issues.. but nothing too serious.. it's my main car and I drive it often.. wonderful car.

14. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    I don't believe they are paid....and you get what you pay for-

15. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've had 3 and am getting my 4th in a few days.

I'd get the 03 model. The 01-02 have potential spun rod bearing issues and 04+ have the potential Vanos failure.

The only people who say BMW's are problematic are the ones who have never owned them, it makes them feel better about driving their Corollas.

Sweet cars and have never left me stranded.

16. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Oh please, I've had several BMWs and I CAN say the newer the car the worse they are in the LONG term. If you plan to dump the car after your lease is over than they are great cars. If you plan to use it as a daily driver and get it above 60K miles than it is a crap shoot plain and simple. As some stated above, E46s (and E36s) can have sub-frame cracking issues. It seems to be more common in cars that are DE driven than anything else. However, many people have reported street only cars with the same issue. As reported above, electronics are the big danger to higher mileage BMWs. (and some lower mileage ones) The more crap you have loaded into the car (nav, auto this, auto that, etc) the more likely problems will occur. The TPS and Cam sensors tend to take hits under 100K also. (Engine heat maybe?) Lets see, manual rear view mirrors tend to go bad above 75K. Some E46 cars ended up with bad front window seals (they rot early, ask me how I know this one). Water pumps, thermostats, expansion tanks; all should be replaced by 60K or your risking getting stranded (E39s are especially prone to this). I've heard (but not had this problem myself on the E46. E36 and E39 yes, but not E46) about control arm/ball joint issues. Also there have been reports of engine wiring harness issues (corrosion I believe).

http://www.windigoauto.com/E46CommonProblems.html
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117693

Now the good news is that the SMG does not seem to have any issues with premature failing or clutch wear. And they are a BLAST to drive.

Now most of this stuff is not too expensive (especially by Ferrari standards) but very annoying when most happens well under 100K. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW are no longer the German tanks of old. The BMW CCA tech guru will tell you out right that if you want a BMW that will last then stop at an E30 (and others of that era). Basically, you have to like to drive them (not as a status symbol) if you keep them past warranty. Kinda like a Ferrari.

17. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have an 01 M3 6-speed w/ 71,000 miles. My cats went out today, ("service engine soon" light came on, pulled the code), will be covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty (8 years/80,000 miles). Other than that, no problems whatsoever.

I only average 17 mpg per tank, consistently. And I'm easy on the throttle pedal,---- I wish I got better mileage.. :-(

Greg

18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I cant figure out why this BMW thread can stay in Ferrari Discussion but that great thread on the Toyota Corolla got moved...

19. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    #19 spEYEdr, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    three-pedals makes it a blast to drive (I'm not the SMG type -- even my 360 spider has 3 pedals).

Currently at 68k miles.
    Issues: rear trailing arm bushings replaced (RTAB) at 50k, alternator replaced at 65k, xenon headlight ballast replaced at 65k, water pump failure / radiator issues at 55k

I upgraded the stereo (see www.bavsound.com for details -- I did the works), installed a Valetine 1, and the car is perfect. I enjoy driving it as much as my 360 spider.

I highly recommend the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    Can someone with both 360 F1 and E46 M3 SMG experience compare the two gearboxes, please? I have experience of 360F1, newest M5 SMG but not E46 SMG (just 6spd).

21. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    thanks for the advice. pls keep em coming..

22. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Join me as I hit the "Report Post" button :D

24. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I've been driving E46 M3's with very few problems for a year now. Have put over 50k miles combined on 3 of them and picking up a 4th shortly. One had 112k miles on it and was fine.

My point still stands, most M3 owners are happy with their cars, sure there's a few consistent problems but it's not as bad as the keyboard warriors who have never owned them make them out to be.

25. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The F1 feels faster in shifts and is much smoother in my opinion. The SMG launching is also terrible compared to the F1. The SMG drops the clutch at 2k making for a wimpy start. The F1 you can plant your foot and get 6k+ rpm launches.

Here is my biggest gripe between the two. The E46 SMG paddles move with the steering wheel which makes it very confusing to shift during spirited driving. The F1 paddles are stationary which makes sense or maybe I'm just more used to it. The E46 luckily has the normal center console shifter but my complaint about it is that you have to click up to shift down and click down to shift up. Very confusing and goes against my instincts.