Remove scratches from 328 GTS windshield | FerrariChat

Remove scratches from 328 GTS windshield

Discussion in '308/328' started by JR328, Sep 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JR328

JR328 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    John
    I have several scratches on the inside surface of my windshield (previous owner was wearing a ring w/ diamonds when cleaning glass). What is the best way to remove these scratches? Do they make replacement windshields for an '89 329 GTS? If not, I thought the next best thing to do is to remove the windshield and have them ground out. Any advice? I live in the Chicago area. Thank you.

2. blmjumper

blmjumper Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2006
    Boise
    Full Name:
    Ty
    I've a similar scratch on the inside of the windshield. Always wondered how it got there. I've seen a few windshields on ebay from time to time, but don't have anything beyond that.

I remember a commercial for a liquid one could use to remove scratches from eyeglasses. Some kind of resin...never tried it out but might work. I'll see if I can remember or figure out what that stuff was called.

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I don't know for sure, but some window repair places that use that vacuum system, might be able to fix small scratches or suggest something. I had a small ding in the 'T' and for about $50 [I think] it went away.

4. Tifoso

Tifoso Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2005
    Concord, NH
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Before doing anything drastic, you may want to try applying glass polish (available from a few sources - see, e.g., www.properautocare.com) with a random orbital buffer and a fairly aggressive pad.

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    The general rule with scratches in glass is that if you can catch a finger nail in it then its usually too deep to polish out. Otherwise the stuff you need is called Cerium Oxide. You can buy glass polishing kits off the web and you mix the stuff up with water & then have at it with a felt pad in the end of a drill (making sure not to let the glass get too hot).

6. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    I would not recommend taking the glass out to be polished unless you are prepared to replace the entire windshield. There's a good possiblity that the windshield will chip or break from the removal if it is not done perfectly. Search "windshield removal" on Fchat for more information. In addition, the cost of removing the windshield in labor would not be cheap.

I would recommend trying to polish the scratches to minimize the look. Also be careful with the polisher if you are using a mechanical polisher, it may damage the dash if you do not protect the dash with a cover.