anyone ever turbo a 348 | FerrariChat

anyone ever turbo a 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by blowndroptop, Sep 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blowndroptop

blowndroptop Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    ny
    Full Name:
    dave jacobs
    i would like to know if any one has any links or info on turboing a 348 twin''s ofcourse a set of headers turbos and some piping intercoler would be tricky what do we got people

2. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    forza mag featured one earlier this year...it was a twin turbo...if this helps

3. blowndroptop

blowndroptop Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    ny
    Full Name:
    dave jacobs
    o com on guys you can do better than this i wanna turbo my 348 no info there has to be pics and specs somewhere

4. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Here ya go... Koenig 348 Turbo Kit

Not an easy job since the engine compression is so high to begin with. Unless you change the pistons, anything more than a small amount of boost will cause detonation on regular pump gas. And the motronic system, fuel injectors, regulators, MAFs, exhaust, etc. would all need to be modified/upgraded. Probably best to go with a kit like the Koenig system rather than piecing something together.

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Look up Norwoods in Texas. They have put turbos on loads of Ferraris.

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    might want to talk to smg2/scott, he's trying that, I believe, as we speak.

7. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

+1. They offer a 348 turbo kit. All ya need to know.

Darrell.

8. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Norwood never did put out a 348 kit.
    There was a mention of a kit on their site for
    some time but it mever materialised. I asked
    them about cost and they were in the 45K bracket.
    A bit much. We've mapped out a solution for a
    lite turbo (7-8psi) we figure will put out 425hp.
    Currently working on the engine management
    solution. Our plan is to implement this winter
    when the engine comes out for it's full service.
    I'll post when we get further along.

9. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A bit much??

10. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

Ya learn something new every day. I had seen the kit on the site a number of times, just didn't know it wasn't offered. They do build turbo 348's though. I have seen a number for sale over the years.

Darrell.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Member 348_Turbo had a Norwood's one.

12. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LMAO!!! does that include the car???? Because thats well MORE than I paid for my car!!!

13. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly why there aren't too many turbo 348s out there. The Koenig kit was around 50k IIRC. It just doesn't make sense when the kit is more than the current pricing of the car.

14. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    Whenever they see the Ferrari badge......$$$$$

We've estimated a turbo system can be had for under 15K.
    Exhaust headers -4K
    Turbos - 2K
    Piping - .5K (custom)
    Intercooler - .75K (custom)
    Exhaust - 2K
    ECU - 4K

Time - priceless

15. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I thought I posted in here yesterday, but it seems my posts are missing?? :eek::eek:

Anyways, yeah man. Can be for that easily. ;);)

A friend offered to TT my 348 a few years ago. I can do it for around the AU $5-7K, for parts. His labour and tuning for free. ;);)

16. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John

+1 Especially the time factor for fabication & fitting.

17. blowndroptop

blowndroptop Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    ny
    Full Name:
    dave jacobs
    you can fab up a set of headers for $800 then the piping is $129 for thats for 10 feet of pipe and some bends which will have to be cut to size then after you take those to a fabricator and make nice ones turbo are your choice of what you want to spend then can we just use a stand alone ecu or a piggyback like a vpc i have a twin turbo mustang and we made the kit from scratch with 2 88 mm turbonetics turbos 763rwhp with the top down i felt it would be nice to have anothe turbo car next to the 930 & the stang

18. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    I left lots of room in the pricing for remakes.
    It's a Ferrari so the end product has to look polished.
    Everything jet coated, etc.

19. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    A ferrari mechanic I know used to work on a Koenig turbo and told me that it had 2 engine rebuilds in a coupel of years.

Then again, there's a yellow Koenig 348 that does a lot of trackdays and he doesn't seem to have any problems.

20. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    I LOVE THIS IDEA ... I too once built a junk yard turbo mustang ... all said and done less than $1000 for great hp. The tough part is the engineering of the exhaust manifolds and getting the right a/f ratio, timing, aka ecu. With those two pieces in place, the rest becomes childs play.
    So who among us can get the manifolds engineered?
    And who is or ecu guru?

21. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    BTW, lets just be reasonable with the internals of the engine ... let start with just a 50-75hp boost.

22. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B

I think that is the way to go. Take the original 2x 1.7L 150hp engines and boost to 180hp a side. Sounds reasonable. There may even be a 'ricer' 4cyl kit that could be modded to suit. Would move a slug of torque down the rev range and make the car feel much faster. Nice small turbo's would spool up quickly too.

Would turbos put in the position normally occupied by the cats be too far away from the action?? I know little about turbocharging..

23. markarelius3

markarelius3 Karting

Jun 17, 2007
    Alpine, UT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Been kicking this around myself. I think it can be done much easier and cheaper than one would think. I'm thinking of the following:
    1) Keep the existing ex. mani.- remove cat- weld flange on mani, install GT28RS, fab bends from turbo to existing exhaust can. bridged dump valve. Each side. $2800 both sides.
    2) Dump both ECUs, install Hydra Nemesis stand-alone, using SPEED-DENSITY system, requires TPS on Throttle plate, picks up triggers from RPM and density from EBC. Goodbye mafs. $1500.
    3) remove air inlet to TB. install velocity stack and KN cone at inlets, twin A2W intercoolers plumbed to Heat exchanger in faux grill. A2W pump run on PWIM based on density from Hydra ECU. $1500
    4) A2W to TB connectors with boss for Aquamist fogger and BOV. $500
    5) Tuning, $2000.
    7-8psi 425-500hp
    $8200

OPTIONAL:
    Custom pistons dimpled at valves, becoming non-interference engine and lower compression.
    13-15 psi.
    hp? sky is limit
    ?? Anyone know where to have these made?

24. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'll play.

1. Anything above 6 or 7 lbs boost will cause detonation on standard premium gas (California - 91) so an inexpensive set up would have to be small dual turbos to avoid the cost of engine internal upgrades.

2. I've seen an article of one set up (I believe it was a Norwood 348 turbo) that placed the turbos after the catalytic convertors and it was still quite effective. That would significantly reduce the cost of exhaust customizations.

3. Using Aerocharger turbos removes the need for additional electronic management as they are self regulating. The standard motronics could be used with reprogrammed chips. ND is our resident ecu/chip guru.

4. The Bosche MAF's can read slightly over atmosphere, but not enough for a turbo application. There are 6-pin MAF's available specifically for turbo applications. Reprogrammed chips would have to take into account the wider range of signal variation.

5. Corky Bell has a rising rate FPR for turbo upgrades, but even with that the injectors would need to be upgraded as the stock ones are pretty close to full duty cycle at WOT. The OEM fuel pumps should be okay.

6. Intercooler: The least expensive route would be one larger intercooler mounted roughly where the airbox sits and then feeding into the intake plenum. This isn't the best place to effectively cool the charge air, but going with two intercoolers mounted lower to take advantage of air flow from the side strakes (or a water cooled intercooler) starts getting pricey.

7. My research into a DIY turbo project ended when I saw how tough it would be to get a BAR cert in California. The ideal solution would be something that can be legally registered/smogged and driven on the street; this is obviously variable depending on the state/province. California has to be one of the worst when it comes to mods.

FatBillyBob was considering a low-boost turbo set up on his 348 before he sold it - maybe he can chime in with some words of wisdom?

25. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    How about a supercharger mounted up front where the fuel tank used to be? (put a fuel cell in the front boot,plenty of room) Seems a lot easier to me and less money. Throw in bigger injctors and mafs. Pay to have the fuel maps/chipping done, and away you go! Scott