308 V12 conversion begins | Page 65 | FerrariChat

308 V12 conversion begins

Discussion in '308/328' started by mk e, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Mark,

FWIW: I am running two Electromotive ECU's on my subaru powered aircraft.

The TPS is shared - works just fine.
    The rest of the sensors is doubled - for reasons of reliability. Don't want to pilot a glider when one sensor goes.

I have my crank angle sensors 180 degrees apart. I'm not running sequential, and therefore the 180 degrees don't matter much. Just needed to swap channel 1 and 2 for ignition and injection on my backup ECU.

I've seen similar setups with MAP sensor shared. Worked fine too.

I like the concept of treating your V12 as two inline 6's. Heck, you could even switch off one bank on purpose if you'd want to save a bit of fuel during a longer trip.

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    You're right that 60 is a tad big. I'm not sure how the engine will do with fuel but .45-.5 bsfc I guess which yields 46-51lb at 65% or 50-56lb at 60% for 800 hp by my math. Not knowing exactly I would rather set up to end with the duty cyle low rather than high I think. 48 and 52 I think are standard sizes on the low ens or 60 on the high end.

I guess the point is that with staged injectors I don't really have to guess right and it will still drive the best it possibly can around town becasue it will be on 19ish lb injectors and still make all the power it can. I'll probably aim for a total or about 55lb/hr so maybe a 19 and a 36 which are both very standard sizes I think.

3. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    But, do any of the ECUs allow you to have two separate fuel maps to run the primary injectors as well as the secondary injectors from one ECU?

4. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    How about one ECU for the 12 primary injectors and one for the 12 secondary? Two ECU's means two fuel maps. It will be a bit of a puzzle to program the fuel maps thus that the small injectors fade out and the big ones fade in as rpms climb, but certainly doable...

Might as well use the ECU for the 12 big injectors sequentially, and the one for the 12 small injectors in batch (so using only 6 outputs on this one). And then use the remaining ECU outputs of that second ECU for wasted spark ignition... Since the small injectors are used for low rpms only, it won't hurt to drive these in batch, while you still benefit from sequential injection at higher rpms....

just a thought...

5. zagato750gt

zagato750gt Rookie

Apr 28, 2005
    Munich Germany
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Sorry don't know how to do the quote thing.............

`I guess the point is that with staged injectors I don't really have to guess right and it will still drive the best it possibly can around town becasue it will be on 19ish lb injectors and still make all the power it can. I'll probably aim for a total or about 55lb/hr so maybe a 19 and a 36 which are both very standard sizes I think´

I think Mark is planning on the total combined lb/hr of the two injectors at WOT, i.e 19+36=55, so not fading out the small to run the big.

Nick

6. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Yes, only two things: I think if anything you want the sequential injection on the small ones. And, with this setup, you don't get a limp home mode, or maybe only a 50% chance - you might be able to limp home on the small injectors, but unless you have an alternative map for this situation, not on the big ones.

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    24 injectors with 4 fuel rails and associated plumbing, and wiring to all that. The space is already reasonably limited. Besides it making maintenance a nightmare, I think the set-up is a disaster waiting to happen. Keep the extinguisher handy, too many hoses/connections and heat in one space.

In theory it is all nice and doable, albeit complicated to programme/tune. Pratctically I don't see this as a solution for a reliable set-up. All the debate about limping home on one bank is nice, but the over-complication only reduces reliability. You engineer to use, not to break down.

IMO, if a few horses have to be sacrificed in order to obtain a reliable and maintaineble set-up, it would make sense to do so. The transversal placement of the engine is already a compromise at best, and it doesn't make sense to have an enormous over-capacity in the HP camp where other factors limit their full use.

IIRC, the outset was to obtain effortless city-driving as one of the primary criteria. The possibilities of what is obtainable with the heads diluted this somewhat, and it would be wise to re-focus on what was/or now is the main objective. It is easy to get caught by shipwright's disease.

8. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1608 Artvonne, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
    A gaggle of big whompin Webers would solve all these problems. No wires running all over the place, no multiple ecu's to configure, no mass quantities of sensors and associated hardware to screw things up, no megapounds of fuel pressure waiting to burst a line, no massive fuel pump to keep it up, and a sound that would probably be on a level unheard of. I cant even imagine what a webered 4 cam 4 valve cammed up large bore V-12 would sound like, but I bet it would make everyones hair stand on end. Plus its pretty hard to beat the looks of them, theyre just so darn purdy. So it costs a couple ponies, its still going to be so wild and one off no one will ever come close to matching it, and youll still have more power than any sane person needs in a 308.

I know Mark wont do it, he hates carbs, but even he has to admit its a simple, effective and elegant alternative.

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #1609 mk e, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    VEMS Jason got back to me and while the unit will do staged injection it will not currently control more than 8 injectors….but that is on to do list. He contacted the firmware guys to see what it would take to either steal the 4 stepper motor outputs or 4 of the 8 ignition outputs for fuel and find out how long to make it happen.

This would be a really good option if it turns out they can make the upgrade because the worst case is I still have 4 ignition outputs from each ecu and possibly all 8. That means waste spark ignition would be no problem and possibly true direct fire would be availably, either way I wouldn’t need distributors . The ignition module is built in so I won’t need that and they cost about ½ what a haltech E11 costs.

Jason also recommended a reliable, inexpensive hall effect sense to use for the crank trigger. I’ll get a couple of those and mount them in the bell housing. If the new firmware plan doesn’t work out with the VEMS I can fall back to the haltech and the same sensors will work fine and I’m machining the cams to accept a distributor drive just in case. One change I’m making is the spec sheet for the sensor specifies a larger tooth as optimal than I had in my design, so changed from the 60-2 pattern to a 36-1 pattern which is also very standard and allows a larger tooth. Technically less teeth means it takes longer for the ECU to sense and rpm change but even at idle and with only 36 teeth it sees 1000 teeth per second or 1 every ms…that doesn’t seem like a problem. For comparison my old set-up only had 4 teeth and it ran just fine.

The steel for the flywheel arrived yesterday so as soon as I finalize a couple more little things the cutting can begin. I realized the other day that my crank has an adapter for the auto trans stuff the 400i had pressed in where the pilot bearing should be so I need to get that out and measure to figure out what the center bore of the flywheel needs to be. I also need to decide exactly where in the bellhousing I want to mount the crank sensors so I can time the trigger ring on the flywheel properly. I’ll probably look at these things tonight instead of working on the cams so I can wrap up the flywheel design and get it to they guys in the shop to get rolling on.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Splitting the maps to run 1 set of injectors with 1 ecu and the others with the other would be a HUGE problem. The cross over point is load dependant and the 2 eucs would just never stay sync'd on where that point is. Also the tuning mpas in the 2 ECUs would be different making tuning that much harder.

What I'm going to do is a 6 cylinder engines. The maps in both ECUs will be identical and the if the ecus are slgithly out of sync on load sensing it makes no difference. Thsi is the only way to do it that makes sense.

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yup.

to quote, just click the "quote" botton in the lower rigth corner of the post you want to quote. it will automatically open a new post for you with the original info in the quote format. To do it manually start with [quote) type or paste whatever then end with [/quote) but replace the ) with ]

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It'll be fine......

The low end drivablitly with be very good, much better than stock for sure with the engine anf EFI configured the way I'm planning.

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    They are simple and I like that about them.....they just don't work very well and certainly are not capable of running this engine for street use.

14. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    I didn't imply a sharp cutoff point between one ECU and the other, but more a gradual overlap. Just let the big ones come in slowly at higher rpm's while the small ones fade out. Something like that. It would then be a matter of adding both fuel maps up to get to the total amount of injected fuel. I agree that a sharp cutoff would never work.

But like I said, it's just a thought...

15. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Why not doing it the other way round? Use the big ones for most driving situations, and the small ones to give that extra bit when pushing it. You could at the point where it is warranted to add fuel keep the map for the big ones a constant at 65% capacity and create a relatively simple map for extra fuel. At least the biggest part of the mapping would concern only 1 ECU.

If the ECU's can contain more than 1 map, you could programme them both to contain the map for the big injectors and switch if there's a problem. The 36's will still allow for a reasonably spirited drive.

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The problem is you can't start the second set of injectors at 0 to go up becasue you can't really control anything beloe about 1.4ms so the second set has to come on at 1.4ms or there about. That measns the primary set need to step down at exactly the same time the seconaries come on or you'll have way too much fuel and the only way to know it's happening at exactly the same time is if 1 ecu is controlling both sets.

There are 2 common set-ups. one is the primarys step dow a programed amount at the trigger point for the secondaries and then stay at that setting with all the tuning from there up done withthe secondaries. this is the method I personally like the best. The second method is that at the trigger point both injectors fire for 1/2 the programed time....it's harder to tune the transition if the 2 injectors are not both the same size with this method.

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Both ECUs must contain the same maps with each ecu controling everything on the 1/2 the engine or they will get all out of sync and there will be problems at the secondary injector trigger point.

Ideally the primary injectors will be small enough to only handle only idle and cruise giving the most control where it's most needed. Then the bigger injectors feed the engine from about 1/3 throttle and up where slight variations mean much less relative to the total flow. This is IMO the best way to make what is really a race engine behave on the street like a street engine. It’s also the best way to make hp because at power most of the fuel is injected near the top of the intake runner giving the most time possible to fully atomize.

I think 2 maps are allowed in both the ECUs I'm considering.

I am fitting the flywheel with a 36-1 trigger which means that I could run waste spark and semi-sequential injection from 1 ecu with no cam senor or second ecu needed. This is another fall back position if I find problems with the complicated system and I’m sure it will work…just not as well as the more sophisticated system.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  19. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #1620 mk e, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I popped the adapter out of the crank and the hole in the crank is 35mm just like all the other ferrari cranks. I also took a look at the crank timing and the #1 throw is directly in like with the bolt hole right next to the pin....that makes it easy.

The sensor really wants to be mounted to the engine it looks like instead of the bell housing so I'll need to think about that a little bit.

I fininished the second cam and most of the 3rd. 1 more night on the holes then I need to make some clearance on the intakes for the oversize buckets by shortening the bearing journal area 2mm....then they are finally real to ship.

21. jbarr89

jbarr89 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jason
    just curious, how many times have you asked yourself the question "Is ALL of this REALLY worth it?" It's looking good by the way...

22. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Mark is married with children (one)

He NEEDS to do this. :)

23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    :)

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    ECU Jason says if I use hall effect pickups the 2 ECUs will share the signal with no problem so all I need is 1 crank sensor and 1 cam sensor and so things just keep getting easier. He’s showing my flywheel trigger wheel design to his hardware guy to make sure he’s happy with everything before I start cutting metal.

After some time to process the crank sensor position I realized I hadn’t been thinking very well at all. The bell housing is basically round and will bolt on to the back of the block. The block however is a ½ circle and I’ll need to make a bolt on filler piece to cover the bottom ½ of the flywheel….the same flywheel with the trigger ring cut on it. Clearly the sensor or sensors go on that filler piece. Enough thinking about that.

25. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Mark,
    Was weight differences between the two set-ups ever established? Am wondering how much more the 400 engine weighs.
    Bruce