GM Isn't Such a Joke: New ZR1 video | FerrariChat

GM Isn't Such a Joke: New ZR1 video

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by teak360, Sep 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Is the replacement of the pathetic clear see thru hood with on completely steel one an no cost option ?

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    OK, that part is stupid. Really stupid.

4. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    #4 6.0 se, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
    Great video. Thank you! Long Live American Muscle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The money is fairly high I think. Not MSRP, but what it will take to get one...at least for the first 6-8 months. High is relative of course. A value compared to most if not all of the world class cars it can and will destroy at the track...or strip.

5. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    600+hp in a 3xxx lb car is gonna be a fun time. And with it being supercharged a simple pulley swap will boost it up to 700. If you use the engine as a buidling block and put turbos on it since its forged already then the skys the limit. My guess is 1100hp on stock everything, but we will see once people start blowing them up while turning the whick up.

6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
  7. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    if the hood is the biggest complaint people have then GM did a great job with this car :D

8. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    The folks at Eaton say that with the stock pulley, the computer is programmed to around 50% boost to attain the numbers GM lists. No pulley swap necessary.

9. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    It sounds like you just need to change the bypass valve on the supercharger and reflash the computer then you will have a real beast on your hands. I love eaton blown chevys. I think it would look bad ass if you throw a 1 inch cowel hood to replace that awful hood it has now.

10. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    All together now:

REPOST

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Steel one? On a Corvette?

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    GM came very close to making me a die hard vette fan for life. I love this car but the main thing that makes this car the **** is also the reason why i don't like it. Supercharged! Are you serious? I think thats a page out of ford right there. They should have went with a factory Twin Turbo system insead of a Supercharger.

Iam not feeling the Supercharger. :(

13. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    power is power :shrug:

if anything, i wish they could have went N/A

14. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    #14 6.0 se, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008

That's the answer. Easier to bolt on the S/C...or Turbos. A little more difficult and costly to go N/A. Not trying to underplay the car...but N/A would have impressed me alot more.

15. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Twin turbochargers would not have fit.

And why is a supercharger a "Ford" thing? GM used them on production cars first....

16. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    The good thing about a motor that comes boosted from the factory is forged internals and low compression motors setup for boost. Lets just hope Chevy doesnt skimp at put cast pistons in it. The nice thing about this is swap out the supercharger for a sheet metal intake and some hair dryers and make big power.

I will agree partially, a supercharger is easy turbos are more trickey finding places to put them. Big power N/A takes money and research with heads, cams, and intakes. Anyone can make stupid power with some boost and make it work well. Theres a reason why many fast cars are boosted. With that said I like blown/turbo cars boost is a drug for sure.

17. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Yes...the rush of a S/C or Turbo car under full throttle is incomparable...particularly if you add a 400 shot of Nitrous on top of it!! However...I prefer the good ole big block...about 8.4 liters to be exact...and then add that little extra shot for the rush that may be missing!!

18. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Aj has anyone ever told you your a crazy man?

19. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    #19 6.0 se, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  20. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Wow it sounds like that is pretty close to its limits from the factory. Theres still ways to bring down the temps of the intercooler with water or meth. Im not really into turbo cars but cant you run an air to water intercooler to bring temps down.

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    ZR1 (and really the whole Vette lineup), the new Caddy CTS-V, the new Malibu (a sharp, if not vaguely Lexus-like economy sedan), the new Camaro - GM appears to be coming around on the product. I'm picky about cars and have never owned an American-made car, but honestly the new GM offerings are cars I would consider driving.