308 V12 conversion begins | Page 66 | FerrariChat

308 V12 conversion begins

Discussion in '308/328' started by mk e, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbarr89

jbarr89 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Since you put it that way, I TOTALLY understand... :)

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I don't have any good way to weigh it. Quite a bit of weight is coming out of the engine bay and off the 400 from stock. This engine will be lighter than the supercharged V8 for sure and I think it will end up lighter than the stock V8 set-up.

I guess I could use the bathroom scale and a lever to get close once it’s an engine then I just need to know the weight of a QV engine for comparison.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I made a list of what I can see that I still have left to do......sh*t I'll be at this at for least another year....I hate lists :(

4. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    post your list . .. makes all of us with on going projects feel like we're almost done before we start ;).

cheers

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It's on my other computer, I'll post it Monday. It's probably more scary to me than most becasue it's pretty general like "make headers" , but making headers for this thing is probably a 40-80 hour job and I need them finished before I can do the exhaust porting on the heads.

Tonight I just about finished the cam drilling. 30 minutes tomorrow and that will be done. Then I just have to ajust the intake cam journals and they are ready to ship. I should have them on there way tuesday or wednesday at the lastest I'm thinking.

6. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris

Yeah, i know that feeling too. :eek:

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Simply Fantastic!

It's is going to be so much fun put all of those beautifully made parts together for the final build. Also, what a blast to drive. Got a cigarette!

8. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    at least you've got "make block" checked off ;)

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Fab work
    flywheel
    bell housing
    drop gears
    Starter Mods
    Head studs

dry sump pump
    oil tank
    oil lines

cylinder liners
    pistons

Headers
    exhaust

clutch master
    brake master
    hydraulic lines
    brake calipers

ECU
    Select ECU
    sensors
    wiring harness

Heads
    porting intake
    intake manifold
    Move intake valves
    Exhaust porting

Cams
    Drill/tap
    resize intake journals
    Grind

Assemble engine

assemble trans

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Only 28 steps. Not bad ;)

11. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    I'm curious why you need to do the headers before the head porting. What's the thinking here?

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Everything has to match. The head will flow differently with the intake manifold and headers attached than it does without them, so for the numbers to mean anything the head has to be tested in the configuration I intend to run. I know a lot (most) people don't take this step, but it's pretty important.

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm thinking it should give me time to get in and out of AA just about 3 times :)

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #1639 mk e, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got the drilling finished up tonight and everything looks good. Notice my cams are slightly smaller OD on the flange than the stock 400 cam, that allows the pulley to be mounted backwards which save me the room I needed to put the chain in line.

I also got the 22 intakes in the lathe (just barely - notice the tail stock only 1/2 way on the machine) and cut 1mm off each end of the bearing journals so the oversize and re-spaced buckets won't run into them....but they'll be close by my math, .010"-.015" I think :)

I thought I was going to pack them up but I realized I still need a cross hole at the end of the 2 intakes to pin the distributor drive in place if I decide to run it. I have to change the setup on the mill and I'm tired so it will keep until tomorrow. It looks like they will ship to the grinder Wednesday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    go Mark ... . . go Mark (musical tone from 90's dance groove :))

16. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    #1641 Protouring442, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Were lucky he didnt cast a custom block and heads, no?

18. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Yeah, No kidding!

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Mark's stuff is so over my head it pisses me off!

20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #1645 mk e, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    I'm thinking it that would have beed the easier way to go at this point......

After one of those "oh f*ck this" days at work I spent most of the night on Moster.com before moving on to the car and packing up the cams.....when I ran out of packing tape boxing the cams....one of those days.

The flywheel is in the shop. I beefed up the ribs on the back a bit so now it's up to 7.5 lbs. Hopefully they'll be able to get at it quickly so I can get going on the bell housing.

The new larger TB hasn't shown up so the porting is still stalled, although I do need to try cutting the seats with the new cutter and see what it does for flow. I might have at the QV heads and get them ready to sell to recharge the account while I'm waiting....Lana won't be happy to see a cam grinding bill and an empty ferrari account.

21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I had a head start, I was just working on drilling bolt holes the last couple days.

The shifter knob looks great...I wish I was up to replacing the shifter knob :)

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Oh come-on, that's just becasue you've got the sense to know better.....

23. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    When you start to think about mounting the clutch master cylinder make sure you don't overstroke it. The Tilton and the Wilwood have about 1.125 inches stroke. If you mount it so it bottoms out when the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down the master cylinder won't last long and the spring in the Tilton pressure plate will get weak prematurely. I've made both of these mistakes. An adjustable pedal stop should be used but that may be something you don't want to deal with on a street car. If you can mount the pushrod on the pedal at a point where you get about .875 to 1.000 travel full stroke it will have a real nice feel. Probably way down the road after you get the motor in the car but figured someone else might read this and learn from my mistakes.

24. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    I think the relatively long length of the header tubes will give you a less realistic picture than if you just bolted a short straight (matched) tube to the port. Actually a bell mouth might be more realistic. There's no way you can simulate the extraction effect which the headers will produce in real life, and they may actually impede flow artificially on the bench.
    This is of course just theory which means very little....

25. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Titlon makes a big point of this....there was even a seal on the throwout bearing box that said a pedal stop is required.

My plan is to do basically exactly what you sugest. A .700 bore master is just big enough to work and needs about a .900" stroke. I'll use that and adjust the attachment to pedal point to get the correct throw....I think.