Next Car I Am Considering: Volvo C70 Vert | FerrariChat

Next Car I Am Considering: Volvo C70 Vert

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by REMIX, Sep 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#1 REMIX, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone have one?

Looks like a decent car. Not too teenage boy racer like the Infiniti coupe (I still like this car btw) and not too flashy and in your face like an MB SL. But retractable hardtop, not bad lookin', safe car. Not the fastest thing on the planet but has all the right stuff: navi, Bluetooth, sat radio, sat traffic, iPod integration, Xenons, and a drop top to boot. Lease deals aren't too bad, either. Weather's cooling off here, soon it will be in the 70s until May of next year. I think a black/grey one would be nice.

Pros and cons?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. REMIX

Ya think? Chick car to me: SC430, Z4, Miata, Boxster.

RMX

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I see a few of them around town, always driven by middle aged women (maybe "cougar car" not chick car)

I do think it is a very tidy design, clean and sophisticated. but its something I'd buy for a wife/gf not myself.

I consider those you listed to also be chick cars except for the Boxster

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My brother had one. Its about as bland as a car can be.

Definately dont let them see you showing up at the club in it...

Time to re-think my friend.

6. REMIX

The Boxster is forever tainted by Ralphie Cifaretto (The Soprano's): I ever tell you about the time I had a harley ? Whoa, cool. '74, shovel-head. I could blow off porsches on that thing. Not my dad's boxster. What's your name ? Matt. Matt, no offense, but your dad's boxster is porsche with panties. Aw, he knows what I'm sayin'. I mean, that's for the hamptons, the boxster. I'm talkin' turbo-carrera. One time I'm alongside this turbo with doctor plates. We come off the line, he's got this big jew grin. You're not jewish are you, matt ? Half. Anyway, he knows it's all in fun. We hit the intersection of passaic avenue and new dutch lane, we're doin' 110. Boom ! Right through the light. He wasn't grinnin' then, boy.

RMX

7. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Pininfarina did the styling, I think they build the car along with Volvo in a joint venture. I like them better than the VW Eos. It is not a BMW 325i C though.

8. REMIX

Keep in mind Jerry, I kinda need "bland" for my day job. That's why I nixed the 911 idea a few weeks back.

RMX

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Its a good car....and not a chick car.

I've considered this as well.......my take is that its too expensive. I think the best value in a hardtop convertible is a Volkswagen EOS, can get a 2.0 turbocharged engine model brand new for $30k......look into it, you'll be impressed.

10. REMIX

The EOS is too close to my girl's old VW Cabrio (which I hated driving - chicks at the Arby's drive thru loved it, though). The Volvo is bigger and that's why I was thinking about it.

RMX

11. REMIX

Off topic: does anyone think the Austin Mini is a chick car. I am undecided on this.

RMX

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    original or the new Mini Cooper?

EOS is even more of a chick car than the Volvo in my opinion.

as one of the above posters mentioned, BMW 3 series if you want a 'vert in that category.

btw, base Boxster with a tiptronic=chick car. Boxster S with a manual=not a chick car (IMO)

13. REMIX

New Mini, not the old.

FWIW, I managed to option out a Mini vert on their website to the tune of $50k. LOL.

RMX

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Mini Cooper 'vert=chick car. One more and we'll have to see your man card...

how about a Mustang GT500?

15. REMIX

Mustang has some weird option combos - can't have navi with an iPod adapter, crap like that. I optioned one just 20 minutes ago.

The BMW 3 series - too yuppie Polo shirt for me. Getting some basic options sends the car over 50k. Too much IMO. At that point I'll look at a heavily discounted Corvette vert.

RMX

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if you don't need 4 seats that would be a great option, lots of deals out there now.

17. REMIX

Yeah, but I didn't want to spend 50k. If I start ticking boxes for options, the price gets pretty scary. I also start wondering how it looks driving around in one of these (a little too flashy). I passed up a very nice 911 for this very reason. I need something somewhat sedate.

RMX

18. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Had one as a press car. HATED IT.

Chassis like a wet noodle, tons of cowl shake, underpowered.

and I'm a Volvo fan, my daily is a V70R.

19. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Pro's: It's a Volvo.
    Con's: It's a Volvo.

If you WANT a Volvo that is worth owning try an original 4-door T5. Other than that have you considered a 4-door M3 or older, yet just as safe and reliable, M5?

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I understand.

But I cant understand spending that kind of cash (cuz Volvos aint cheap) on something boring.

If you have resigned yourself to being understated for your day job (which I understand) and you want a vert then I think you should stick to used (hey if this isnt a car you are passionate about why eat the depreciation ?) and consider the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 (the verts are nice), Benz CLK vert and Mustangs.

I stress USED... cap yourself at $25k (all above can be had for less than $25k) and stick the rest into that savings for the Viper dude...

I agree the EOS is a total chick car as is the Mini vert.

21. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    If it was me, it would be a 128 or better yet, a 135. No deals on them, they're heavy for the size and it's a Bim, but they do drive extremely well.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    RMX, as anunakki suggests if you're willing to consider used a CLK would be a great choice, those things are very cheap right now.

(get the extended warranty just in case)

23. hd4meat

hd4meat Rookie

Apr 23, 2005
    SF/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    HD
    how about a saab 9-3 vert? Same idea and class as the volvo, but a little more character.

24. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Volvo- boring to drive, boring to look at. Great car in the snow. Not sure if the newer ones are built as well as the old ones. ReMix: you are looking for something that is 'under the radar' for clients, right? Why not find a 60's muscle car convertible- the market for these is now soft, and even the most red-necked, cheap-ass client prospect will probably not fault you for owning an American car. And, it is something you might enjoy driving.

25. silk32

silk32 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2005
    ASS MASS N.Attleboro
    Full Name:
    matt
    how about a A4 or the new C class?